ginnywings
May 18, 2016, 9:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry
There must have been hundreds of Town fans at Old Trafford last night as their manager was roundly booed when he tried to speak on the pitch after the game.

Plenty of Van Gaal out banners too. Must be a dear do for Town fans to go to Old Trafford and twice to Wembley in a week.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 65
Rik e B
May 18, 2016, 10:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
How we get there I don't know
How we get there I don't care
All I know is Grimsby's on the way.

The negatives have been used as a motivational tool by  Hurst and appears to have contributed to getting us over the line 'to prove them wrong'.

Would they have snapped out of it if nobody had a go? I'm not trying to justify those that go too far with personal abuse but it looked like the wheels were coming off somewhat and even staunch Pro-Hurster's like myself were struggling to justify keeping blind faith.

He's entitled to his rant if certain people have upset him and his family but I think going forward we should focus on the positives. Whoever at the reigns got to accept there's a Grim Grimbarian eternal pessimist element -that just comes with the territory.

Be it Buckley in the Championship or whatever you'd still have the same old shitlarks heckling towards the dugouts from the Main Stand and whatnot.

Focus on the positives I say; trust me if the majority really wanted him out BP would become a very nasty place with attendances dropping seriously low repeatedly and anti Hurst and Fenty chants ringing around the grounds home and away. Massive booing and abuse towards players would come with all this.

We've not seen any of that, there's been a couple of matches where attendance dropped a bit but then you look at the swollen fanatical away followings,  the extra Season ticket sales, the overall increase in attendance, the positive or at the very least neutral atmosphere. The loud chanting towards the end of playoff final when we could easily have all been sat in silence biting our nails, the great turnout throughout the borough for open top bus parade.

So many positives I really think they should be latched onto instead. It was the weight of expectation but now that job is done and we can, to a man, breath easier.

From my vantage point in the Pontoon and selection of away matches abuse has been very minimal with great  patience shown. You always get the odd one, but even they have in the main bitten their tongue and wittered to their mates instead of spewing vitriol towards the player's.

I get the feeling some on here are just trolls, some don't bother to go anymore and are just full of venom towards Fenty and every incumbent no matter what, some do go but forever unsatisfied right up to the more neutral who just had serious doubts after seeing tactical shortcomings for so long. Even stretching to Pro-Hurster's like myself struggling to defend and agreeing with some of the concerns raised.

I hope we can move on together, I had a bit of ding dong with my mate after Wembley -he was proclaiming how smug he was to be proved right and couldn't wait to rub it in Anti-Hurster's faces.... He sounded so bitter and angry I called him an 'anti-anti Hurster' and just as bad as them -'smug' has such negative connotations I'd prefer to be just plain old clean 'happy'!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 65
arryarryarry
May 18, 2016, 10:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

Plenty of Van Gaal out banners too. Must be a dear do for Town fans to go to Old Trafford and twice to Wembley in a week.  

Or it was a Man U fan that put that banner up on the flyover.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 65
DickBarton
May 18, 2016, 10:23am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: -355
Surely it's time to end this long playing record. Some have apologised, some have gloated, now let's move forward. We have a very good young manager, We have some great players that we want to hold on to, let's get right behind them and convince them that they should stay here next season.

Let's change the record to Ken dodds happiness and buy tickets for this weekend.

The double is still on and I want to be there to enjoy it,  don't you?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 65
arryarryarry
May 18, 2016, 10:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from 1mickylyons

AB used to have regular spats with some of those behind the dugouts and trust me he more than held his own.The decision to sack him ultimately cost us our football league place and that was largely down to one mistake signing that twit Martin Butler who left AB out to dry.

I've said it before but the game after he had gone I think probably the second time there were balloons and streamers up in one of the executive boxes in the Findus Stand celebrating his leaving.

PH could do well to ask AB how he coped with those who didn't agree with him or his tactics. Wherever he manages a football club he has to be thick skinned and he will soon realise it isn't just at Grimsby where his managing will be questioned.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 65
codcheeky
May 18, 2016, 10:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from arryarryarry
There must have been hundreds of Town fans at Old Trafford last night as their manager was roundly booed when he tried to speak on the pitch after the game.

Perhaps the only difference is one manager failed in his objective this season and one succeeded
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 65
diehardmariner
May 18, 2016, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,429
Gold Stars: 532
Can someone please just release the fixtures/sign some players/someone sign a new contract/someone sign for someone else just so we can stop this embarrassing 'you said this and I said this and then this happened' tripe?

It's flipping pathetic!  We've won promotion.  PROMOTION!!!! Yet there's still point scoring and nit picking going on.  Who cares who said what, who cares who backed the manager most?  

It's no wonder the pool of people posting on this forum appears to dwindling when most threads get turned into this type of crap all the time!  We've all had our say, throughout the season.  MOVE ON!  Enjoy the fact we're back in the Football League!
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 65
Maringer
May 18, 2016, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Hurst did a good job. Winning promotion out of the Conference is incredibly difficult at the best of times, but when you're being outspent by a few teams (and considerably so in some cases), getting over the line takes some doing. Just look at Luton, for example. Took them years, despite their great expenditure.

Oddly enough, I don't think Hurst has done nearly as good a job this season as last when, let's not forget, we would also have been promoted but for a terrible refereeing decision going against us. This year, I feel his signings weren't good enough following the promising start in the close season and the failure to get that 4th striker really cost us any chance of getting near the title.

But please, let's give him (and the players) the credit which has been well-earned and don't start trying to claim we've won promotion due to 'lucky' injuries forcing his hand.

Next season, I hope that the kudos of League status will make it a bit easier for us to sign the sorts of players we were unable to get last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 65
golfer
May 18, 2016, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from DickBarton
Surely it's time to end this long playing record. Some have apologised, some have gloated, now let's move forward. We have a very good young manager, We have some great players that we want to hold on to, let's get right behind them and convince them that they should stay here next season.

Let's change the record to Ken dodds happiness and buy tickets for this weekend.

The double is still on and I want to be there to enjoy it,  don't you?

Yes !  As long as he picks the strongest team possible and doesn,t revert back to his sentimental and pigheaded ways just to give certain people a medal.  We are in it so lets win it  Halifax are going to go hell for leather to get something out of their season, lets match them with Grimsby  Grit.  Lets have another 7-0 win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 65
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 18, 2016, 1:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Maringer
Hurst did a good job. Winning promotion out of the Conference is incredibly difficult at the best of times, but when you're being outspent by a few teams (and considerably so in some cases), getting over the line takes some doing. Just look at Luton, for example. Took them years, despite their great expenditure.

Oddly enough, I don't think Hurst has done nearly as good a job this season as last when, let's not forget, we would also have been promoted but for a terrible refereeing decision going against us. This year, I feel his signings weren't good enough following the promising start in the close season and the failure to get that 4th striker really cost us any chance of getting near the title.

But please, let's give him (and the players) the credit which has been well-earned and don't start trying to claim we've won promotion due to 'lucky' injuries forcing his hand.

Next season, I hope that the kudos of League status will make it a bit easier for us to sign the sorts of players we were unable to get last year.

But we did win promotion because injuries forced his hand!    Do you really believe that the side would have played the same way with the same tactics if Monkhouse had been fit? I don't think Monkhouse is (or more correctly was) a bad player but just his presence meant that the "out" ball to the left side was always the preferred option and Braintree dealt with that very easily indeed as would FGR. We won promotion with two very good performances and playing largely through the midfield. If we had carried on with the same side in the same way as we had for several previous games there's no way we would have had the open topped bus.

Anyway regardless of that, we made it in the end and as you say, we may be able to persuade some better players to come now we are a league club. The crunch is that we don't need another bunch of bench fillers, we need quality. That means two or three players who would not be out of place in L1 and it means splashing the cash.

I don't believe consolidation the way to go, that can easily end up as a league bottom battle. Go for the top. I'd rather be disappointed with mid-table than heartbroken with relegation.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Overwhelming feeling of anger

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.