Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › ideal, realistic signing over summer
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

ideal, realistic signing over summer

This thread currently has 40,077 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
May 3, 2017, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Northampton have released their keeper (Adam Smith) who has played 94 games in 2 seasons.

Zander Diamond wouldn't be a bad signing either although probably not the most mobile centre back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 183
Mariners_15
May 3, 2017, 4:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Some of the names being touted on here are pie in the sky stuff sorry to break it to you... Jay O'shea has spent the second half of the season on loan at Sheff U and only been released by Chesterfield because they're in the shite financially and Bostwick has interest from the Championship according to a posh mate of mine, they tend to transfer list players in the final year of their deals to make a bob or two from them.

Lee Angol from posh wouldn't be a bad shout though although I suspect we'd be competing with the Gimps for his signature.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 183
mariner91
May 3, 2017, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariners_15
Some of the names being touted on here are pie in the sky stuff sorry to break it to you... Jay O'shea has spent the second half of the season on loan at Sheff U and only been released by Chesterfield because they're in the shite financially and Bostwick has interest from the Championship according to a posh mate of mine, they tend to transfer list players in the final year of their deals to make a bob or two from them.

Lee Angol from posh wouldn't be a bad shout though although I suspect we'd be competing with the Gimps for his signature.

That makes more sense, did wonder why he was transfer listed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 183
Grantley
May 3, 2017, 5:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from chaos33
Grantley, I can't see the problem in recruiting good players from L2. Makes sense doesn't it, and shows ambition coupled with pragmatism, and poses a lower risk - Collins and McCartan are proven at L2 level and provide qualities we don't currently posess. Plus, plus neither are playing for big or rich clubs at this level in Crawley and Accrington. We are a big hitter in L2 in terms of our size, support and history and ought to have a good chance of promotion next season if we project enough actual ambition to back that. Maybe said players would consider it a step up to sign for Grimsby from their current clubs. I can't see why we should confine our signings strategy to promising conference players or youngsters/released players from higher levels. Mix it up a bit. They are both great ages for their respective roles.

Actually, both are still under contract and likely to attract a fair bit of attention I reckon.

You misunderstand me. I'd love to sign the best players from League 2, my argument was that it's highly unlikely we'll get them due to contract length/wages/interest from higher clubs. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and sign them. I just don't want us going over the odds for them.  

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 183
HertsGTFC
May 3, 2017, 5:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Mariner91 mentioned Michael Bostwick, saw him in a few games when he was at Stevenage decent player then as long as his legs have not gone he would be a decent addition

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 183
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 3, 2017, 7:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,643
Gold Stars: 70
Played golf in Nottingham today and the Bar Steward (no pun) is a former footballer, Mike Galloway, who played for RS as a junior at Notts County & has been employed by RS in the past to do Pro-zone reports on opposition and he told me he will be doing this for GTFC next year.

Interesting to hear him talk about RS, especially his time at Orient, & he explained what a great motivator & man manager he is & how players loved playing for him, stating Kevin Lisbie refused moves to higher placed clubs as he enjoyed his time with RS. Also re his time at Cardiff ho the reduced playing budget by £2M per annum whilst achieving 8th place & how there were 50+ back room staff including 3 goalkeeping coaches when RS arrived.

Made me feel a little more confident re the future & also suggests that RS is likely to go back for players he knows & they are likely to want to play for him again. I await announcements on player front with interest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 183
ginnywings
May 3, 2017, 7:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Good insight LM. Let's hope we get a few gems signed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 183
mariner91
May 4, 2017, 12:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Just doing some research in to players that RS has worked with before and a possible would be Jamie Ness? Had him on loan whilst at Leyton Orient and Ness has spent the last two seasons at Scunny so is local to the area. Unlikely to be offered a new contract as he's only played 15 times this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 183
ginnywings
May 4, 2017, 1:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Untouchable?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 183
Garth
May 4, 2017, 8:49am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from mariner91
Just doing some research in to players that RS has worked with before and a possible would be Jamie Ness? Had him on loan whilst at Leyton Orient and Ness has spent the last two seasons at Scunny so is local to the area. Unlikely to be offered a new contract as he's only played 15 times this season.

Not good enough for Crew, Orient or Scunthorpe, doubt he would be on Slade`s shopping list IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 183
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › ideal, realistic signing over summer

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.