Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Amond move to Hartlepool (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 6 Guests

Amond move to Hartlepool (merged)

This thread currently has 31,512 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
June 20, 2016, 8:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I'm pretty sure that Podge was played out wide at his last club, so maybe that explains why he never scored so many in League 2 before. He looks a natural finisher to me; scores all types of goals, left foot, right foot, headers and i'm a bit surprised we didn't try harder to keep him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 161
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 20, 2016, 8:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I find this hard to understand. Yes, it's true that Amond has not proved himself in L2 but he wasn't playing with Bogle in L2 so it's not a given that he wouldn't do well for Town this season.

Personally I think he has had his defining moment, his Connell season, and that is his career peak as a goalscorer. But this is a squad game and Amond still has something to offer even if he is only one of a 4 striker set up. Hurst may even be able to find what he thinks is a better player than Amond (one that runs all day with his back to goal) but that isn't really the point.

Who are Grimsby likely to sign as back up strikers? Will it be anyone as good as a bloke who scored nearly 40 goals for us last year? Unlikely isn't it? Therefore I'd have thought a 2 year deal was worth a punt. If he does the stuff then sell him on during the 2 years and make a profit. If he doesn't then it's not going to break the bank and he can always go out on loan in the Conference.

All of which makes me think there is rather more to Hurst's decision than meets the eye. Hurst has some very strange ideas about strikers.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 161
cannylad68
June 20, 2016, 8:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
All of a sudden, Bogle appears to be our best striker last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 161
headingly_mariner
June 20, 2016, 8:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm pretty sure that Podge was played out wide at his last club, so maybe that explains why he never scored so many in League 2 before. He looks a natural finisher to me; scores all types of goals, left foot, right foot, headers and i'm a bit surprised we didn't try harder to keep him.

This. Even playing wide he was a 1 in 4 player at this level. Right service to him and he will score goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 161
dapperz fun pub
June 20, 2016, 8:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Should have kept bogle and podge together for one more season that for me would have guaranteed mid table security and maybe more, but I don't blame anyone for chasing money in s short career
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 161
Willgtfc
June 20, 2016, 9:23am
Season ticket holder
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +76
by the sounds of it to me podge already had his mind up he was going to leave ages ago when he gave that interview to humberside after he'd already scored a hat full of goal think it was around Christmas ! I hate this phrase people keep jumping on the band wagon and saying "OH ITS LACK OF AMBITION" get a ducking grip of yourself ! Paul hurst knows him better then anyone at the club not anyone on this forum so I respect his decision I personally wouldn't have offered him a 2 year deal yes I loved him last season and I would of loved it if he'd of stayed but he hasn't and I frankly don't care I have faith in PH and at the end of the day it's about an individual who's nearing the latter stages of his career trying to make as much money as he can for himself to set him up for when he hangs up his boots ! I thank you podge for your services but like I've said before and I will again I really doubt he'll get many over 10 goals next season. just like he did when Connell,Hearn and Lewis left I'm confident PH will find a more then suitable replacement!  Don't forget we already have bogle full of confidence after the end of this year ! Thank you and goodbye podge move on !!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 161
Abdul19
June 20, 2016, 9:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,551
Gold Stars: 215
Overrated anyway, hope we get Tomlinsons back.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 161
OllieGTFC
June 20, 2016, 9:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Who that Tw*t from Ireland
Who that money grabbing hore
Padraig Amond is he name and he hasn't got a brain
And he won't be going up anymore !

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 161
ginnywings
June 20, 2016, 9:31am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Who that Tw*t from Ireland
Who that money grabbing hore
Padraig Amond is he name and he hasn't got a brain
And he won't be going up anymore !

Wow! Really?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 161
mariner91
June 20, 2016, 9:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,620
Gold Stars: 260
No need for the personal insults. He came here with little to no reputation, scored a nearly record amount of goals for us and gave us some of the best striker performances we've seen in years and leaves having done his job of getting us back into the club. There were no games where you could question his effort and I loved watching his clever movement off the ball. He's one of my favourite ever Town players and I wish he was staying but he isn't so we have to trust PH gets a better replacement in and I wish Podge good luck and thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 161
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Amond move to Hartlepool (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.