14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
September 9, 2017, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Did we, what was it a handful of magic beans?

A tin of baked beans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 137
jamesgtfc
September 9, 2017, 10:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
I thought we started the game slow but between that Osborne effort and their penalty we were the better team.  Second half we came out and made a half decent start but again, once they scored our confidence looked shot.

The key difference to me was the huge gap between midfield and defence which meant Mansfield won every second ball. Angol won virtually everything in the air for them whilst Vernon/Hooper won next to nothing in the air.

The two times we got the ball on the floor we looked good.

4-1 flattered Mansfield but we don't look like getting near the goal, never mind scoring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 137
joe56
September 10, 2017, 1:04am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
You're the second person on this thread to accuse Vernon of winning very little in the air. This is simply not true. From where I was sitting (not behind the goal), he won most aerial challenges. That was the aspect of his game that impressed me most. In fact, he played his usual role well. It's just that there's little flexibility beyond that, and he looks as though he really doesn't expect to score goals. His failure to convert a simple free header today just about summed it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 137
Mrs Doyle
September 10, 2017, 7:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from ginnywings
So we have to stop being milky, start being ugly and do the basics. Slade cliche bingo.

lol we start being hard and get players sent off  ya canny make this shitt up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 137
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 10, 2017, 9:08am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Gone backwards so much in the last year, from signing up and coming players with talent to signing journeyman and older players on 2 year deals that don't cut it. I thought we stopped doing excrement like that. We built a good strong team that needed a few players that were technical to help it. We've basically dismantled everything and gone back to 2010 again.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 137
wycombemariner
September 10, 2017, 9:10am
UTM
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: -56
^^^THIS^^^
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 137
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 10, 2017, 9:27am

Brandy Drinker
More and more teams are picking up gems from non league and starting to go that route. Peterborough are a good example of doing this, they don't get massive crowds but they gather non league players and get a good profit from a chunk of them and they comfortably stay in league 1 and flirt with play offs. There's a reason slades sliding down the leagues at a rapid rate,  I will support him like I do with every manager until they leave or get the sack but signing players on the way down imo only makes your team slide down.
Utm

Gtfc all the way
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 137
Posh Harry
September 10, 2017, 10:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
More and more teams are picking up gems from non league and starting to go that route. Peterborough are a good example of doing this, they don't get massive crowds but they gather non league players and get a good profit from a chunk of them and they comfortably stay in league 1 and flirt with play offs. There's a reason slades sliding down the leagues at a rapid rate,  I will support him like I do with every manager until they leave or get the sack but signing players on the way down imo only makes your team slide down.
Utm

I think you are spot on Zorro. Slade obviously started in non league management but has been out of that environment for so long that I cannot imagine he has many, or any contacts. As he has been managing at championship and league 1 for so long, his contact base is higher than us. With all the will in the world we would not be competing with almost all of that level of budget. Wilko also in a similar position. This means that they probably only know of players that are earning more than what we can pay, unless they are of a lower quality and therefore no longer wanted by those higher league clubs. So that means at the moment we either get players that others didn't want (Kelly, Hooper), people who are probably past their best (Clarke), or unknown qualities such (Dembele, DJ), or people who 'impress' on trial, but again these are likely to be players that are unwanted elsewhere which means they should have potential to improve, or the manager thinks he can get a tune out of them.

It is early days and to be honest I am hopeful that there are at least 3 or 4 teams that will be worse than us over the season but the concern as others have mentioned is that most of us agreed we had too many players we were stuck with due to length of contract e.g. Summerfield, Berrett, and now we have signed others that are going to give us the same problem at the beginning of next season (again thinking of Kelly and Hooper as examples).

I hope Graham Rodger is going to change this and is trawling the non leagues for young, hungry players who will not cost a fortune but have the right attitude and desire to move forward in the game. A lot of things have been said about Bignot, and his recruitment was mixed but 2 of the best players we have on our books (not taking into account Dembele of course) are Jones and J Osbourne. Both non league where Bignot had his contacts.

As a club we cannot afford to go down again, simple as that. If we get through this season then everyone from the top down needs to have a sustainable 'business model' for the future and it needs to be looking at people from many levels of football and recruiting for current and future. I don't think that is in place with the current management team, whether they can change that or whether it ends up being someone else, well I don't know, but there needs to be a serious long term plan for the club that starts at the top, and if there is one, I'm not sure it is the right one at the moment.

I'm still keeping the faith as it's early in the season, I was never one of those who saw us as play off contenders with the players we have, a nice mid table will do me (especially after the start!)

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 137
grimsby pete
September 10, 2017, 10:44am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Don't forget Bignot got Rose as well Harry,

He will be an asset when or if we ever get his papers complete.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 137
zorro_is_a_Mariner
September 10, 2017, 10:47am

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Don't forget Bignot got Rose as well Harry,

He will be an asset when or if we ever get his papers complete.

Slade signed rose

Gtfc all the way
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.