This thread currently has 13,924 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
excusebeef
May 17, 2016, 2:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
I have just listened to the players and the manager on the radio both before and after the playoff final and what upsets and angers me the most is that every single player backed the manager and thought some fans were totally out of order post first leg and rightly so, PH has said the victory was for those fans that stood by the team and not for those that turned their back on him and the players.

You only have to listen to Dis, Pearson, Podge, Monkhouse talk so highly of PH saying he's so passionate about football and winning even if he doesn't show it, the players have the utmost respect for him, Us fans do not see behind the scenes, and we all know the dressing room is far more important than fan's perception sometimes. And year in year out PH has built a team that prides itself on togetherness, something we seemed to have forgotten from last year which let's be honest kick started the love towards out players knowing that there was true unity for once.

I would be gutted if those that wanted him sacked on the first leg have done irreparable damage to his feelings and the player's feelings about the club.

The racists at Halifax, the Hurst Out brigade it's all a bit sour and I think anyone who doubted the team should be ashamed of themselves.

I would definately advise anyone to listen to the match again post Sunday to realise how wrong many were
Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
May 17, 2016, 3:04pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
To be fair there are some who have already apologised and admitted they were wrong but there are still quite a few posters who kept banging on about how "We'll never get promoted with this clown in charge" who have been deafening with their silence since Sunday!

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 65
Jaws
May 17, 2016, 3:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
It is odd how we went from a season penned as a failure to ultimately our greatest season in almost 20 years in the space of 90 minutes.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 65
excusebeef
May 17, 2016, 3:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
We were in the playoffs all season which given the record of teams finishing so poorly after a playoff final defeat (Wrexham, Gateshead, Kidderminster) to not back everyone until our fete was decided at 5:50 on Sunday was pretty poor IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 65
moosey_club
May 17, 2016, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from excusebeef
I have just listened to the players and the manager on the radio both before and after the playoff final and what upsets and angers me the most is that every single player backed the manager and thought some fans were totally out of order post first leg and rightly so, PH has said the victory was for those fans that stood by the team and not for those that turned their back on him and the players.

You only have to listen to Dis, Pearson, Podge, Monkhouse talk so highly of PH saying he's so passionate about football and winning even if he doesn't show it, the players have the utmost respect for him, Us fans do not see behind the scenes, and we all know the dressing room is far more important than fan's perception sometimes. And year in year out PH has built a team that prides itself on togetherness, something we seemed to have forgotten from last year which let's be honest kick started the love towards out players knowing that there was true unity for once.

I would be gutted if those that wanted him sacked on the first leg have done irreparable damage to his feelings and the player's feelings about the club.

The racists at Halifax, the Hurst Out brigade it's all a bit sour and I think anyone who doubted the team should be ashamed of themselves.

I would definately advise anyone to listen to the match again post Sunday to realise how wrong many were

For balance......i would argue that there was no knee jerk reaction to the first leg defeat...the calls at that point by and large (and i concede that there are some that just want him out whatever) where as a result of the clear dip in performances and what where, to all on lookers, some odd team selections over the previous 10/11 games....we appeared to be sliding aimlessly down the top 5 and badly limping into the play off's...play off's heighten the emotions and the current form at that time, our previous record and inability to score against Braintree only pointed one way.
That to me prompted some of the OTT reactions after the Braintree defeat...i thought we were doomed....i had no or little faith that we would turn it around, i am not ashamed of that, it was an opinion formed out of what was showing in front of me.
I was at least pleased he changed the line up for the second leg, AT LAST, i thought, something different....and then again the right subs at the right time ( for probably only the second or third time across the season) to change again and swing the tie completely.

Hursts radio personality does come across as a bit dour or in his own words "boring", but if you watch the video interviews of him and alot of the times he has a little wry smile on his face, he has a dry sense of humour IMO which doesnt necessarily work on the radio. He has also kept his emotions in check for the most part, motionless on the sidelines, arms folded... until Braintree and then again on Sunday and his post Sunday interviews have shown his passion and his hurt.

Its easy to say in hindsight we should have kept faith, shouldnt have doubted it etc but i think there was enough evidence to doubt it prior to the second leg.

All history now and hopefully we all can wipe the slate clean, the guy has delivered on operation promotion, we are football league fans now !! Chapter 1 ; GTFC The non league years complete....Chapter 2 ..???

UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 65
GTFCNiles
May 17, 2016, 3:37pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +42
Gold Stars: 6
Relax, haven't you heard? We've been promoted!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 65
MuddyWaters
May 17, 2016, 3:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from moosey_club

For balance......i would argue that there was no knee jerk reaction to the first leg defeat...the calls at that point by and large (and i concede that there are some that just want him out whatever) where as a result of the clear dip in performances and what where, to all on lookers, some odd team selections over the previous 10/11 games....we appeared to be sliding aimlessly down the top 5 and badly limping into the play off's...play off's heighten the emotions and the current form at that time, our previous record and inability to score against Braintree only pointed one way.
That to me prompted some of the OTT reactions after the Braintree defeat...i thought we were doomed....i had no or little faith that we would turn it around, i am not ashamed of that, it was an opinion formed out of what was showing in front of me.
I was at least pleased he changed the line up for the second leg, AT LAST, i thought, something different....and then again the right subs at the right time ( for probably only the second or third time across the season) to change again and swing the tie completely.

Hursts radio personality does come across as a bit dour or in his own words "boring", but if you watch the video interviews of him and alot of the times he has a little wry smile on his face, he has a dry sense of humour IMO which doesnt necessarily work on the radio. He has also kept his emotions in check for the most part, motionless on the sidelines, arms folded... until Braintree and then again on Sunday and his post Sunday interviews have shown his passion and his hurt.

Its easy to say in hindsight we should have kept faith, shouldnt have doubted it etc but i think there was enough evidence to doubt it prior to the second leg.

All history now and hopefully we all can wipe the slate clean, the guy has delivered on operation promotion, we are football league fans now !! Chapter 1 ; GTFC The non league years complete....Chapter 2 ..???

UTM

I admit that my opinion was wrong but I'm not apologising for having an opinion on a public forum. As moosey says, PH does come across as a dour, maybe boring, character but Matt Dean's superb interview opens up a whole new Paul Hurst to me - he's shown more emotion in the last 9 days than he has in 5 years and made himself more admirers by doing so (albeit it's easier when you've won something!)
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 65
cmackenzie4
May 17, 2016, 3:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Why does this have to be brought up again and again? People doubted Paul would get us promoted but he did, from what I can see posters who did doubt Paul would get us promoted have openly come on here and admitted they got it wrong and praised him for the win so surely we should now all concentrate on Sunday and for next season.FFS

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 65
jonnyboy82
May 17, 2016, 3:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
We were going into our sixth season of non league with this being the straight fourth under him in the playoffs and we had failed every single time under him..

The negativity of a poor run going into the playoffs this year along with remarks from him after halifax nightmare meant there would naturally be doubters.

Abuse and the banners were totally out of order but if going over and over about the players did it this year because of the negativity of the fans is all well and good but lets remember these fans were used to failure and always failing so it would be natural for the feel to be one of intrepedation.

And if the manager now will keep digging away at fans at every interview about how the minority of fans doubted him is all well and good but how about a shout out for the ones who followed him to barrow or dover season on season.

I really think he has done a fantastic job now and i held my hands up by saying i got it wrong by thinking he couldnt do it but i am not going to sit back while he or the players keep slagging off as its the fans negativity as to why we got promotion this year not the fact we put money together as a whole to help him again this season or the near 2,000 that followed him to halifax.

99% of our fans are excellent so its time he and the players started saying they are the reason we got promoted not keep digging away at the fans or players putting message screenshots up on twitter as a reason we did it this year.

Yes paul you finally got the promotion but how about we start building a stronger relationship rather than chipping away at the not very strong one you already have with the fans.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 65
pontoonlew
May 17, 2016, 4:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,994
Gold Stars: 171
Sick of all this 'we were right all along' brigade coming out in true force trying to take away any enjoyment from the people who posted criticism over the years. From what I saw on here and at games almost never contained 'abuse' it was frustration born out of expectation. That doesn't mean you come out the woodwork now the objective has been achieved and claim people who did air their views are somehow less entitled to celebrate than others. It's flipping boring, enjoy it ffs.

Also, racism at Halifax? Either find some evidence or delete it, it's one thing parading round about how right you were but it's all together another damaging the reputation of our fans based on unfounded speculation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 65
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Overwhelming feeling of anger

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.