Manchester Mariner
August 22, 2017, 12:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Just seen this on the Trust's Facebook.

"We've been made aware that Chairman Jon Wood and Vice Chair Paul Savage have been quoted in a story in today's The Sun newspaper. Neither Jon nor Paul spoke to any reporter of The Sun, nor did we send a copy of our open letter to them. We believe they have taken our quotes from other publication's interviews. The Mariners Trust will not speak to the newspaper on any issue either now or in the future. #JFT96"

Predictable behavior from such a shiterag ran by Murdoch.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 112
RoboCod
August 22, 2017, 1:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
While we could do well without the SUN intruding, if it's an 'open' letter I don't see it a much of a problem. I took a quick look (ugh..i'll shower straight away) and there's a photo of the female steward in the toilet amongst the reports....awful, horrible negative stuff for them, it gets worse by the hour, regardless of the media outlet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 112
jock dock tower
August 22, 2017, 1:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Page four of the Guardian today. Nearly choked on my cornflakes!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 112
FishOutOfWater
August 22, 2017, 1:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from jock dock tower
Page four of the Guardian today. Nearly choked on my cornflakes!

At least you weren't on page three of the Sun.... I take it you know why cornflakes were invented Jock?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 112
mimma
August 22, 2017, 3:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
I've borrowed this from the Lincoln vital website.

Even police must take a suspect to a police station to conduct an intimate search.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/representation/legal-briefing-for-supporters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 112
RoboCod
August 22, 2017, 3:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from mimma
I've borrowed this from the Lincoln vital website.

Even police must take a suspect to a police station to conduct an intimate search.

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/representation/legal-briefing-for-supporters

They're up $hit Creek without a paddle, canoe or any sort of clue aren't they?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 112
RichMariner
August 22, 2017, 3:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
They're in a tough situation, made tougher by their poor attempt at a response yesterday.

Apologies for the lengthy post but I used to work in a PR team and these are my thoughts/observations on the story.

In all my time working in that PR team I only had one occasion when the story went national (much in the way this has).

We weren't able to cope with all the phone calls, emails and requests for info. I learnt a lot from that experience and so far I'm seeing Stevenage make the same mistakes.

Firstly, don't take ages to reply. At the very least, act quickly, show you're working fast. Even if you can't say much, just tell people you're taking it seriously and looking into it. NEVER attempt to point the finger at anyone else, even if you think you have fair reason to.

The EFL pretty much did this with their statement. It was more of a holding statement but it's what was required.

The national media are relentless (particularly the Daily Mail). We had people sitting outside our offices, writing down number plates of cars parked outside, threats of doorstepping and all sorts.

Not saying Stevenage will have to deal with that, but basically I'd be surprised if they're able to cope alone with this. They'll probably need support from an external PR agency, which will cost them a bit.

Basically I think they underestimated how far we'd take this. Massively. We're not just a few football fans whinging on social media - as a collective we're a force to be reckoned with. The Trust has done excellent work bringing this story to the attention of football fans across the country. It's a much wider issue than just being 'over-frisked' by bully stewards.

It's generally good practice not to share your complaint with the media until after you've given the 'accused' a chance to reply.

However, in this instance, I have no sympathy. Stevenage didn't give our fans a chance to enjoy the match - a match we paid good money to see - so they can lump it. Why should we treat them with respect when they showed us none?

The thing about this case is that the damage is done. I'm not suggesting the Trust and others involved can put their feet up, because they shouldn't. What I mean is, in most people's eyes, Stevenage now have a reputation for dodgy stewarding because of the media coverage.

Mud sticks - as we know from Derbyshire Police's account of so-called damage we didn't cause in Chesterfield.

Also, if any CCTV footage comes out that shows stewards feeling female supporters' bras, then that's their reputation damaged HUGELY. Because under no circumstances is it ever reasonable to check bras as part of security checks at football matches.

Airports, maybe. Police arrests, yes - in certain protective conditions. Once any image of any bra touching sees the light of day, well, I'd rather not be Stevenage's safety officer, let's put it like that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 56 - 112
mimma
August 22, 2017, 4:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
If children were searched did the person ask the parents permission and do they have an up to date background check.

If they do not have either then they are acting illegally
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 112
bax
August 22, 2017, 4:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
I'd love to see that CCTV footage, because we know exactly what it will show.

Rich is right - I also work in PR and I knew when that letter went out, what would happen. And I can tell you now for free, the Trust isn't letting this rest. If Stevenage aren't taking it seriously, they're in for a shock.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 112
Southwark Mariner
August 22, 2017, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from bax

Rich is right - I also work in PR and I knew when that letter went out, what would happen. And I can tell you now for free, the Trust isn't letting this rest. If Stevenage aren't taking it seriously, they're in for a shock.

Excellent work!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Stevenage Safety Officers Response

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.