9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
May 18, 2017, 10:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Sounds like a case of less than ideal wording on PRs and Shaun's Tweet. No more than that. Nothing sinister.

Negotiations took place. Because they didn't get to a point when they were very close together, Shaun can say a contract wasn't offered. That reads like the club never offered him renewed terms, though the club probably did.

It's a shame he's not staying. A real shame. But I don't see it as any big conspiracy or lying game.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 82
chaos33
May 18, 2017, 10:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from TAGG

As far as I'm concerned its a fact he's never been promoted so has never built a team good enough at any of the many c!ubs he's been at.

He has, however, gained 800 league games worth of experience, the vast majority of which is above this level. Sure, he could have hung around in L2 chasing a promotion to make you happy TAGG, but he seemed to prefer to build teams to compete in the championship.

This thread is 90% cobblers - slagging off Fenty and slagging off Slade.

What the f***  do people actually want?! It was going so well with Bignot wasn't it. Jeez
Get a grip and think on.....

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 82
Bigdog
May 18, 2017, 10:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Sounds like a case of less than ideal wording on PRs and Shaun's Tweet. No more than that. Nothing sinister.

Negotiations took place. Because they didn't get to a point when they were very close together, Shaun can say a contract wasn't offered. That reads like the club never offered him renewed terms, though the club probably did.

It's a shame he's not staying. A real shame. But I don't see it as any big conspiracy or lying game.

You're probably right, but where's the fun in coming to that conclusion on this forum..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 82
promotion plaice
May 18, 2017, 10:40pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189

Under Bignot we could easily have got relegated next season, in fact I think we would've.

Russel Slade offers us far more Football League security with the possibility of more, I'll take that at the moment.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 82
headingly_mariner
May 18, 2017, 10:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from KingstonMariner

If he's saying he's not been offered a contract, I think we can be pretty clear on that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 82
golfer
May 18, 2017, 10:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from ginnywings
There has clearly been a mix up somewhere. The MP statement said Andrew had been offered a contract but that Davies and Pearson were "in negotiations". I suppose it comes down to the interpretation of what "in negotiations" actually meant. I have no idea and it is misleading, so you have to say it is poor from the club to have muddied the waters in this way. Shaun is a much loved figure at Town, so he deserved better. If he was always being released, then they should have said that.

In football contracts are normally talked about between management and the player before a contract is offered. I would say the conversation went something like this " We want you but we can't really afford to pay you what we would like to,so we are thinking about as a thank you ,offering you another 1 year deal and I have managed after long pleas with the boss to be able to keep you on the same wages"     " On the same wages-they were set 2 years ago when we were non-league-surely I deserve a rise seeing we are now in the league"      I can see from your attitude there is no point in going any further so we wont be offering you a new contract-best of luck and close the door on your way out"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 82
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 18, 2017, 10:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Bloody hell I have been reading these comments since the story broke mid afternoon and now returning from the pub its still ongoing with many Fishy contributors commenting as if a board meeting was held without them being invited and decisions made without their ability to tell JF who he must tell RS to retain.

Like the majority I do not want Shaun to go and agree wholeheartedly that at worst he would be an excellent squad member and more valuable in that respect then Boyce. However, a manager must make whatever decisions he feels are the correct one not only to bring the club success but also to maintain his own standing & reputation in the game.

Older ones amongst us will remember Venables selling Maradonna from Barcelona as ultimately it would make the team stronger. We clearly have players RS does not want and that will be very frustrating for him in building a new squad. On paper you need 4 centre backs so keeping Shaun plus Boyce and signing two new guys or 1 plus Collins would appear to most of us sensible. We will not know until we see the replacements perform if we have this right but the level of meltdown is IMO over the top but mine is just one more opinion amongst many.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 82
KingstonMariner
May 18, 2017, 11:00pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Bloody hell I have been reading these comments since the story broke mid afternoon and now returning from the pub its still ongoing with many Fishy contributors commenting as if a board meeting was held without them being invited and decisions made without their ability to tell JF who he must tell RS to retain.

Like the majority I do not want Shaun to go and agree wholeheartedly that at worst he would be an excellent squad member and more valuable in that respect then Boyce. However, a manager must make whatever decisions he feels are the correct one not only to bring the club success but also to maintain his own standing & reputation in the game.

Older ones amongst us will remember Venables selling Maradonna from Barcelona as ultimately it would make the team stronger. We clearly have players RS does not want and that will be very frustrating for him in building a new squad. On paper you need 4 centre backs so keeping Shaun plus Boyce and signing two new guys or 1 plus Collins would appear to most of us sensible. We will not know until we see the replacements perform if we have this right but the level of meltdown is IMO over the top but mine is just one more opinion amongst many.

Indeed. Didn't he deliver their first title in donkeys years?

Actually on second thoughts 'donkeys' years' may not be very long in Spain

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 82
TAGG
May 18, 2017, 11:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from chaos33

He has, however, gained 800 league games worth of experience, the vast majority of which is above this level. Sure, he could have hung around in L2 chasing a promotion to make you happy TAGG, but he seemed to prefer to build teams to compete in the championship.

This thread is 90% cobblers - slagging off Fenty and slagging off Slade.

What the f***  do people actually want?! It was going so well with Bignot wasn't it. Jeez
Get a grip and think on.....

I want a side to get us promoted.
You may think having 800 games experience and winning nothing  is great then good for you its just that I don't.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 82
HotToddy
May 19, 2017, 12:26am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Approval: -444
In reality, Slade has at best inherited an average League 2 side. He's not going to settle for that and is going to bring in the quality to fight at the top end of the table.

James McKeown - average keeper
Ben Davies - im sorry to say he's past it
Shaun Pearson - would never be a regular in Slades side
Sean McAllister - too small imo
. .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FTAO GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.