This thread currently has 21,966 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimbiggs
July 30, 2017, 12:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
I've been to all the pre-season games against league opposition and Wigan are by far the best. Our back four looked solid once again, especially when Dixon came on. We were disciplined and organised, but it's hard to see were the goals are going to come from. Demebele is certainly decent, but until Osbourne returns, he is our only creative outlet, as the rest of midfield looks predictable, lightweight and pedestrian. So my fear is that once Dembele gets sussed out and marked out of the game, i'm afraid we've got nobody else who can beat a man. Vernon for all is endeavour is to isolated, and not strong enough or good enough to play as a lone striker. We desperately need at least one more striker, a decent wide man, and another creative midfielder. On the postives we huffed and puffed, and generally held our own against what looked like  league 1 play-off contenders, and we will be hard to beat. If we are able to bring in the quality midfielders i mentioned, and a couple of decent strikers, we won't be far off being a play-off side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 133
Mariner_09
July 30, 2017, 9:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
If it is Revell who we're after then a front four of:

Dembele   Jones     Kelly
                 Revell

then that looks quite promising to me, pace and width on the flanks, Revell is the exact type of player to bring the most out of Jones, obviously it's a big "if" that we can get Revell in but that looks far more varied and dangerous than last season's predictable build up.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 133
Superdan147
July 30, 2017, 10:15am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -5
Approval: +112
Gold Stars: 5
My first viewings of town in pre season due to holidays and work commitments and personally I was pretty impressed. As many have said already, we just need that elusive striker who will get us the 15-25 goals I think is needed to get us into them top 7 places. Here's my ratings...

Mckeown-6 did ok, made a few decent saves. Not totally convinced by him but I'm sure we could be doing worse

Mills-6actually thought he struggled yesterday and slade seemed frustrated by him but then again it was against a decent opposition and we know he's solid at league two level

Clarke-8 different class. Organised, composed, won just about everything in the air, superb performance

Collins-7 like Clarke, oozes class.

Davies,7 did well despite being in a left back role, Dixon will be the regular in the position but if Davies is needed then I'm confident he will do a good job

Rose,7 busy, athletic, did the dirty work, impressed overall, room for improvement in terms of passing and making the right decisions but I think there is a really good player potentially

Berrett-5 anonymous, not sure what he really gives us. Surely Clem/os/macca will be better options when available

Dembele-8 class. Exciting. Give him a long term deal now. Super talent and will be a huge player

Jones-5 struggled I thought, so so

Kelly-6 athletic, positive but room for improvement. At league two level, should be decent enough

Vernon-5 huffed and puffed on his own, tries but just isn't quite good enough. Better needed

Osborne, Dixon both did ok off the bench, cardwell disappointed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 133
MuddyWaters
July 30, 2017, 10:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Superdan147

Berrett-4 anonymous, not sure what he really gives us. Surely Clem/os/macca will be better options when available

See the Berrett bashers are up early this morning. Check out his career stats and he was clearly seen as good enough to play over 200 games in League 1. What he gives is passing ability and technique. Maybe you only see what you want to see. Sure Dembele is a real talent but if he gets sussed out in a game or kicked up in the air a few times, it will be the Berretts, McAllisters (if & when fit) etc who will have to pick up the pieces. I don't know if Berrett will be in the team next Saturday but it's clear that Slade likes him and it's time some people got off his back and started supporting all 11 rather than constantly looking for a scapegoat.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 133
Mariner93er
July 30, 2017, 10:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Once again, how is he possibly using berrett as a scapegoat. He's commenting on a friendly which we drew, and thought we played well in. This talk of a scapegoat is getting boring, just because people don't think he's that good, doesn't mean they're getting on his back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 133
Grantley
July 30, 2017, 10:53am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

See the Berrett bashers are up early this morning. Check out his career stats and he was clearly seen as good enough to play over 200 games in League 1. What he gives is passing ability and technique. Maybe you only see what you want to see. Sure Dembele is a real talent but if he gets sussed out in a game or kicked up in the air a few times, it will be the Berretts, McAllisters (if & when fit) etc who will have to pick up the pieces. I don't know if Berrett will be in the team next Saturday but it's clear that Slade likes him and it's time some people got off his back and started supporting all 11 rather than constantly looking for a scapegoat.

So people have to support a player blindly regardless of how good they are?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 133
Hagrid
July 30, 2017, 10:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,986
Gold Stars: 507
Hardly fair to knock him yesterday, he got 20 mins on the pitch for christ sake
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 133
Mariner93er
July 30, 2017, 11:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
He's not knocking him, he was providing a review of what he saw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 133
grimsby pete
July 30, 2017, 11:16am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Well until he got that nasty knock on the head,

Berrett did nothing impressive or bad he was just trying to play the role he was asked.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 133
Hagrid
July 30, 2017, 11:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,986
Gold Stars: 507
Well yeah he is? He called him anonymous- the guy got clattered within the first 20 and up to that point had done okay. Hardly fair to give a review on a player playing 20 minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town vs Wigan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.