Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rio 2016 - is anyone really bothered?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 180 Guests

Rio 2016 - is anyone really bothered?

This thread currently has 5,404 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Manchester Mariner
August 2, 2016, 12:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
I love the Olympics and will watch as much as possible. Who would have thought that weight lifting could be so tension packed?

No time for the stuff involving horses though, especially the one were they prance around to music.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
Maringer
August 2, 2016, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
The Olympics bores me to tears, always has done.

Funny, really, as I like most other sports but athletics/swimming/cycling etc just don't hold any interest for me whatsoever. I suppose it is really team sports I like and, by nature, the Olympics is mostly individual events.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
ginnywings
August 2, 2016, 4:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Like the cycling and the archery; some of the athletics is ok but other than that, i'm not fussed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 5, 2016, 10:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Since first posting this thread I've seen more dead fish being dragged out of the water where the sailing/rowing/openwater swimming is going to be. I've seen the photos of the unfinished stadium and heard the organisers talk about the cutback style of the ceremonies. And I've heard a bit more about the ziko virus. I've seen more about the protests of the poor in Rio over the costs of the games. I've heard how people were evicted to make way for an Olympic village none of them will be able to live in and to "clean up" the areas that will be seen by journalists and TV cameras.  Most of all I've heard about the drugs and the Russians and seen photos of impossibly fit torsos on Chinese swimmers.

More than ever I am convinced that this event is simply a money making parody of what it was meant to be. Nobody can convince me now that Rio 2016 would not have been cancelled were it not for purely commercial interests and the vested reputations of people like Coe.

This isn't the Olympics I signed up for as a kid when I was sitting cheering Anita Lonsborough or Derek Ibbotson. It's a huge con, a self-perpetuating deception that competition is fair and open, just like the Premier League tells us it's all about football.

So I will definitely be very picky about which bits I watch and to be honest I won't be too upset if I forget or miss it to watch some paint dry somewhere.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
barralad
August 7, 2016, 6:25pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Well I've just watched fencing. I have no idea what is going on other than the competitors periodically light up like a Christmas tree and punch the air. Apparently though we have someone who is quite good and might win a medal which means I'm in!!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
barralad
August 7, 2016, 6:40pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
UPDATE:- our sword chap has just beaten a yank and is now one fisticuff away from a medal....powerful stuff!!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
ginnywings
August 7, 2016, 8:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Well one of the few sports i like, namely the cycling, is an absolute joke. The course is seriously dangerous and badly prepared, leading to some horrendous crashes in both the mens and womens road race.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
KingstonMariner
August 8, 2016, 3:30am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I got drunk off with the constant sympathetic comments on the Beeb about that cycling lass who missed those drugs tests. FFS it's double standards after all the stuff about Russia. She missed 3 drugs tests - a member up that even Rio Ferdinand couldn't manage! She should have been banned to remove any suspicion if they're banning whole countries.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
Grim74
August 8, 2016, 8:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
Well one of the few sports i like, namely the cycling, is an absolute joke. The course is seriously dangerous and badly prepared, leading to some horrendous crashes in both the mens and womens road race.

Oh no let's ban cycling you sound like the BBC.
The danger of cycling like a lot of sports is what makes cycling great.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
Grim74
August 8, 2016, 8:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Will not be watching any tennis or football or golf absolute joke to be classed as an Olympic sport.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rio 2016 - is anyone really bothered?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.