Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › What's your taste in music then?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

What's your taste in music then?

This thread currently has 82,474 views. Print
98 Pages Prev ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 18, 2020, 1:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Tom Waits getting into the spirit of the season with a Silent Night/Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis combo.

Good pick. I like those unusual Christmas Songs. Ella Fitzgerald sang about Santa getting stuck in her chimney.

Loudon Wainwright made several off centre Christmas songs. Here's two of them. He seemed to know what was important.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 520 - 976
promotion plaice
December 18, 2020, 10:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

This always makes me proud to be British:

H.M. Royal Marines Band - Basel Tattoo, 25-07-2013

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 521 - 976
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 18, 2020, 10:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Burden’s voice is amazing. As a young man he sounded like an old soul. Got me looking up the House of the Rising Sun. didn’t realise that it was such an old song, continuing a theme that might go back as far as the 16th century. Folk becomes Blues. No wonder I like it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Rising_Sun

The Animals record We Gotta Get Out Of This Place became the anthem for US kids in Vietnam . Burden said they didn’t realise for a while but then included it deliberately in concerts in the USA.

There is a super book with the same title that is made up of research about the songs liked and sung by the troops in Vietnam. Some of it is written by the troops themselves where they give their own favourites and songs that remind them of particular events in the war.

There are obvious ones, Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clearwater, Beach Boys, Stones, Beatles, The Doors etc. but some are surprises. Would you think of Nancy Sinatra’s These Boots Were Made For Walking for instance? Or John Denver’s Country Roads? Or Tom Jones The Green Green Grass Of Home ..... grass being a favourite subject! Black troops tended to go for Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye’s Heard It Through The Grapevine.

It really is a great book for memories and surprises.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 522 - 976
ginnywings
December 18, 2020, 11:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
My thoughts today go out to Kirsty MacColl, who was tragically killed 20 years ago today. Was a big fan of Kirsty, great songwriter, who was the daughter of another great songwriter, Ewan MacColl (not his real name by the way) who wrote Dirty Old Town, a song played at my brothers funeral. He also wrote First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, which surprises some people, as it was recorded and made famous by Roberta Flack, who was far from his English folk roots.

Anyway, back to Kirsty and her most famous moment, seeing as it's nearly Christmas. A song that just never gets old, and one that brings back many memories for me of people long gone and my Irish ancestry. Tears will be shed. Enjoy!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 523 - 976
ginnywings
December 18, 2020, 11:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Forgot this one. The song is about Salford.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 524 - 976
KingstonMariner
December 19, 2020, 12:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I didn’t know he wrote the First Time ... Ginny. Good stuff. Wonder if there’s a more folky version.

They had a doc about the making of Fairytale of New York on BBC4 tonight. If anything, I like it even more now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 525 - 976
KingstonMariner
December 19, 2020, 12:24am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

The Animals record We Gotta Get Out Of This Place became the anthem for US kids in Vietnam . Burden said they didn’t realise for a while but then included it deliberately in concerts in the USA.

There is a super book with the same title that is made up of research about the songs liked and sung by the troops in Vietnam. Some of it is written by the troops themselves where they give their own favourites and songs that remind them of particular events in the war.

There are obvious ones, Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clearwater, Beach Boys, Stones, Beatles, The Doors etc. but some are surprises. Would you think of Nancy Sinatra’s These Boots Were Made For Walking for instance? Or John Denver’s Country Roads? Or Tom Jones The Green Green Grass Of Home ..... grass being a favourite subject! Black troops tended to go for Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye’s Heard It Through The Grapevine.

It really is a great book for memories and surprises.

I really enjoyed (if that’s the right word) Ken Burns’ doc about Vietnam (which I’d rate with the World at War, and has a similar format). Will look for a cheap copy of that book. A lot of the songs you called out were featured in it, including These Boots are Made for Walking. Nice one! Cheers.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 526 - 976
ginnywings
December 19, 2020, 12:31am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I didn’t know he wrote the First Time ... Ginny. Good stuff. Wonder if there’s a more folky version.

They had a doc about the making of Fairytale of New York on BBC4 tonight. If anything, I like it even more now.

He wrote it for Peggy Seeger, who later became his wife. Very different (original) version.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 527 - 976
ginnywings
December 19, 2020, 12:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
I like Ewan MacColl folk stuff and i like stuff like this. Weird am I.

Best played at extreme volume.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 528 - 976
ginnywings
December 19, 2020, 1:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Classic rock+ Orchestra+ Albert Hall = perfect blend for me.

RIP Jon Lord. (keyboard player)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 529 - 976
98 Pages Prev ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › What's your taste in music then?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.