Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Data backup and the cloud
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 214 Guests

Data backup and the cloud

This thread currently has 979 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
RichMariner
February 25, 2017, 3:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
After nearly losing all my photos, videos and documents when my hard drive failed, I need to back them up to the cloud.

Dropbox seems to be the most popular place to do this, but I was wondering if there's anywhere (or anything) else you'd recommend?

Ideally I'm looking for something where the photos, videos and docs are synced, so when I edit docs, or update folders with new pics etc, I don't have to do it twice.

Any thoughts, ideas and recommendations would be very helpful!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Maringer
February 25, 2017, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
If you have an android phone, easy to go with Google Drive which costs about the same as paid Dropbox. Obviously, you'll be paying out each month, however.

The alternative is to buy a cheap NAS device (Network Area Storage) to keep at home and sync your PC and phone with that automatically. Synology and Qnap are the two biggest firms and Western Digital also do consumer oriented devices which come complete with disc(s).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
Maringer
February 25, 2017, 7:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Should also note that you can set up NAS to be accessed via the net so you can theoretically stream music/videos over the net from home if your Internet connection is up to the job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
GrimRob
February 25, 2017, 9:26pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
If you use Office then you might as well use One Drive as it integrates with the rest of Office very well and you change your Pictures and Videos folders to point to the OneDrive folder by default. I think you get 10GB free with OneDrive, a lot more than you do with DropBox. You also can get a lot more if you have an Office 365 subscription. I'm sure there are some other ways of getting more free space as well.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 5
Southwark Mariner
February 27, 2017, 11:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 81
I've used both Google Drive and One Drive and I much prefer One Drive (with Office365).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
RichMariner
March 1, 2017, 10:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Cheers for all the advice. Looking into a NAS drive at the moment (as with many things, it'll come down to budget!).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Data backup and the cloud

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.