Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Advice.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 137 Guests

Advice.

This thread currently has 3,149 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
zorro_is_a_Mariner
October 11, 2016, 9:20am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
So my employer at work are giving us new contracts, the thing is we get 28 days paid holiday. What they want to do is take 8 days of them holidays and  make us use them for the 8 bank holidays so 20 days left is 4 weeks. But what they said is if we have the bank hol of we dont get paid for it even though were using one of our 8 days up from our holiday. Is this right and can they do this ?
Thanks

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
cmackenzie4
October 11, 2016, 9:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
So my employer at work are giving us new contracts, the thing is we get 28 days paid holiday. What they want to do is take 8 days of them holidays and  make us use them for the 8 bank holidays so 20 days left is 4 weeks. But what they said is if we have the bank hol of we dont get paid for it even though were using one of our 8 days up from our holiday. Is this right and can they do this ?
Thanks

Are you in the union mate? It maybe worth seeing what their take on this is.

To me that doesn't seem fair because before you had 28 days A/L with pay now your employer are saying it's now 20 days with pay and the other 8 days you have to work them to get paid.

I work for Network rail and if you work a bank holiday you get paid time and half and a day in lieu or you can take double time and half with no day in lieu.

If I'm rest day on a bank holiday I still get paid an extra 4hrs pay on top of my normal earnings.

I would definitely question your predicament Zorro because it doesn't sound fair in the way they are going about this.

Chris

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
horsforthmariner
October 11, 2016, 11:36am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
Ask for a pay rise
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
zorro_is_a_Mariner
October 11, 2016, 1:01pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Are you in the union mate? It maybe worth seeing what their take on this is.

To me that doesn't seem fair because before you had 28 days A/L with pay now your employer are saying it's now 20 days with pay and the other 8 days you have to work them to get paid.

I work for Network rail and if you work a bank holiday you get paid time and half and a day in lieu or you can take double time and half with no day in lieu.

If I'm rest day on a bank holiday I still get paid an extra 4hrs pay on top of my normal earnings.

I would definitely question your predicament Zorro because it doesn't sound fair in the way they are going about this.

Chris

I rang acas up and they agreed with you, they told me to get a print of my contract read it properly if it that then give them another ring because its against the law.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
cmackenzie4
October 11, 2016, 1:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

I rang acas up and they agreed with you, they told me to get a print of my contract read it properly if it that then give them another ring because its against the law.

Hope you get it sorted, stand up for yourself & don't let them get away with it, how do your fellow colleagues feel about this Zorro?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Marinerz93
October 11, 2016, 10:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
If you are in a Union you pay fees for them to deal with employers like this. However, companies seem to be able to change contracts to suit what they want. I've gone through a flexible 1/2 hour added onto our day to suit the business needs. It's paid at time and half but the fact is it is flowered up forced overtime. You may have to take industrial action but that only works if the majority do it.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
scrumble
October 12, 2016, 8:12am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
Full time workers working a five day week are legally entitled to a minimum of 28 days paid leave. Those days  are used to cover bank holidays, but you do get paid for them. Anything else is breaking employment law

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
barralad
October 12, 2016, 12:27pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from scrumble
Full time workers working a five day week are legally entitled to a minimum of 28 days paid leave. Those days  are used to cover bank holidays, but you do get paid for them. Anything else is breaking employment law

Quite.....Until of course we "Get our country back" and the Government dispense with such inconveniences...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
Ipswin
October 12, 2016, 12:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Resign immediately, go on the dole (while you are waiting for a job with Network Rail) and get paid for having 365 days holiday a year

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
ginnywings
October 13, 2016, 10:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
excrement like this is the reason i have been self employed for 25 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
KingstonMariner
October 20, 2016, 10:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Here you go:

5.6 weeks paid leave (28 days). They can choose to make 8 of them on the Bank Holidays, but if they do this, they have to pay you and give you the day off. So it's either 28 days any time, or 20 days plus 8 days paid Bank Holidays off.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights

Join a union if you're not already a member. They can talk to the employer on your behalf without you individually sticking your head above the parapet, if you're worried about victimisation.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Advice.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.