5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
May 17, 2016, 9:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
PH comes across differently here to every other interview I have seen with him you can tell how much he cares and you can see he has been hurt by some of our comments.PH has turned a corner past 2 weeks with the vast majority of fans who were critical and lets all get behind him and this team because it`s the best this Club has felt in over a decade.Well done Paul and UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
grimsby pete
May 17, 2016, 9:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Paul is a top man and a top manager,

I sat on the fence for a long time wondering if he was the one to take us up,

Towards the end of the season I fell off and wanted him out,

How wrong was I ?

I am sorry Paul I hope none of my comments were rude or personal ( I don't think they were )

I am fully behind you now as a manager and as a top man,

You have only got to do one thing for me now and that is,

We must never ever get relegated to none league again,

Do that I will back you 100%

Enjoy your family holiday mate,

Just win again at Wembley next Sunday before you go.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
GrimRob
May 17, 2016, 9:38am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
He's come on in leaps and bounds in the last six years. Every season has seen an improvement on the previous one. He has become a cult figure here. We've got a 30+ goal scorer in the team, normally he'd take the limelight, but the manager at the moment dominates every discussion and has done for months.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 42
ginnywings
May 17, 2016, 9:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Perhaps, just perhaps, the criticism of the players and manager was the catalyst to them getting over the line. It has been mentioned several times by them that they wanted to prove the doubters wrong. Although there may have been some over the top comments by a minority on social media and at games; most of it was well meaning concern and not all criticism is necessarily negative by nature. It came from a place of genuine concern for many that we had to get out of this league before it got even harder to do so and yes, looking at that interview, you can see it got to PH and as he pointed out, it's not as easy as some think to go and beat teams just because they don't have the history and tradition that we do. Some of us may have lost sight of that fact but i am happy that at no point did i abuse the players or management at games and can honestly say that i missed only a handful of home games in our 6 year tenure in non league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
diehardmariner
May 17, 2016, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,066
Gold Stars: 518
Hurst comes across a bit more human like here, something I think it's fair to say he struggles with a little.  He definitely doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve.  Now be that right or wrong, it's something a lot of people can relate to.  I wonder how much of this is down to the interviewer.

Matt Dean asks the right questions in the right way.  He's not trying to Paxman anyone but he's not trying to pander to them either.  He asks very honest and very direct questions, but in a way that allows Hurst to open up.

Clearly Hurst gets wound up by JT, I don't know why but he does.  He probably needs to rise above it.   JT's interviewing style is very different.  He asks a lot of closed questions that you know have a bit of an edge to them but the actual question is never asked.  This could be what winds Hurst up, he then ends up ranting and getting a bit negative after the same closed question has been asked countless times.

Matt Dean is a superb interviewer, genuinely superb.

What Matt Dean has done in this interview is opened the questions up to give Hurst that room to express his answers, not just respond with a Yes/No answer.  I think Hurst probably appreciates this rather than JT's approach.  

The other element is Hurst's mood.  1) He's just won promotion.  2) He's already had chance to get a lot of stuff off his chest in interviews a few minutes before.    Just think to when Town lose, you get in and the other half asks if it was a good game....  Lose - "Nope, rubbish...."  Win - "Yeah it was great, blah blah blah then Disley did this..."  Hurst will be the same, he's on a high so is more open.

I'm more concerned with results on the pitch but Hurst has managed to frustrate me over the last 4 years with his interviews and comments.  I do think he may benefit from a bit of media coaching.  Like it or not, speaking with the media is an essential part of football.   Anything that will take pressure off and keep fans on board is a good thing.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
DavidB
May 17, 2016, 10:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
"Paul (Hurst) is certainly one of the best managers I've worked with in my career. "I'm not just saying that because he led us to victory at Wembley, either! "He's straight, honest, works incredibly hard and most importantly he has got the club's best interests at heart."

Gregor Robertson in today's Telegraph:http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Robertson-hails-deserving-Hurst/story-29279440-detail/story.html

Add to that Paul's comments in his interview with John Tondeur on Sunday that it's all about people; and consider also how much emphasis he has placed on building a committed, hard-working and 'together' squad (including changing personnel at key times). And his post-match analyses are fair and objective (even if it's not always what people want to hear).

There's a quiet depth to the man, and honest values, as well as footballing knowledge, that I respect far more than any animated arm-waving or bullish statements associated with some other styles of management. All credit to Matt Dean for an excellent interview that showed us a glimpse of this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
grimsby pete
May 17, 2016, 10:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from DavidB
"Paul (Hurst) is certainly one of the best managers I've worked with in my career. "I'm not just saying that because he led us to victory at Wembley, either! "He's straight, honest, works incredibly hard and most importantly he has got the club's best interests at heart."

Gregor Robertson in today's Telegraph:http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Robertson-hails-deserving-Hurst/story-29279440-detail/story.html

They missed the bit out where Gregor says " can I have a new contract please Paul "  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Maringer
May 17, 2016, 10:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Les Brechin

Amended for you Ron!

Perhaps a little ambitious hoping for the title? I'd accept third place.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
mariner91
May 17, 2016, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,246
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from DavidB

There's a quiet depth to the man, and honest values, as well as footballing knowledge, that I respect far more than any animated arm-waving or bullish statements associated with some other styles of management. All credit to Matt Dean for an excellent interview that showed us a glimpse of this.

Agree 100%. He's clearly a very genuine bloke and although he doesn't always show it, the reactions in the last two weeks show he cares as much as any Neil Warnock types who shout for 90 minutes. You only have to look at the way the players flocked to him on Sunday and at Braintree to see how much they like and respect him. I hope nobody ever questions his commitment or passion for this club ever again. If they do, I'm going to send them a link to the vine showing his celebration at Braintree.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
Rodley Mariner
May 17, 2016, 11:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from ginnywings
Perhaps, just perhaps, the criticism of the players and manager was the catalyst to them getting over the line. It has been mentioned several times by them that they wanted to prove the doubters wrong. Although there may have been some over the top comments by a minority on social media and at games; most of it was well meaning concern and not all criticism is necessarily negative by nature. It came from a place of genuine concern for many that we had to get out of this league before it got even harder to do so and yes, looking at that interview, you can see it got to PH and as he pointed out, it's not as easy as some think to go and beat teams just because they don't have the history and tradition that we do. Some of us may have lost sight of that fact but i am happy that at no point did i abuse the players or management at games and can honestly say that i missed only a handful of home games in our 6 year tenure in non league.

I wonder if they've really used it in the dressing room to motivate themselves and that's why we got some of the reaction we did on Sunday. Woudln't be the first manager to successfully create a siege mentality and maybe to the point that in their heads it became a bit overblown and more than it was. Who cares because if they did it worked?!

I do think it's really easy to forget or ignore what a difficult, stressful job it must be. Most of us at some point have worried about redundancy or unemployment, paying the mortgage, looking after the family. Imagine having that pressure under some kind of public gaze, with some people vocally wanting you to lose your job and saying you're incompetent. I know it comes with the job and I know it sounds easy when we say they shouldn't read social media but I think I'd struggle not to. What about if your kids read it as well or other family members? Then to top it all off you read people saying you don't care or you're not bothered when in reality it must be pretty all-consuming. You drive into work and somebody has hung a banner across the motorway saying you should be sacked and you know that all of your staff who you desperately want to believe in you are going to see it? It's certainly not a Monday to Friday, 9-5, switch off when you walk out of the office job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Matt Dean - Paul Hurst interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.