3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
April 13, 2017, 9:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,382
Gold Stars: 184
Clements and Boyce will stay. I think Clements has been perfectly capable and Boyce hasn't been too bad in recent months after a dodgy start to the season. I don't think he'll be a first choice, but he's reasonable back up with plenty of time for improvement and not having to waste money paying him off would be useful.

Davies to go for me and I wouldn't keep Berrett under any circumstances - just lacking in too much.

I don't think Disley will stay, great servant though he has been and wouldn't want to see Comley here next season. Are the two young midfielders going to be good enough? Make or break time, I'd have thought, and they certainly need to be playing somewhere. I can't imagine we'll keep them on for another year, even if they were to be loaned out?

Yussuf has looked OK to me when he's played so surprised he's not had more game time. I think Slade will play him a good bit.

Vernon is under contract, I believe? A pity as I don't think he's what we need, but you never know. Might play a bit part role here and there.

I just hope that Slade realises we need some pace and width and has an idea of a few attackers who we might be able to sign.

Interesting times ahead with the third rebuild in 12 months likely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Jarmo.Is.God
April 13, 2017, 9:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Give Collins, Andrew & Pearson a new contract right now!

Clements is actually a very clever and intelligent player, just some times does stuff in the wrong place.

If Boyce is Contracted, then hes a decent enough back up

Delighted that Mills is contracted, as he has been one hell of a signing! and kept out the 'signing of the summer' in Ben Davies out the team!

Also don't think Vernon is as bad as people make out. Could easily play his part next season from the bench
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Mendonca1995
April 13, 2017, 9:27am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
How on earth do people keep saying they would keep chambers what did he actually do while he was here ??? I watched him the games he played and never see him take one player on and put a decent cross in for a winger he had no pace at all the only thing he did have was Decent defending duties which at the time hurst loved we need to move forward with some quality wingers

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
mariner91
April 13, 2017, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,563
Gold Stars: 259
I'd have kept Chambers here in January purely because we had no other wide players which pretty much stopped us making any tactical changes during games and limited what we could play without putting players out of position. He works hard and is committed but if we want to be challenging then I'd not keep him on, we need better. A good solid player for a team who's priority is to stay up that year but doesn't do enough going forward to justify being in a team that's aiming for the play offs or better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
sam gy
April 13, 2017, 10:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Interestingly, i believe Chambers has been playing as a central forward/striker for Nuneaton and banging them in for fun. His natural position, but i guess he was shifted out wide in his league career because he's neither ever been a prolific goalscorer, nor a target man. Either way, he's solid enoughy but with him out of contract, i don't think we'll be seeing him here next season.

Vernon, i don't exactly rate highly and wouldn't be a starter for me, but he's a good asset to have on the bench, to bring on and calm things down. He has that intelligence and comfort on the ball -  this shone for me in particular when he was brought on at Leyton.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
SteveL
April 13, 2017, 11:21am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +30
It's clearly not just as simple as us deciding who we think is any good and who isn't. It's about players being motivated, fitting the manager's style of play and understanding their role in it.
Looking at the player stats under both managers so far this season there are some stark differences - for instance Vose started 10 times for Hurst and had a 50% win ratio. For Bignot he started 5 times with a 20% win ratio. Jackson had a 55.5% win ratio with Hurst but only 16.6% under Bignot. On the other hand players like Vernon & Boyce had much higher win percentages under Bignot.

Other stats of note are:

Chambers is the only player who's win ratio was above 40% when starting for either manager.

Town's win ratio with Henderson in goal was 57% whilst so far it is 32% with Macca.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
RichMariner
April 13, 2017, 11:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I think there's still a place for Vernon at GTFC under Slade.

I'm by no means comparing him to Gary Jones, but if Slade still prefers to set up his teams like he did when he was last with us then he needs an experienced forward player who has the intelligence to complement their striking partner.

Vernon doesn't look like he'll ever bang in the goals like Jones, but I think he's a decent back-to-goal type striker, if we can get the ball more to his feet than his head.

Lots to consider though.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
grimsby pete
April 13, 2017, 11:37am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
We now have 2 very knowledgeable men who know a lot of league players that are good enough for us,

If we lose 1 or 2 that we would like to keep they will be replaced by someone as good if not better.

I did  like Marcus but he did not have the knowledge of Slade and Wilkinson.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Assessing Players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.