Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rio 2016 - is anyone really bothered?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 420 Guests

Rio 2016 - is anyone really bothered?

This thread currently has 5,374 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 31, 2016, 4:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Every 4 years I've followed the Olympics quite closely, especially the Brits. The first I remember was Melbourne 1956 but the first proper TV one for me was Rome 1960 complete with Cassius Clay. Over the years there has been some cracking performances from Ovett, Coe, Cram, Mary Rand, back to Dorothy Hyman, Robbie Brightwell, Ann Packer, David Hermery ...

Then in 2012 with all that hype and razzamatazz and stupid talk about legacies and the appalling cost of the thing,  I kind of lost some enthusiasm. OK there was Farrah and her in Santander and the heptathlon and a few cyclists come to mind but the rest of the thing is just, I don't know, not very interesting . It seemed to get lost in a fog of showbiz, Coe, Bolt and self-congratulations.

2016 is even less interesting especially as we don't have a clue who is drug free and who isn't. At least in the good old days everyone knew Tamara Press was a bloke in drag, we had a good laugh and that was it. These days it could be anyone swapping their blood or taking some super training potion and they still look (relatively) normal. The best competition will be to see which competitor is the first to get dysentery from the plumbing in the Village or if the local gangs manage to kidnap someone important.

Maybe it's this "professional athlete" that puts me off. It's now the norm isn't it? The ones I remember all had nice mundane jobs and did their training in the dark before and after work. They were one of us. Competing for the love of it. Do athletes still love the sport? Or do they see it as a job? Or do they see it as a way to fame and money? Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting it's easy. They train at least as hard as their predecessors but somehow their successes don't excite the same. Probably some of it is being  an ageing miserable sod but the joy just isn't there anymore no matter how much Jessica Rabbit beams at me from the csh machine.

So I will watch. But I think it will just be the odd  highlights programmes this time.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
grimsby pete
August 1, 2016, 12:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I will only watch a few highlights,

Certainly not half as interested in watching it as much as the last one .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
barralad
August 1, 2016, 12:10pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Well I'll be watching as much as I can. I love the Olympics and for two weeks become an "expert" in tae kwando beach volleyball bmx canoeing shooting and other sports you only hear of every four years. I dont get put off by the track and field drugs shite because in those other sports the sacrifices made by the athletes to achieve what they achieve are phenomenal and the look on the faces of the medallists says it all. I was proud to be British in 2012 and didnt want it to end. Fantastic spirit of togetherness.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
Rick12
August 1, 2016, 12:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Will be watching the athletics and  boxing closely.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
cmackenzie4
August 1, 2016, 2:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
I will be watching the boxing, I always like to watch the top Amateurs, I much prefer it to watching the pro boxing.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 1, 2016, 2:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad
Well I'll be watching as much as I can. I love the Olympics and for two weeks become an "expert" in tae kwando beach volleyball bmx canoeing shooting and other sports you only hear of every four years. I dont get put off by the track and field drugs shite because in those other sports the sacrifices made by the athletes to achieve what they achieve are phenomenal and the look on the faces of the medallists says it all. I was proud to be British in 2012 and didnt want it to end. Fantastic spirit of togetherness.

I agree with you there. That is one plus side to the modern coverage of the games Barra. We didn't used to see those minority sports very much in the old days, apart from the show jumping because we were always good at that. It's still focussed far too much on the blue riband events and competitors for my liking these days though. I'm already sick of hearing about that bloody diver and his hang-ups. Personally, I think there should be a lot more beach volleyball.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
marinerjase
August 1, 2016, 3:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
Personally I love it..can't wait. Particularly interested in the Swimming. Adam Peaty nailed on for gold Sunday in 100m Breastroke, James Guy might surprise in the 400m Free. Also tbe track cycling,road race, boxing, triathlon, athletics, rowing..even archery. I'll watch it all.

If you let the issues put you off then they win. For every cheat there's 200 whos clean and put their life into being good enough to be there.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
northbankmariner
August 1, 2016, 6:05pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Love the Olympics, will be watching anything and everything supporting GB. I particularly like watching sports that otherwise don't get much TV coverage. E.G. Hockey, sailing, volleyball, archery canoeing and judo to name just a few. It is the greatest sporting event ever and every 4 years all the athletes reach peak perfection and you can only marvel at the levels and standards they achieve.
Yes I want to see true athletes, it appauls me the amount of doping that goes on in the persuit of a dream gold medal but I still get a buzz when any Brit in any event medals or at least does a personal best.
Cannot wait !!!!!!!

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2016, 12:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Feeling underwhelmed by it at the moment. Can't even get bothered by the Russian ban/no ban thing.

One thing I hate is all the drooling over Usain Bolt. 100m does not impress me that much. It's all foreplay and premature ejaculation. Even 200m is much better, and 1500 can be enthralling. Heptathlon/Decathlon I do like.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
pizzzza
August 2, 2016, 12:22pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Rick12
Will be watching the athletics and  boxing closely.

I'll be watching the Beach Volleyball closely.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rio 2016 - is anyone really bothered?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.