3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
horsforthmariner
September 12, 2017, 11:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
Im absolutely freezing and still pretty wet!
Good result, decent perfomance.

First half we started brightly before Accrington came into the game. Jones's goal came against the run of the play.  We then got sucker punched with some poor defending.

Second half we were the better side and Wolford's goal was very well taken.

Overall Matt was my MOTM, an absolute nightmare for defenders, won plenty of headers, used his physical presence really well and looks the part. Worked his backside off too. I think he is the best striker we have

Jones and Dembele both did really well and Wolford looks like he's got a lot of technical ability and he caused their full back loads of problems.

On the negative side - All our defenders were over 30 and it showed, Clarke and Collins didn't convince me.
I think we've got enough quality to not be in the relegation scrap but nowhere near enough for a top 7 finish.
Logged Online
Private Message
forza ivano
September 12, 2017, 11:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,138
Gold Stars: 265
Just seen the highlights.2 excellent bits of finishing, especially wolford
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
KingstonMariner
September 12, 2017, 11:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Pretty much agree with Horsforth. Jones looked on his game especially second half and can be a beast of a player, Dembele did a couple of beautiful little runs, and the midfield as a whole battled hard if not always efficiently. 'A' for effort tonight.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Teestogreen
September 12, 2017, 11:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
Beat me to it HM.

On the way back, I was thinking - what were the main reasons Town won that game:  

Matt - because he was a mobile, physically able striker who, despite the attentions of the Acc. centre back and little change out of the ref: managed to drive Accrington back, which enabled Town to move and play some football in Accrington's half, which then gave Town's defenders some time to regain composure.

Woolford - was then able to show his capabilities in terms of moving the ball around with trickery and 1-2s - I enjoyed his performance and lovely delicate finish for the winner.

Dembele -  was sensational first half with some of his midfield bursts

Sam Jones - also played well as a target and also showed exceptional pace bursting forward plus nice touches as well.

All of this helped Town defenders and I thought second half they were resolute and concentrated really well, when Accrington put some crosses in - Collins in particular dealt with the aerial stuff - although Accrington forwards were not the tallest.

Most important - a win - nice to go home with a glow inside - despite the persistent rain most of the match.

Well done Town.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
arryarryarry
September 13, 2017, 12:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Agree with all, a much better battling performance.

Matt made all the difference up front and should really have scored, so much more effort than Hooper has shown in all his games.

Impressed by most players but towards the end Woolford, Matt and Dembele were all pooped out. Summerfield came on and did well, helped shore up the midfield as Rose didn't look that good again.

Two very well taken goals, but as already mentioned some dopey defending again at times but in the last 10 minutes or so all the defenders were throwing their bodies in the way.

Another similar effort on Saturday will do please.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
arryarryarry
September 13, 2017, 12:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
topuphere666
September 13, 2017, 6:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Sounded like a promising second half and hopefully we can kick on and put a run together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
gobby
September 13, 2017, 7:22am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 7
Enjoyable evening in a wet damp dark place. Matt ran their defense all over the place, Jones was playing off him and getting plenty of the ball to keep pressing. Clarke and Collins gave Jackson 1 chance and he took it otherwise I felt they contained him quite well. I can see why he is scoring well for them with the service he was getting from their 2 nippy wingers. Cracking save from Macca at the start of the 2nd half which allowed us to press and score straight after it. MOM was Matt for me as he had a good battle with their No 3. Ref played well at Wembley a couple of seasons ago but we never won a lot off him tonight.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
lukeo
September 13, 2017, 7:24am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Nice to read some good comments about the way we played, hate to admit but after watching the highlights both goals came from a long ball  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
Cloudy
September 13, 2017, 7:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Slightly different opinion to the op as I thought the defence, especially 2nd half was very strong. Davies and Clarke in particular despite coming under pressure from a string of free kicks given by a ref who seemed to give them everything for the slightest of nudges yet virtually nothing for far worse the other way.

McKeown made a couple of excellent saves especially the one with his legs within seconds of the second half. Dembele had two or three excellent runs in the first half but twice his touch let him down when in on goal. He became more frustrated and was again booked for kicking out. Still a youngster must must try and learn and bounce back from the rough treatment by scoring and creating goals.

Summerfield was excellent when he came on tackling, covering the ground and getting us on the front foot.

Matt was excellent. Gave as good as he got with a real physical presence against a couple of strong centre backs whilst Jones was outstanding, strong and aware of the position of opponents and team mates alike. Great skill for the goal and created the winner too.

Stanley are a decent side, very strong at centre back, flying wingers in numbers seven and eleven and Jackson and Kee up top. The sub in the second half was good too, evidently on loan from Leeds and the player who was reported to have lost his brother in some gangland killing a year or so ago.

Overall a team performance, better going forward but considerably better at the back against the team who were the leading scorers in the FL before kick off which shows how well they did
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.