3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
September 11, 2017, 7:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
People seem to have got it into their minds that all our issues have derived from playing 4231. It's not the formations that are the issue, it's the way were trying to play within them. Personally, I don't get the obession with 442, it is no way neat as successful as it was 10 years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
arryarryarry
September 11, 2017, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
From where I've been sitting I'm not sure it matters which formation we use, crap players are still crap no matter where you play them.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Garth
September 11, 2017, 7:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Maringer
I'd perhaps expect a 4-4-1-1 and I think this would best suit Jones who probably remains our best goal threat, disappointing though he has generally been this season. Effectively a 4-5-1 when defending.

Not sure how well up to speed Matt is by now, but I expect he would be better as a lone(ish) striker as he's bigger and reportedly quicker than our other options up top.

This being the case, I'd go for the following:

McKeown
   Davies  Clarke  Osborne  Dixon
Dembele  Rose  Clements  Woolford
                    Jones
                     Matt

Perhaps a little harsh on Berrett who has been better of late than we saw last season, but I think Clements is much stronger aerially and in the tackle, not to mention his goal threat.

For that matter, I wouldn't perhaps be too upset seeing Bolarinwa playing on the left for his pace, strength and workrate. It would perhaps be a defensive move if Woolford is expected to be a more able attacker, but I'm not convinced he's anywhere near up to pace yet.

Clements was well off the pace against Hartlepool`s finest second eleven and looked overweight, Berrett will play or Summerfield probably.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
jamesgtfc
September 11, 2017, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
McKeown
Davies Osborne Collins Dixon
DJ Clifton Rose Woolford
Jones
Matt

Don't think Dembele will be fit and DJ won the penalty Saturday by driving forward with the ball into the box - something Dembele should do more often. If Dembele is fit I would be tempted to play both as they do track back and offer pace which hurts teams. Due to the lack of pace at the back and knowing Jackson has pace to burn, pace in midfield may be necessary.

Matt to hold up the ball and feed supporting midfielders. Clifton had a good game versus Doncaster and has since been overlooked, there can be nothing lost by throwing him in tomorrow night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
chaos33
September 11, 2017, 7:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Not so much a change of system required for me - more a change of general tactics. Can we stop hoofing channel balls and hoping for the best and actually pass to each other, and can the players show some urgency and passion - pressing them, closing them down, especially high up the pitch?  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
lee65
September 11, 2017, 9:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
[quote=259]                     Macca

Davies    Osborne  Collins    Dixon

Rose    Berrett

Dembele      Jones         Woolford

Matt

Taken from the thread by Moosey:  is Macca setting up for an edge of the box free kick here?
(only joking, as he's been playing well  )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
TAGG
September 11, 2017, 9:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Garth

Clements was well off the pace against Hartlepool`s finest second eleven and looked overweight, Berrett will play or Summerfield probably.

Berrett will be the first name on the team sheet 😱😱

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Jarmo.Is.God
September 12, 2017, 8:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from jamesgtfc
McKeown
Davies Osborne Collins Dixon
DJ Clifton Rose Woolford
Jones
Matt

Don't think Dembele will be fit and DJ won the penalty Saturday by driving forward with the ball into the box - something Dembele should do more often. If Dembele is fit I would be tempted to play both as they do track back and offer pace which hurts teams. Due to the lack of pace at the back and knowing Jackson has pace to burn, pace in midfield may be necessary.

Matt to hold up the ball and feed supporting midfielders. Clifton had a good game versus Doncaster and has since been overlooked, there can be nothing lost by throwing him in tomorrow night.

Wouldn't disagree with this.

I think the fight, and determination Clifton will show if he plays, will be greater than the full team from Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
headingly_mariner
September 12, 2017, 8:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
I think Jones and DJ will come in for Hooper and Woodford. I also think we will get a positive result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
Mikey_345
September 12, 2017, 11:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,271
Gold Stars: 95
I think, from what I've seen of him, surely DJ deserves a start.

Macca
Davies Collins Osborne Dixon
Dembele Rose Berrett DJ
Jones
Matt

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Stanley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.