This thread currently has 13,881 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
big al
May 17, 2016, 7:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
There was a clear dip in form over the last 8 to 10 games - that's a fact. I thought Town were brilliant on Sunday - that's a fact.
He and the team pulled it out of the bag and they deserve all the plaudits we can throw at them. Doesn't mean that they didn't deserve some of the criticism they got.

I have been an unswerving PH fan but that doesn't mean I think no one should state how they feel about him as a manager and as our manager. Maybe I've missed something, but I don't recall anything too offensive or hate-fuelled having been said. At many other clubs there would have been 'Hurst - out!' protests from the section of the fans that wanted him gone, at numerous home games. I think he's got a great future and I hope he will learn to love the fans of this club as we hold him in ever greater respect but I also think he needs a slightly thicker skin. He's the manager of a football club where fans speak their mind.

By the way, I'm all up for some Paul Hurst 'love in' over the summer but he needs to join in. I have an overwhelming feeling of joy!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 65
tarka
May 17, 2016, 7:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +890
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Bigdog

Not sure whether you mean me Les, but I have called Paul Hurst a clown in a post and also a chump. The worst I've posted out of pure frustration. Anyone can read my posts going back to February. I think on the whole I've backed up my frustration with reasoned argument and not what anyone could call abuse. In fact I've defended him at times if anyone wants to read through my posts. I have also posted a couple of times on other threads congratulating him and praising Nathan Arnold since the Final.

I think I'm going to be honest and actually say what I think.

I am over the moon that we've gone up, I really am. Sunday for me was a release of a lot of pent up frustration. I've been on cloud nine since.

I don't get the love in with Paul Hurst though. I get that he is the manager that has got us promoted. I get that he's a decent man, I've posted that too on many occasions. But he hasn't been too complimentary to us the fans over the years, well before the latter part of this season.

I actually think he got very lucky this year. I think we can all accept that whenever Monkhouse has been fit, Hurst has played him. So, Aldershot away 2-0 down at half-time, Monkhouse and Hoban are injured so he was forced to make changes and bring Bogle on and we went on to win, If we hadn't have won there we would have been going to Tranmere on the last day of the season needing a result to even qualify for the play-offs. The same with Braintree away. Monkhouse fit for the first leg, he plays and we were sh1te. Forced to make changes for the second leg due to an injury, we're a different team. Gave Hurst massive respect for the substitutions in that game but we got to that point out of circumstance not planning.

My first post on this site was on 20th of February calling for a midfield three and I've been frustrated that Hurst hasn't seen this for months. Circumstances got him to that point over the past week nothing else. I am not apologising for my opinions nor should anyone else. Abuse is another matter.

Do I think Hurst deserves to manage us next season? On balance, because he got us up, yes. Do I think he's a good manager? Probably not. Do I think he's the new messiah all of a sudden? Certainly not! To be honest I don't think I got it that wrong with most of my posts if anyone wants to take the time to read them again. All of them written out of the love and passion I have for GTFC and wanting the club to achieve great things.

Promotion this year is a massive step, but there's a long way to go yet and no Mariners fan should settle for mediocrity.

And this post, to me, just about sums it up.  Hurst who has been in football all his life, had a successful playing career and a successful managerial career albeit it at a non league level.  He is respected far and wide within the game and, just to make it clear....Bogle came here because Solihull's manager thought he would be the best manager to take him to the next level.  When he came here he was portrayed as the shorty out of shorty and shouty. After Scott left he was subsequently referred to as tactically naive and "not a winner"  by people who know less about the game than he has forgotten.  Some idiots on here try to claim that he had a falling out with Bogle....not true. He was barracked by the brain dead 20 minutes into the first leg against Braintree.  Some cretin put a Hurst Out banner up so the team bus could see it as they travelled to Wembley!!

Yes....he will (and should) get criticism on here in a reasonable and respectful manner but it went much too far.....and now the critics are still trying to claim they knew better....Monkhouse was injured.....he played 433 at Braintree and I was suggesting that all along! Give it a bloody rest! Just give him the credit he deserves.  He did the job and he did it well.

On a final note...if someone had put that banner up and I was in charge I'd have wanted to shove it where the sun doesn't shine.....no wonder he was angry.....no wonder they haven't held their hands up to it. Pond life...that's my first post for ages and no doubt I'll be hammered for it. But I really don't bloody care!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 65
Marinerz93
May 17, 2016, 7:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Often in life you wipe the slate clean with what's gone before.

A new league, a new start, let's not look back, we are not going that way.

Onwards and upwards.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 65
Grim74
May 17, 2016, 7:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from Marinerz93
Often in life you wipe the slate clean with what's gone before.

A new league, a new start, let's not look back, we are not going that way.

Onwards and upwards.

Water under the bridge now we move on why some people on here want to beat themselves up over comments they did or didn't say is beyond me wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Samaritans Grimsby branch as been overly busy.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 65
Nelly GTFC
May 17, 2016, 8:40pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
I said at the start of the season if Hurst doesn't take us up, maybe it's time to look at other options, if he takes us up then he would deserve the right to progress the club and his own career.

I started to doubt him only when we lost at Braintree at home in the league game, was angry and said on here he's a muppet which I apologise for, but he's proved me wrong and I'm happy he's staying.

Hurst more than anyone has the best chance of keeping the players he brought into this club, and I'm rather excited at the prospect of the players he will bring into the club to push further, I see no doubt whatsoever that we can follow in Bristol Rovers footsteps and jump from League 2 to League 1.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 65
RonMariner
May 17, 2016, 8:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
Time to move on.

It was a tough season, emotions ran high on both sides, but it ended well for us.

So now let's all move forward together, fans players, management.  We all came together after last seasons play off defeat, and so let's have the same positive mind set for our assault on L2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 65
HertsGTFC
May 17, 2016, 8:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from excusebeef
I have just listened to the players and the manager on the radio both before and after the playoff final and what upsets and angers me the most is that every single player backed the manager and thought some fans were totally out of order post first leg and rightly so, PH has said the victory was for those fans that stood by the team and not for those that turned their back on him and the players.

You only have to listen to Dis, Pearson, Podge, Monkhouse talk so highly of PH saying he's so passionate about football and winning even if he doesn't show it, the players have the utmost respect for him, Us fans do not see behind the scenes, and we all know the dressing room is far more important than fan's perception sometimes. And year in year out PH has built a team that prides itself on togetherness, something we seemed to have forgotten from last year which let's be honest kick started the love towards out players knowing that there was true unity for once.

I would be gutted if those that wanted him sacked on the first leg have done irreparable damage to his feelings and the player's feelings about the club.

The racists at Halifax, the Hurst Out brigade it's all a bit sour and I think anyone who doubted the team should be ashamed of themselves.

I would definately advise anyone to listen to the match again post Sunday to realise how wrong many were

Have you ever heard of the "Sumo" theory? ..............It's based upon the principle of Shut Up Move On  

Where promoted, managers staying and no more  Lincoln next season!!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 65
MeanwoodMariner
May 17, 2016, 8:56pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I truly believe that by the weekend this tension will all be over and there will be peace in the GTFC galaxy. I include Hurst in that. I think he possibly allowed the criticism to affect him too much, or perhaps deliberately created the siege mentality in his own head and in the squad to get the best out of them. Give him a fan unity and positivity and I think he'll use that to his advantage even more effectively.

With my non-existent psychological knowledge I would say get any lingering frustration on this topic out of your system in the next day or two, then enjoy the Trophy final and then a summer of hope before we enjoy a new lease of life in the FL! It won't be long before the fixture list comes out and every team we play is a full time club, all of which are based in actual towns and cities. The Osmond end will regularly have fans that you can actually see and hear, and we won't have to patronisingly applaud 12 people for coming to BP to watch their team's effort to play out a turgid 0-0.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 65
Marinerz93
May 17, 2016, 9:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I truly believe that by the weekend this tension will all be over and there will be peace in the GTFC galaxy. I include Hurst in that. I think he possibly allowed the criticism to affect him too much, or perhaps deliberately created the siege mentality in his own head and in the squad to get the best out of them. Give him a fan unity and positivity and I think he'll use that to his advantage even more effectively.

With my non-existent psychological knowledge I would say get any lingering frustration on this topic out of your system in the next day or two, then enjoy the Trophy final and then a summer of hope before we enjoy a new lease of life in the FL! It won't be long before the fixture list comes out and every team we play is a full time club, all of which are based in actual towns and cities. The Osmond end will regularly have fans that you can actually see and hear, and we won't have to patronisingly applaud 12 people for coming to BP to watch their team's effort to play out a turgid 0-0.

He did say in an interview that he printed out some of the criticism to spur the players on and prove people wrong, so you are probably not far off the truth.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 65
ginnywings
May 17, 2016, 9:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
The way i see it is this:-

A lot of regulars on this site stuck their heads above the parapet. Those in the pro Hurst camp got to keep their lovely features and those like me who were Hurst detractors got their ugly mugs shot off. I can live with that.

To err is human, to forgive divine.

UTFM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Overwhelming feeling of anger

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.