Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Non Football › What's your taste in music then?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 21 Guests

What's your taste in music then?

This thread currently has 82,509 views. Print
98 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
July 27, 2016, 11:31am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete

There used to be a folk night at my local in the 60's,

I really enjoyed it,

Sadly the Lifeboat is now a block of Flats.

I'm a big fan of folk music Pete especially Scottish folk music, I can remember the lifeboat but not the 60's... just a little before my time I'm afraid mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 976
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2016, 12:08am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I'm a big fan of folk music Pete especially Scottish folk music, I can remember the lifeboat but not the 60's... just a little before my time I'm afraid mate.

Me too. Well a decade before my time. Whiter Shade of Pale seemed to be on an endless loop on the jukebox.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 976
KingstonMariner
August 2, 2016, 12:12am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Glad you liked it KM, "She will find me" and "stepping stones" (Dougie Maclean) are worth a listen to also mate.

I need to be in the right mood for that. Didn't realise it was him who wrote the Gael. Superb. That just drives that film forward.

If it's the Caledonian stuff you like this is rather special. Especially this particular rendition. The intimacy of the set and the audience participation really add to it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 976
cmackenzie4
August 2, 2016, 9:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I need to be in the right mood for that. Didn't realise it was him who wrote the Gael. Superb. That just drives that film forward.

If it's the Caledonian stuff you like this is rather special. Especially this particular rendition. The intimacy of the set and the audience participation really add to it.

That's the first time I've heard that KM and what a fantastic voice she has.

I'll put a couple of my favourites up for you to listen to.

Glencoe is my favourite place on earth and this track is so powerful indeed, it's about the Glencoe massacre.

Very powerful words but so true.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 976
St. Pauli
August 4, 2016, 9:48am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1
70s/80s Soul & Funk  24/7
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 976
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 5, 2016, 12:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Time plays tricks with the memory and tastes change over time but nevertheless -

Steppeth right this way for Ron Rafferty's Magical Musical History Tour.  

My first memory of music that I actually liked, as opposed to stuff my parents played, was on the radio every Sunday after Two Way Family Favourites, this is the TV version from later years -

Somebody Stole My Gal has always been a sort of memory jogger to childhood as have -

Champion The Wonder Horse
Robin Hood (riding through the glen and other lyrics.)
The William Tell Overture for The Lone Ranger

The Dambusters film came out when I was little so there was a horde of kids running around with toy planes going "Da da da da da-da da da ....."

Then we got to slightly more grown up stuff - Wagon Train, Rawhide ..... and still most of them were on the Children's Favourites list on a Saturday Morning.
The Runaway Train - Michael Holliday,
I Went To Your Wedding - Spike Jones.
My Old Man's A Dustman - Lonnie Donegan
Hole In The Ground & Right Said Fred - Bernard Cribbens

But there were exceptions -

Rock Island Line - Lonnie Donegan
Freight Train - Nancy Whiskey
Only Sixteen - Sam Cooke
Cathy's Clown - The Everly Brothers
Poetry In Motion - Johnny Tillotson

and leading on to

Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison
Peggy Sue, Oh Boy etc. - Buddy Holly
Great Balls Of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
Girl Of My Best Friend etc etc - Elvis
Shazam - Duane Eddy
Telstar - Tornados
Midnight In Moscow - Kenny Ball
Wonderful Land, FBI its - Shadows
Runaround Sue - Dion & The Belmonts
Runaway, Hats Off To Larry etc - Del Shannon
Palisades Park - Freddy Cannon

I saw both Del Shannon and Freddy Cannon at the Ritz.

Then we reached The Beatles. I can't honestly remember where or when I first heard the Beatles but I suspect it was on Brian Matthew's Saturday Club. They were live on there quite regularly in 1962-4 and they had their own Pop Go The Beatles show as well. The quality of those live performances is amazing. If you have never thought much to the Beatles they are well worth a listen just to see what good musicians a young band could be in 1963. Compared to them the Stones and other groups were amateurish in musical terms though they might have compensated in other ways.My favourite Beatles tracks are the earlier ones -

If I Fell
In My Life
Eight Days A Week
Rock & Roll Music

There were a lot of Mersey hits and copycats around. Many a summer evening was spent after school making pocket money picking blackcurrants at Somercotes singing along to the strains of Pace And The Gerrymakers and Billy J Krapper.

Around this time West Side Story was very big. I can remember recording my mate's LP on my reel to reel. I don't think we were especially keen on the romantic stuff like Maria and There's A Place For Us but we liked the dance numbers like Gee Officer Krupke and When You're A Jet and the Rumble.

Another oddity was that I discovered Glenn Miller and Ella Fitzgerald, a taste which was a bit strange for a young teenager but which has stayed with me.

Then summers were spent at Eskimo and Birds Eye and the tastes changed again. Dylan was a big favourite. I was blown away by Like A Rolling Stone which made us realise a single could be an epic long before Bohemian Rhapsody came along. Sonny and Cher, well, mainly Cher I admit. Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez. Can you see a pattern here?

Jumping a year or two my biggest musical regret is probably that I never saw Sandy Denny perform live. Who Knows Where The Time Goes is one of my all time favourites.

But we did not like to be pigeon holed We were happy to go to a folk club on a Tuesday and a motown and soul night on a Thursday. Geno Washington, Jimmy James & The Vagabonds, even the Four Tops appeared at clubs in Sheffield and Nottingham.

The greatest 60s group of all for me though was The Animals in the early years. Burden, Price, Chandler & co. were magnificent on stage especially in a club. Gonna Send You Back To Walker has to be one the best rock & soul songs ever recorded.

The Kinks were good live as well except that Ray Davies cannot sing in tune to save his life. Lola is a great song though especially live. I saw them with and without Dave Davies and it showed how much he brought to the group. Sad to see him nowadays.

Another regret - I never saw Otis Redding or Sam Cooke live. Otis doing Shake and Satisfaction at full volume on the Dansette used to rock our hall of residence every Saturday night.

I'll leave it there for now. Sometime when I'm feeling energised again I'll try thinking of what music has made an impact after I stopped being a teenager all those moons ago. But those years live with you forever don't they?

This is one of my all time favourites.

Might I suggest turning the volume to number 11.

And if you need an encore -

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 976
grimsby pete
August 5, 2016, 3:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
RRFC  you are making me feel young again  

Chris my wife just said to me did I know the Lifeboat was supposed to be haunted,

Well I did but never saw it in all the years I went in there.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 976
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 5, 2016, 4:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
RRFC  you are making me feel young again  

Chris my wife just said to me did I know the Lifeboat was supposed to be haunted,

Well I did but never saw it in all the years I went in there.

Does you good to have a wallow now and again.  

Yes I knew about the Lifeboat but I never saw anything either. I think the ghost was supposed to be seen in the entrance on Queens Parade or in the snug on that side. Mind you I'd usually had so much Double Diamond I was seeing double or triple anyway in those days!

When I was early teens I lived not far from the Prom and every night at this time of year we would be down there to chat up the girls and generally play the fool. About half way between the station and Wonderland there used to be an arcade with a juke box. We would try and fiddle enough on the slots to be able to play this juke box and I remember my mate getting slung out for playing Elvis's Girl Of My Best Friend over and over. So next time he went he played the Shangri Las' Leader Of The Pack over and over till he got thrown out again. Finally he was banned altogether so he had to stand outside while we put the money in.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 976
bradzmilne
August 5, 2016, 9:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
Any indie rock fans?
The Libertines are probably who I describe as 'my' band. Saw the Stone Roses a couple of times this year who perhaps surprisingly sounded fantastic.  
Kasabian also a fantastic live band, every time I have seen them especially in Leicester they have been incredible.
Special mentions for The Jam, obviously will never get too see them though.  

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 976
cmackenzie4
August 6, 2016, 11:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Some good choices RRFC, a little before my time but great music nonetheless, the 50's and 60's was always on in my house when I was a kid,  Runaway by Del Shannon and bits and pieces by Dave Clark five spring to mind.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 976
98 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Non Football › What's your taste in music then?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.