7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
nightrider
May 17, 2016, 9:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Looking back, way back, I was only little, Buckley I, I thought he got a lot more abuse.
Always getting heckled when things weren't going our way. And that was just from the Main Stand

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 65
nightrider
May 17, 2016, 9:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
[quote=3478]Looking back, way back, I was only little, Buckley I, I thought he got a lot more abuse.
Always getting heckled when things weren't going our way. And that was just from the Main Stand

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 65
May 17, 2016, 9:51pm
Guest User
Methinks the original poster doth protest too much.....

(Since we're getting Shakespearian)
Reply: 42 - 65
golfer
May 18, 2016, 7:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Hurst is understandably reaping the glory, I would be doing the same,but in a way he still feels sorry for himself. He seems a nice family loving bloke not like some higher up the leagues. After his holidays , and his contract has been signed and sealed I hope he sits down and ponders.  Ponders why there was negativity from the majority of fans in the last 3 months. Oh yes, it was from the majority.   When the transfer window opened their was friendly banter about who we were going to sign".Guess whose legs these are on the training field " I think I had 10 guesses , I,m still sure they were Pele,s and not Strakers, The majority of fans felt let down by the quality of signings. At the time we were in the middle of a 9-10 match winning run. Then to me he started to lose the plot. He altered the system.Starting with Gateshead and Halifax our performances went downhill. Almost everybody started playing poorly. This caused lack of confidence in the players, the longer it went on the worst it was getting. The fans were getting worried. We were all looking over our shoulders at the chasing pack. But he still wouldn,t alter the system. The same big boot to Monkey, predictable substitutions,seemingly no plan never mind a plan B.  Except for the odd game we were no longer a team that others feared. It was easy for them. Even I could have managed a team to stop Town winning. FANS  on the Fishy were coming up with their own ideas on what team to pick and what tactics to deploy,  Why wouldn,t he do something. Fans were getting more and more worried. Negativity was justifiably getting worse,abuse from a very small minority.  Hurst,s remarks whether out of context or not were hurting a lot of people. We managed to reach the playoffs.  We lost at home to Braintree using the same tactics, thats it, all hope gone.  Then something happened. Was it something he had to do through injury or did he decide to look at what a section of the fans were pleading with him to do.  " When was the last time the players and the fans showed 100% commitment,---The Wrexham home game "   Nothing to lose , lets try it at Braintree. It worked. It worked again at Wembley.   Ponder Paul----Ponder,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 65
1mickylyons
May 18, 2016, 8:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from tarka

And this post, to me, just about sums it up.  Hurst who has been in football all his life, had a successful playing career and a successful managerial career albeit it at a non league level.  He is respected far and wide within the game and, just to make it clear....Bogle came here because Solihull's manager thought he would be the best manager to take him to the next level.  When he came here he was portrayed as the shorty out of shorty and shouty. After Scott left he was subsequently referred to as tactically naive and "not a winner"  by people who know less about the game than he has forgotten.  Some idiots on here try to claim that he had a falling out with Bogle....not true. He was barracked by the brain dead 20 minutes into the first leg against Braintree.  Some cretin put a Hurst Out banner up so the team bus could see it as they travelled to Wembley!!

Yes....he will (and should) get criticism on here in a reasonable and respectful manner but it went much too far.....and now the critics are still trying to claim they knew better....Monkhouse was injured.....he played 433 at Braintree and I was suggesting that all along! Give it a bloody rest! Just give him the credit he deserves.  He did the job and he did it well.

On a final note...if someone had put that banner up and I was in charge I'd have wanted to shove it where the sun doesn't shine.....no wonder he was angry.....no wonder they haven't held their hands up to it. Pond life...that's my first post for ages and no doubt I'll be hammered for it. But I really don't bloody care!

I remember you and very few others backing AB and his last few weeks in that final spell tarka and bloody good for you.PH much like AB doesn't do himself any favours with the fans in interviews etc but when it comes to winning games of football they seem to win more than they lose.I have been frustrated,bored and bloody angry with PH at times but I backed him last year by buying a season ticket for the first time since AB was disgracefully sacked and I will back him again next season.PH is a good manager but he doesn't do soundbites or good PR that`s just is way safe pair of hands were lucky to have him Mike Newell again anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 65
Badger57
May 18, 2016, 8:19am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30

Oh dear. You have clearly demonstrated how much you care less about naysayers by writing a diatribe about them that really should be in chalk on the playground wall.

Just cast your mind back to the morning of the semi-final second leg. How many fans were confident of even getting a draw in normal time in that game when we had failed to score against Braintree and didn't look like scoring in the first leg? Cast your mind back to those games this season where the only tactic seemed to be the long ball to Monkhouse's head and how we looked clueless when that was sussed by any half intelligent opposition.

Now put the two together. Monkhouse was injured. The side had to be changed and had to play in a different way. Result? A result. Plan B by default. Team selection for Wembley? Again no Monkhouse. No long hopeful punt up the left wing. Result? A result.

If anyone has the right to say "I told you so" it is the critics, your naysayers, who had been asking for that very change in selection and tactics for weeks/months, but the change came not by choice but by chance.

I am delighted for the manager. He has been under pressure all season. I think OP put him under even more pressure than normal and it has shown in his body language and his interviews. He works hard. He's signed some good players as well as some poor ones. He's played the percentages and this year he has had the play off luck that he maybe didn't get in previous seasons and who's to say he doesn't deserve it?

But people are entitled to say what they think about what they observe as long as it isn't personal abuse. I hope the Fishy will continue to be an outlet for constructive criticism and that the manager would take it as such.

Hammer, nail, head!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 65
1mickylyons
May 18, 2016, 8:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from nightrider
[quote=3478]Looking back, way back, I was only little, Buckley I, I thought he got a lot more abuse.

AB used to have regular spats with some of those behind the dugouts and trust me he more than held his own.The decision to sack him ultimately cost us our football league place and that was largely down to one mistake signing that twit Martin Butler who left AB out to dry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 65
grimps
May 18, 2016, 8:29am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from nightrider
Looking back, way back, I was only little, Buckley I, I thought he got a lot more abuse.

I can remember Buckley offering someone out sat behind the dugout in the Main stand , He was never a PR man but knew what he was doing and made it clear he'd never change his footballing principles.
Fergie had been hated at Man Utd for a couple of years until he got lucky and won the FA cup in 1990 , he then went on to be the best manager that there has ever been.
This sort of thing comes with the territory if you're a football manager , Hurst will learn how to deal with it eventually
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 65
Badger57
May 18, 2016, 9:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from nightrider

George Kerr also. Remember him bringing a player on with a few minutes to go when we were chasing a game(can't remember who unfortunately.) " You haven't got a clue Kerr, why are you putting him on?" from some in the main stand.   2 minutes later an incredibly important equalizer from the (un)said player, George turns to the main stand and gesticulating wildly and screams, "THAT'S fu**ing why!" Lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 65
arryarryarry
May 18, 2016, 9:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
There must have been hundreds of Town fans at Old Trafford last night as their manager was roundly booed when he tried to speak on the pitch after the game.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Overwhelming feeling of anger

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.