Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Amond move to Hartlepool (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 9 Guests

Amond move to Hartlepool (merged)

This thread currently has 31,369 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimbiggs
June 20, 2016, 12:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from BackHeelTony
Really don't see how we could have offered  Amond ,  Tait or Arnold anymore than  1 deals when they're not proven at this level. We must remember they all got released by league 2 clubs to come to us!
...Yeah but in the case of Tait and Amond, there was obviously going to be better offers on the table, so a 1 year contract is just a token gesture....the real disappointment is that a club like Hartlepool are able to poach our best players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 161
grimsby pete
June 20, 2016, 12:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Podge had a brilliant season for us,

He scored loads of goals,

Got dropped on the odd occasion,

But never complained  he just got his head down and worked harder,

He was 100% a professional .

However he did struggle to score against the better teams,

He his at an age to start making some money out of this games as he will not have that many seasons left if he stayed with us for another year or two,

So if he goes I will be sad but he goes with my blessing and good wishes,

Thanks for the promotion Podge because we would not have done it without your goals,

Just do not come back here and score against us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 161
cmackenzie4
June 20, 2016, 12:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Who's to say he would score the amount of goals he did last season anyway! He will be up against better defences this season, TBH when I first heard he was going I was a bit miffed (so was my lad) but now I'm excited in who Paul will be bringing in, remember we have Bogle who himself is a very good striker - let's stay positive about this.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 161
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 20, 2016, 12:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Garth

Think about it, if Hurst wanted  Podge (top scorer) to stay and was told no by the board, knowing the pride of the manager regarding his past exploits, do you not think it would be Hurst who would have decided to leave the club.
I think and its only a guess that Hurst as we all, admired Podge`s efforts last season, but  he will not be held to ransom by any one player at the expense of the team, good luck Podge but not against us

I don't know. Really, none of us do. Looking at the evidence, no players were offered more than a 12 months contract so that looks to me like a policy decision regardless of individuals. It doesn't strike me as a ransom situation, more a take it or leave it one.

The offers were sort of "we don't mind if you want to stay another year but if you can do better elsewhere we won't try and stop you".

There will be reasons for that policy but we can't second guess at this stage. It's a high risk strategy though if all those players prove to have been at least as good as squad fillers Hurst might be forced into taking just to make up the numbers in a hurry.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 161
HertsGTFC
June 20, 2016, 12:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,870
Gold Stars: 227

I don't know. Really, none of us do. Looking at the evidence, no players were offered more than a 12 months contract so that looks to me like a policy decision regardless of individuals. It doesn't strike me as a ransom situation, more a take it or leave it one.

The offers were sort of "we don't mind if you want to stay another year but if you can do better elsewhere we won't try and stop you".

There will be reasons for that policy but we can't second guess at this stage. It's a high risk strategy though if all those players prove to have been at least as good as squad fillers Hurst might be forced into taking just to make up the numbers in a hurry.

Or maybe offering some one year deals has freed up the opportunity to offer new additions of better quality 2 year deals. If you want to bring in players who are better than what you have/had then you need to offer more value in a deal than what you would to existing players.
This feels a bit disloyal to those that took us up but sadly it happens that way.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 161
MuddyWaters
June 20, 2016, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Macca got a 2 year deal and we don't know what Nolan or Toto were offered.
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 161
Grimal
June 20, 2016, 12:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,856
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Who that Tw*t from Ireland
Who that money grabbing hore
Padraig Amond is he name and he hasn't got a brain
And he won't be going up anymore !

That's not really on is it.. Disrespect for a player that gave his all for our club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 161
immariner
June 20, 2016, 12:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,405
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Or maybe offering some one year deals has freed up the opportunity to offer new additions of better quality 2 year deals. If you want to bring in players who are better than what you have/had then you need to offer more value in a deal than what you would to existing players.
This feels a bit disloyal to those that took us up but sadly it happens that way.  

My thoughts exactly. Were we trying to sign a 37-goal striker from the Conference I'm certain we'd offer them more than a 1 year contract. But Hurst isn't naïve, surely he must have known offering only a 1 year contract (if that is the case) would almost certainly see Amond going elsewhere? An exercise in pointlessness it seems. It's a bit perplexing, unless Hurst truly feels he can get better value for money with other players. Amond has gotten double figures in League 2 before and was apparently played on the wing for most of that season, so it's not as if he hasn't shown he is League 2 quality before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 161
rancido
June 20, 2016, 12:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Grimal

Was it that Arnold told people or someone said Arnold told people ?  we all know how rumours spread. Loads of Shite flying about at the moment.

Ah , but was this a plausible rumour ?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 161
rancido
June 20, 2016, 1:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
I hate this " Billy Big Bollox " attitude towards Hartlepool - they are a Div 2 side , same as us!. We don't know their wage structure, finances or anything else about the clubs funding. They could be aiming for a small, well paid squad or have several players on long , lowish pay contracts that allows them to fund one or two quality players.
PH knows what he needs.He was certainly a very experienced league defender and as such knows what a sort of striker he needs to combat a league 2 defence. If Amond was offered a 1 year deal , then fair enough, it gives PH time to assess his effectiveness against League 2 defences and doesn't tie us to a player who doesn't repeat his goal scoring feats this season. As has been pointed out he has played at this level for two other clubs and certainly didn't tear any trees up for them. Maybe he wasn't played at his best position for them but that would be a strong argument if it only applied to one team but not two.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 161
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Amond move to Hartlepool (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.