lew chaterleys lover
May 19, 2017, 10:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,645
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Would you class a comedy manager someone  who gets drunk loses his car keys , I could go on but won't ...

Wev'e all done that  
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 82
TheGoalKipper
May 19, 2017, 10:46am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from LondonMariner43
"truth is Pearson would probably have got a new contract had Hurst not given Boyce a two year deal."

I tend to agree with this view.  My guess is that RS does not necessarily see SP as a definite first choice centre back next season but would have kept him as a good squad player. However, the number of 2 year contracts given out by PH and MB has left little room for manoeuvre.

I assume the club had discussed some possible terms with SP but would only formalise these in a contract once there was broad agreement. They obviously couldn't offer the sort of terms that SP wanted.  

I've seen mention of 1 vs 2 year contract.  

I imagine that RS is only going to offer 2 year deals to players if he is confident they can transition into L1 after next year, given his goal of promotion.  

RS may well not be convinced that SP will make that step.  In contrast, a less ambitious club may be happy to sign him up for longer.

Thats a good idea if you can do it signing players from L2 and below. Managers get fired very easily for not achieving the clubs/fans? expectations so for the manager to be thinkig that far ahead would be rare IMO

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 82
diehardmariner
May 19, 2017, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,366
Gold Stars: 532
Very fair point made about Pearson and League One, hence a lack of a two-year deal.

Personally I feel Pearson could play at League One but it's all about opinions.

John Tondeur's comments on Humberside seem to suggest it was more a result of budget constraints than anything else.  Problem is we've got a lot of players we don't want with another year on their contracts and we wasted a fair whack of cash in January on players we didn't want or need.

If we're in a position where we can afford a player who probably wouldn't have demanded the earth, it doesn't bode well for the summer recruitment does it?
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 82
TAGG
May 19, 2017, 11:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,971
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from diehardmariner
Very fair point made about Pearson and League One, hence a lack of a two-year deal.

John Tondeur's comments on Humberside seem to suggest it was more a result of budget constraints than anything else.  Problem is we've got a lot of players we don't want with another year on their contracts and we wasted a fair whack of cash in January on players we didn't want or need.

If we're in a position where we can afford a player who probably wouldn't have demanded the earth, it doesn't bode well for the summer recruitment does it?

So we will suffer budget wise now because Fenty let his choice as Manager go crazy in January.
Just shows what an idiot Fenty is.
Appoints a lunatic and then let's him take over the asylum.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 82
Maringer
May 19, 2017, 11:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,380
Gold Stars: 184
My guess would be that he probably wanted at least a two year deal but we wouldn't offer anything longer than a year. Wouldn't surprise me if Slade didn't necessarily see him as a starter next season even if he had stayed, though I think he's certainly got enough ability to be one.

I'll be sad to see him go as he has always been a whole-hearted player who put in the effort and application both on and off the pitch, but wish him well for the future. Hopefully he's got something lined up for two or even three years to provide a bit of stability for his family, even if it means dropping back down a level for a longer contract.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 82
A.l.f.
May 19, 2017, 11:49am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
My take is that personalties like Shaun come along only once in a while.  He was always involved with the community and presentations and Black and White through and through.  Because of this he was responsible for lots of folk going to Blundell park, which in turn not only brought a bond between players and fans but also helped increase revenue.
He was a passionate player for us and 'got us fans' and what our football club means to us, as did Diz.
RS may bring in a better player, but finding someone as committed and hard working will not happen.
Shaun was improving so i feel he was worth a 2 year deal and think the club have been foolish to only offer a 1 year deal as some have hinted.
Have to say that i will miss him being around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 82
MuddyWaters
May 19, 2017, 12:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.61
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,201
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from A.l.f.
My take is that personalties like Shaun come along only once in a while.  He was always involved with the community and presentations and Black and White through and through.  Because of this he was responsible for lots of folk going to Blundell park, which in turn not only brought a bond between players and fans but also helped increase revenue.
He was a passionate player for us and 'got us fans' and what our football club means to us, as did Diz.
RS may bring in a better player, but finding someone as committed and hard working will not happen.
Shaun was improving so i feel he was worth a 2 year deal and think the club have been foolish to only offer a 1 year deal as some have hinted.
Have to say that i will miss him being around.

If the stated aim is League 1 by the time we get the Fentydome then it's up to Slade & Wilko to select players that will get us there. They will look at each player that's here and decide if they feel they can achieve that with no agenda as to what they've done for the club in the past. I'm a big Shaun Pearson fan but he has his limitations and what goes on off the pitch is not as important as what he does on the pitch. If Slade/Wilko feel that they can do better then that's their call but, as I said earlier, I rather feel that he would have got a new contract if Boyce wasn't still here. I'd go as far as to say that I wouldn't be surprised if Boyce was one of those that they've tried to pay off.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 82
Mariners_15
May 19, 2017, 12:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from diehardmariner

It's probably more a case of RS wants to bring 1 or 2 of his own centre halfs in and perhaps only saw Shaun as backup for next season so only wanted to offer him X amount to give him room to manoeuvre in other areas. The length of deal was maybe also a sticking point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 82
fishyfan
May 19, 2017, 12:20pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: -120
what a fickle load of goons you all are. Let the board and Manager sort out their stalls ready for pre season and a promotion push next season and see what happens.

Boring how quick peoples views change, surely you should all know JF and RS want the best for the club this summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 82
moosey_club
May 19, 2017, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,184
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Older ones amongst us will remember Venables selling Maradonna from Barcelona as ultimately it would make the team stronger. .

Fluff me...Pearson sells one step over in over 200 appearances and he is compared to Maradonna !!!    

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FTAO GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.