Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rio 2016 - is anyone really bothered?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 130 Guests

Rio 2016 - is anyone really bothered?

This thread currently has 5,373 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 8, 2016, 3:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Grim74

Oh no let's ban cycling you sound like the BBC.
The danger of cycling like a lot of sports is what makes cycling great.

Of course, you are also an authority on cycling as well as politics and finance. You're wasted on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
GrimRob
August 11, 2016, 6:58pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Won't watch as bbc is excrement

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 38
codcheeky
August 11, 2016, 10:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from GrimRob
Won't watch as bbc is excrement

BBC is going downhill very fast, they sound more and more like state propaganda, the news has lot its way completely and some of the jingoistic sport coverage is nauseating
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
GrimRob
August 12, 2016, 10:26am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from codcheeky

BBC is going downhill very fast, they sound more and more like state propaganda, the news has lot its way completely and some of the jingoistic sport coverage is nauseating

They make the coverage very difficult to watch, switching between channels frequently to accommodate their existing schedule and having to use the red button to go to a non-HD channel is really annoying. Can't understand why Sky or BT Sport aren't allowed to show the same pictures. I can understand that not everyone can afford subscription TV but forcing everyone else to watch terrestrial channels is stupid. When events such as the FA Cup final or French Open are on terrestrial and subscription channels I'll aways choose the subscription channel because it's so much better.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 38
marinerjase
August 12, 2016, 10:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Some of the presenters/analysts are awful on the Beeb.

Why they take so many I dont know...we have Mark Foster sat with Adlington basically carrying out a love affair for the country to be put through. Only needs 1, Foster is ok but Adlington is annoying. Grrat swimmer but awful on the tv. People like Andy Jameson/Moorehouse as a combo..Moorehouse talks sense but Jameson is a poor mans Ray Wilkins...'goodness me..remarkable..good gracious ' etc etc, tries to crack gags that just arent working.

Judo we have an Australian commentating??? Athletics will have about 10 hangers on...Cram/Foster great commentary and insight, but why we need Jackson/Campbell/Lewis et al on yet another freebie I dont know. And Michael Johnson..great athlete but why are the Beeb giving him work? Like the cycling..not too many and all give a great insight, Boardman/Hoy etc..and Clare Balding is excellent.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
northbankmariner
August 13, 2016, 1:33pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Have lost count of how many different sports I have managed to cram in so far, yes there's a lack of public support and half empty stadia but I'm delighted with the efforts and performances that the competitors put in. It means so much to them and I was just as happy seeing the silver in the trampoline and the bronze in judo than I will be if mo or Ennis can medal. Jazz carlin brilliant, this is why the Olympics are special, I fully intend to watch as much as I possibly can. I now understand fencing, cannot understand why you don't get punished for trying to drown someone at water polo, think handball has been great, captivated by a Brit playing out of his skin playing table tennis, didn't realise we had medal prospects at wind surfing and canoeing, I could go on for hours. This sporting spectacle only happen every four years and many taking part are not multi millionaire footballers etc, they are just dedicated sportsmen and women that are the very best in the world at what they do.
Will need to start saving I think as next ones in Tokyo and it would be amazing to witness this first hand.
Oh and watching a badminton match between Indonesia and China as I write this, so it doesn't just have to have gb interest to be great.
Enjoy the rest and embrace it for what it is.
GO TEAM GB !!!!!!

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
Davec
August 13, 2016, 1:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Team GB are the best in the world when it comes to cycling, especially in the velodrome
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
Mariner Ronnie
August 19, 2016, 8:35am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
It's a few weeks of watching very passionate sportsmen and women show off their 4 years hard work and get a million times more emotional than them sharp objects playing against Iceland a month or two earlier!

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
LH
August 19, 2016, 10:44am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,390
Gold Stars: 169
You don't realise how lucky we are with sports coverage until you watch the same event elsewhere. I've watched the last week on Greek TV. A lot of their coverage was the live international Olympic stream which often was five minute wide shots of the entire gymnastics arena and helicopter views of the marathons with their pundits analysing what had happened without actually showing what had been going on. (I reckon this would be where normal advert breaks would be, BBC use these gaps for updates on other events or analysis).

Our football coverage in this country for example is often overly critical but it does make for better TV.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
KingstonMariner
August 19, 2016, 10:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Just watched GB beat the Dutch in the women's hockey. Great game. Couldn't follow what half the 'free kicks' were for but it moves on at a fast pace. Dutch unlucky given their domination but that Maddie Hinch played a blinder in goal.

Unlike women's football, the women's game in hockey doesn't feel like it's second best.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rio 2016 - is anyone really bothered?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.