3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
HackneyHaddock
April 12, 2017, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Like Forza says, he's been lined up for a while so I think will probably have a good idea already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
Tommy
April 12, 2017, 10:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I reckon Slade watched DVD's of our last 10 games on Tuesday after Fenty called him in the morning and he'd climbed down from the mountain.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
KingstonMariner
April 12, 2017, 10:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Tommy
I reckon Slade watched DVD's of our last 10 games on Tuesday after Fenty called him in the morning and he'd climbed down from the mountain.

Are you saying this is the new Sniffgate?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
LongEatonMariner
April 12, 2017, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from RichMariner
Players who are under contract for next season:

McKeown

Boyce
Mills

Berrett
Clements
S Jones
McAllister
Osborne
Summerfield
Bolarinwa
Browne

Asante
Vernon
Yussuf

The likes of McAllister and Browne are almost impossible for us to assess because we've barely seen them turn out in a black and white shirt. You could also say the same about Asante and Yussuf.

When Slade first arrived in 2004 he had just four pros on our books. This time he'll have 14, with another 16 to make decisions on whether they deserve a renewed contract.

Six centre mids is why Bignot said he was unsure about offers by Dis a contract. If Slade wants him I'd imagine a couple will need paying off first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
forza ivano
April 12, 2017, 11:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from RichMariner
Players who are under contract for next season:

McKeown

Boyce
Mills

Berrett
Clements
S Jones
McAllister
Osborne
Summerfield
Bolarinwa
Browne

Asante
Vernon
Yussuf

The likes of McAllister and Browne are almost impossible for us to assess because we've barely seen them turn out in a black and white shirt. You could also say the same about Asante and Yussuf.

When Slade first arrived in 2004 he had just four pros on our books. This time he'll have 14, with another 16 to make decisions on whether they deserve a renewed contract.

If I'm being honest that's not a very inspiring list.i think Russ has got quite a task on his hands. Presumably the best ones Asante, mills, Jones and Osborne aren't on that much money which is good, but what the hell do you do about Boyce, berrett, summer field etc.? Grasping at straws but maybe Mcallister can be turned into the new Holland, Vernon into a latter day Gary tones and tombola and Browne into passable Gary Cohens
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
topuphere666
April 13, 2017, 6:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
A manager worth his salt will be able to work out who is good enough by setting up a few intense training sessions. Keeping Andrews and Collins are a must for next season! We need to offload 75% of the midfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
mariner91
April 13, 2017, 7:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from forza ivano

If I'm being honest that's not a very inspiring list.i think Russ has got quite a task on his hands. Presumably the best ones Asante, mills, Jones and Osborne aren't on that much money which is good, but what the hell do you do about Boyce, berrett, summer field etc.? Grasping at straws but maybe Mcallister can be turned into the new Holland, Vernon into a latter day Gary tones and tombola and Browne into passable Gary Cohens

I think if we get Andrew, Collins and Pearson signed up it starts to look a little better but there's definitely still work to be done. I think you could get Yussuf playing as a wide forward or winger with a bit of coaching and motivation, he has the physical attributes. Same with Tombola, he's definitely got the physical attributes and with a bit of coaching to improve his decision making could become a great impact sub. Browne will be interesting to see if he can make the step up because by all accounts he's done well at Macc on loan. The good news is that I doubt any of them are on big wages. I think Asante will do well if we get him fully fit and he has a bit of coaching. It's interesting to note that many of the Solihull fans rated Asante as highly as Bogle they just questioned if he'd ever be fit for long periods.

In midfield I think Berrett and Summerfield will be offloaded. Summerfield could potentially do a job but Berrett definitely needs to go. Mcallister is an interesting one because he's won promotion from this league before so obviously can do it but we've barely seen him this year. Jury out on him. Osborne will come good when fit I think and you could never accuse RS's previous teams here of lacking fitness. Sam Jones is obviously going to be a big player for us. Then that leaves Clements who hasn't pulled up any trees but then equally hasn't been terrible either so could well stay here. In a team with some structure and game plan he might perform to a higher standard.

In defence I think Mills will benefit from coaching and he's had a fairly good first season in professional football. I don't rate Boyce and if we could offload him that would be ideal. If we can re-sign our three best defenders then we're in an okay position but I'd like to see at least a couple of good, pacy wide men, possibly a mobile aggressive centre mid to break up play, a first choice striker because I'm not sure we can rely on Asante being fit all season and maybe another first choice centre back with pace in case Collins' legs go midway through the season like Monkhouse's did last year. Then a few squad players as well. Big job.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Garth
April 13, 2017, 8:48am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Unless there is a chance that they will be here next season I would not play any loan player anymore this season.

I would keep Dis on a one year contract because he still has the necessary energy to compete for ninety minutes.

The back four of Collins Andrew Pearson and Mills with A another Boyce or Gowling would be my choice to stay with Brown, Clifton,Venny, Tombola,Rose and Chambers, Vose if possible

I start Friday with Vernon and Asante up front Yussuf wide left ( because we have no other alternative) with instructions to help Andrews when required, S Jones alongside Dis and Osborne.

Ones to go for me are Gunning,Berret,Clements,Maxwell,Comley and Dyson. undecided are McAllister an Summerfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
Meza
April 13, 2017, 8:48am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Or with having 31 players RS might think those due out of contract are the easier ones to release i certainly hope not.

He's got a job on his hands no doubt about that but lets look at the players contacted next season excluding the loanees.

* = who i think should be released

McKeown
----------------
Mills
Davies*
Andrews
Jones
Collins
Pearson
Gunning*
Boyce
-----------------
Mcallister*
Berrett*
Summerfield
Disley
Osbourne
Jones
Bolawinra
Browne
Clements
Chambers
------------------
Asante
Vernon
Yussuf

If there is any i have missed please fill them in.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
lee65
April 13, 2017, 8:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
I think Boyce is a decent enough back up CB, so why pay him off?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Assessing Players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.