3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Perkins
April 12, 2017, 4:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Where does Slade start? five games and just under a month to assess the players. As Fenty said in his RH interview we are overloaded. we have 30 odd players and ideally we need to cut it down to 22. Now most of us could explain to Slade in about five minutes who are good players and who are crap, who should go and who should stay, although most of us will have differing views about that. Does he not renew contracts and allow those players to move on to save money, or does he resign those that want to stay and pay up players contracts of the ones that both Hurst and Bignot signed that we know we are stuck with for another year or two? We may have some cash left from the Omar money to do that. Will he want to recall the loan players (if he can) to have a look at them, i would presume he will. Will he send back loanees however much he would like to keep them?
Difficult decisions, but whatever he does, he is sure to incur the wrath of a percentage of fans.  

Logged Online
Private Message
bluebottle
April 12, 2017, 5:01pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +459
I dare say he will sit down and watch a few full game videos of recent games, it should give him a bit of an idea. As you say have a look at training and have words with the backroom staff such as Dave Moore to get an idea from him. We may have to put up with a few games of player rotation so that he can see them in action. You would imagine the loan players may not get a look in. But on the other hand I could be spouting b0ll0cks.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 12, 2017, 7:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Assume he will read the Fishy, make Gunning skipper on the basis of appeasing the fans and build our team around Berrett's attacking flair and never say die spirit!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
forza ivano
April 12, 2017, 7:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from bluebottle
I dare say he will sit down and watch a few full game videos of recent games, it should give him a bit of an idea. As you say have a look at training and have words with the backroom staff such as Dave Moore to get an idea from him. We may have to put up with a few games of player rotation so that he can see them in action. You would imagine the loan players may not get a look in. But on the other hand I could be spouting b0ll0cks.

Id bet you a pound to a penny that him and or pw have watched some or most of our games since January
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
rancido
April 12, 2017, 7:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
RS has been in the game long enough to know of and the abilities of a fair percentage of our squad, especially the ones with league pedigrees. It's not as if club managers live in a "bubble" and are totally oblivious of players from other clubs or leagues.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
chaos33
April 12, 2017, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quick and clinical. He knows what's up to standard and what isn't. I'd say there about a dozen current players we should look to keep. The rest can go for me.

Trickier will be assessing those out on loan.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
HertsGTFC
April 12, 2017, 8:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from chaos33
Quick and clinical. He knows what's up to standard and what isn't. I'd say there about a dozen current players we should look to keep. The rest can go for me.

Trickier will be assessing those out on loan.

I don't think it will look good for the 3 young lads to be honest if we want to get down to 22 even though they would only be on minimum/living wage next year, I guess there would be footage that you could ask Macc for if you want to look at Browne and Summerfield, The level Chambo dropped to you probably need You Tube but I think he was only signed for a year anyway.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
chaos33
April 12, 2017, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I read today that Chambers has scored something like 5 goals in 7 games.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
HertsGTFC
April 12, 2017, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
I'd be happy to see him back, think he was on a year though but could be wrong!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
RichMariner
April 12, 2017, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Players who are under contract for next season:

McKeown

Boyce
Mills

Berrett
Clements
S Jones
McAllister
Osborne
Summerfield
Bolarinwa
Browne

Asante
Vernon
Yussuf

The likes of McAllister and Browne are almost impossible for us to assess because we've barely seen them turn out in a black and white shirt. You could also say the same about Asante and Yussuf.

When Slade first arrived in 2004 he had just four pros on our books. This time he'll have 14, with another 16 to make decisions on whether they deserve a renewed contract.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
HackneyHaddock
April 12, 2017, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Like Forza says, he's been lined up for a while so I think will probably have a good idea already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
Tommy
April 12, 2017, 10:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I reckon Slade watched DVD's of our last 10 games on Tuesday after Fenty called him in the morning and he'd climbed down from the mountain.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
KingstonMariner
April 12, 2017, 10:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Tommy
I reckon Slade watched DVD's of our last 10 games on Tuesday after Fenty called him in the morning and he'd climbed down from the mountain.

Are you saying this is the new Sniffgate?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
LongEatonMariner
April 12, 2017, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from RichMariner

McKeown

Boyce
Mills

Berrett
Clements
S Jones
McAllister
Osborne
Summerfield
Bolarinwa
Browne

Asante
Vernon
Yussuf

The likes of McAllister and Browne are almost impossible for us to assess because we've barely seen them turn out in a black and white shirt. You could also say the same about Asante and Yussuf.

When Slade first arrived in 2004 he had just four pros on our books. This time he'll have 14, with another 16 to make decisions on whether they deserve a renewed contract.

Six centre mids is why Bignot said he was unsure about offers by Dis a contract. If Slade wants him I'd imagine a couple will need paying off first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
forza ivano
April 12, 2017, 11:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from RichMariner

McKeown

Boyce
Mills

Berrett
Clements
S Jones
McAllister
Osborne
Summerfield
Bolarinwa
Browne

Asante
Vernon
Yussuf

If I'm being honest that's not a very inspiring list.i think Russ has got quite a task on his hands. Presumably the best ones Asante, mills, Jones and Osborne aren't on that much money which is good, but what the hell do you do about Boyce, berrett, summer field etc.? Grasping at straws but maybe Mcallister can be turned into the new Holland, Vernon into a latter day Gary tones and tombola and Browne into passable Gary Cohens
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
topuphere666
April 13, 2017, 6:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
A manager worth his salt will be able to work out who is good enough by setting up a few intense training sessions. Keeping Andrews and Collins are a must for next season! We need to offload 75% of the midfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
mariner91
April 13, 2017, 7:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from forza ivano

If I'm being honest that's not a very inspiring list.i think Russ has got quite a task on his hands. Presumably the best ones Asante, mills, Jones and Osborne aren't on that much money which is good, but what the hell do you do about Boyce, berrett, summer field etc.? Grasping at straws but maybe Mcallister can be turned into the new Holland, Vernon into a latter day Gary tones and tombola and Browne into passable Gary Cohens

I think if we get Andrew, Collins and Pearson signed up it starts to look a little better but there's definitely still work to be done. I think you could get Yussuf playing as a wide forward or winger with a bit of coaching and motivation, he has the physical attributes. Same with Tombola, he's definitely got the physical attributes and with a bit of coaching to improve his decision making could become a great impact sub. Browne will be interesting to see if he can make the step up because by all accounts he's done well at Macc on loan. The good news is that I doubt any of them are on big wages. I think Asante will do well if we get him fully fit and he has a bit of coaching. It's interesting to note that many of the Solihull fans rated Asante as highly as Bogle they just questioned if he'd ever be fit for long periods.

In midfield I think Berrett and Summerfield will be offloaded. Summerfield could potentially do a job but Berrett definitely needs to go. Mcallister is an interesting one because he's won promotion from this league before so obviously can do it but we've barely seen him this year. Jury out on him. Osborne will come good when fit I think and you could never accuse RS's previous teams here of lacking fitness. Sam Jones is obviously going to be a big player for us. Then that leaves Clements who hasn't pulled up any trees but then equally hasn't been terrible either so could well stay here. In a team with some structure and game plan he might perform to a higher standard.

In defence I think Mills will benefit from coaching and he's had a fairly good first season in professional football. I don't rate Boyce and if we could offload him that would be ideal. If we can re-sign our three best defenders then we're in an okay position but I'd like to see at least a couple of good, pacy wide men, possibly a mobile aggressive centre mid to break up play, a first choice striker because I'm not sure we can rely on Asante being fit all season and maybe another first choice centre back with pace in case Collins' legs go midway through the season like Monkhouse's did last year. Then a few squad players as well. Big job.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Garth
April 13, 2017, 8:48am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Unless there is a chance that they will be here next season I would not play any loan player anymore this season.

I would keep Dis on a one year contract because he still has the necessary energy to compete for ninety minutes.

The back four of Collins Andrew Pearson and Mills with A another Boyce or Gowling would be my choice to stay with Brown, Clifton,Venny, Tombola,Rose and Chambers, Vose if possible

I start Friday with Vernon and Asante up front Yussuf wide left ( because we have no other alternative) with instructions to help Andrews when required, S Jones alongside Dis and Osborne.

Ones to go for me are Gunning,Berret,Clements,Maxwell,Comley and Dyson. undecided are McAllister an Summerfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
Meza
April 13, 2017, 8:48am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50
Or with having 31 players RS might think those due out of contract are the easier ones to release i certainly hope not.

He's got a job on his hands no doubt about that but lets look at the players contacted next season excluding the loanees.

* = who i think should be released

McKeown
----------------
Mills
Davies*
Andrews
Jones
Collins
Pearson
Gunning*
Boyce
-----------------
Mcallister*
Berrett*
Summerfield
Disley
Osbourne
Jones
Bolawinra
Browne
Clements
Chambers
------------------
Asante
Vernon
Yussuf

If there is any i have missed please fill them in.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
lee65
April 13, 2017, 8:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
I think Boyce is a decent enough back up CB, so why pay him off?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
Maringer
April 13, 2017, 9:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Clements and Boyce will stay. I think Clements has been perfectly capable and Boyce hasn't been too bad in recent months after a dodgy start to the season. I don't think he'll be a first choice, but he's reasonable back up with plenty of time for improvement and not having to waste money paying him off would be useful.

Davies to go for me and I wouldn't keep Berrett under any circumstances - just lacking in too much.

I don't think Disley will stay, great servant though he has been and wouldn't want to see Comley here next season. Are the two young midfielders going to be good enough? Make or break time, I'd have thought, and they certainly need to be playing somewhere. I can't imagine we'll keep them on for another year, even if they were to be loaned out?

Yussuf has looked OK to me when he's played so surprised he's not had more game time. I think Slade will play him a good bit.

Vernon is under contract, I believe? A pity as I don't think he's what we need, but you never know. Might play a bit part role here and there.

I just hope that Slade realises we need some pace and width and has an idea of a few attackers who we might be able to sign.

Interesting times ahead with the third rebuild in 12 months likely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Jarmo.Is.God
April 13, 2017, 9:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Give Collins, Andrew & Pearson a new contract right now!

Clements is actually a very clever and intelligent player, just some times does stuff in the wrong place.

If Boyce is Contracted, then hes a decent enough back up

Delighted that Mills is contracted, as he has been one hell of a signing! and kept out the 'signing of the summer' in Ben Davies out the team!

Also don't think Vernon is as bad as people make out. Could easily play his part next season from the bench
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Mendonca1995
April 13, 2017, 9:27am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
How on earth do people keep saying they would keep chambers what did he actually do while he was here ??? I watched him the games he played and never see him take one player on and put a decent cross in for a winger he had no pace at all the only thing he did have was Decent defending duties which at the time hurst loved we need to move forward with some quality wingers

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
mariner91
April 13, 2017, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
I'd have kept Chambers here in January purely because we had no other wide players which pretty much stopped us making any tactical changes during games and limited what we could play without putting players out of position. He works hard and is committed but if we want to be challenging then I'd not keep him on, we need better. A good solid player for a team who's priority is to stay up that year but doesn't do enough going forward to justify being in a team that's aiming for the play offs or better.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
sam gy
April 13, 2017, 10:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Interestingly, i believe Chambers has been playing as a central forward/striker for Nuneaton and banging them in for fun. His natural position, but i guess he was shifted out wide in his league career because he's neither ever been a prolific goalscorer, nor a target man. Either way, he's solid enoughy but with him out of contract, i don't think we'll be seeing him here next season.

Vernon, i don't exactly rate highly and wouldn't be a starter for me, but he's a good asset to have on the bench, to bring on and calm things down. He has that intelligence and comfort on the ball -  this shone for me in particular when he was brought on at Leyton.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
SteveL
April 13, 2017, 11:21am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +30
It's clearly not just as simple as us deciding who we think is any good and who isn't. It's about players being motivated, fitting the manager's style of play and understanding their role in it.
Looking at the player stats under both managers so far this season there are some stark differences - for instance Vose started 10 times for Hurst and had a 50% win ratio. For Bignot he started 5 times with a 20% win ratio. Jackson had a 55.5% win ratio with Hurst but only 16.6% under Bignot. On the other hand players like Vernon & Boyce had much higher win percentages under Bignot.

Other stats of note are:

Chambers is the only player who's win ratio was above 40% when starting for either manager.

Town's win ratio with Henderson in goal was 57% whilst so far it is 32% with Macca.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
RichMariner
April 13, 2017, 11:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I think there's still a place for Vernon at GTFC under Slade.

I'm by no means comparing him to Gary Jones, but if Slade still prefers to set up his teams like he did when he was last with us then he needs an experienced forward player who has the intelligence to complement their striking partner.

Vernon doesn't look like he'll ever bang in the goals like Jones, but I think he's a decent back-to-goal type striker, if we can get the ball more to his feet than his head.

Lots to consider though.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
grimsby pete
April 13, 2017, 11:37am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
We now have 2 very knowledgeable men who know a lot of league players that are good enough for us,

If we lose 1 or 2 that we would like to keep they will be replaced by someone as good if not better.

I did  like Marcus but he did not have the knowledge of Slade and Wilkinson.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.