Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › labour council unable to make a decision shock!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

labour council unable to make a decision shock!

This thread currently has 21,827 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
November 18, 2015, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,195
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from WetFlannel
Andrew DeFreitas could sign for us, score the winner to get us promoted, cure cancer after the end of the season and then headbutt David Cameron in the balls and I'd still think he was a grade A cockmuncher.

If you sit on that fence much longer you will get splinters..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 110
ROKERITE
November 18, 2015, 7:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Shame it's not a tory council as they could have been bribed into approving it

Really? Nearly all the corrupt councillors I've ever heard of have been Labour ones, though I'm sure you'll find them in all parties. But then I go back a long way, to the days of Andrew Cunningham and T. Dan Smith.
Perhaps the council could get their national leader to help them make up their mind, he's shown just how decisive he is in the last few days.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 110
Rob_in_Grimsby
November 18, 2015, 7:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from diehardmariner
Said this before, the Freeman Street option ticks more boxes than anywhere else for me.  It's central, has better transport links than the other options and will rejuvenate an area that badly needs it.  I think the final point is the one that will sway the decision and I wouldn't at all be surprised if this is already the 'agreed' site.

With regards Cleethorpes as a location.  I can only think of two areas of land anywhere near big enough to accommodate the proposed development.  One is the area opposite Meridian Point including the golf course.  The finances involved in this would be phenomenal due to the location, it would eat into the Country Park which makes it an absolute no-no, not even starting on the transport issues...can you imagine a Bank Holiday fixture with a bumper gate?

The other is the area at the back of Humberston Avenue going towards Tetney....I'll just leave that one there for laughs.

I do wonder if any neighbouring councils have had conversations with the club about potential land for a new stadium.  Thinking more of our local authority neighbours to the south than those to the west.  

Freeman St may be the right location for a few reasons over the others  BUT it will never happen there as the club can not afford to build the new ground without an enabling development, No new retailer is going to move down freeman st, With all the empty shops that are already there they would have done it by now.

The site Location has to be desirable to Anchor tenants and not just GTFC . Freeman st, the docks and Morisons sites would not bring fresh retailers running.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 110
Mrs Doyle
November 18, 2015, 7:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Freemo looks a really good location aesthetically with the dock tower in the back ground. Freemo has had a face lift and seems to be on the up a new retail outlet would complete the fix. Only problem I can see is Freshney place developers would fight tooth and nail to stop this happening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 110
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2015, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Freeman St may be the right location for a few reasons over the others  BUT it will never happen there as the club can not afford to build the new ground without an enabling development, No new retailer is going to move down freeman st, With all the empty shops that are already there they would have done it by now.

The site Location has to be desirable to Anchor tenants and not just GTFC . Freeman st, the docks and Morisons sites would not bring fresh retailers running.

The enabling development bit will probably be the key, isn't Europarc too commercial/industrial for anything of that type to happen there? I mentioned Waltham Airfield in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way earlier but thinking on, it is a big enough area to create new infrastructure around a ground, does anyone know who it belongs to?
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 110
rancido
November 18, 2015, 7:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from barralad

Have you even bothered to read the article?

There are several councillors from across the political spectrum who are season ticket holders at B.P. and who are fully supportive of the need/plans for a new stadium. The decision of the sighting of the new stadium will be one of the most important decisions made by the council in memory. There are huge decisions around infra-structure etc. to be considered.  If you think that over such a decision the council splits on party lines you are massively out of touch. The council (probably quite rightly) had its knuckles rapped over the decision to close Scartho Baths etc. They are hardly likely to want to make the same mistakes.

Having said all of that I do wish they would get to the decision as quickly as possible-Far too much time has passed already

But surely by being season-ticket holders they are classed as having " a vested interest " and as such would be prohibited from voting on any decisions as regards the siting of the ground ?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 110
HackneyHaddock
November 18, 2015, 8:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
If Freeman Street truly is viable and the council will back it and the money is there, then let's do it.  As has been said, it's a central location, will enable some regeneration of a dilapidated area, is well-connected for transport (loads of bus-routes, close to the town centre and a rail station nearby).  

Out-of-town stadiums are so early 90s; you'd never put a theatre or art gallery in the middle of an industrial estate on the outskirts of town.  City-centre stadiums, within walking and biking distance of homes and transport connections, can be part of re-making urban areas into something more compact and liveable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 110
sonik
November 18, 2015, 8:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
If Freeman Street truly is viable and the council will back it and the money is there, then let's do it.  As has been said, it's a central location, will enable some regeneration of a dilapidated area, is well-connected for transport (loads of bus-routes, close to the town centre and a rail station nearby).  

Out-of-town stadiums are so early 90s; you'd never put a theatre or art gallery in the middle of an industrial estate on the outskirts of town.  City-centre stadiums, within walking and biking distance of homes and transport connections, can be part of re-making urban areas into something more compact and liveable.

Peaks Parkway is central. Not Freeman Street! We need this now not in 10 to 15 years. Typical stalling Council.

UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 110
ackomariner
November 18, 2015, 8:59pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The enabling development bit will probably be the key, isn't Europarc too commercial/industrial for anything of that type to happen there? I mentioned Waltham Airfield in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way earlier but thinking on, it is a big enough area to create new infrastructure around a ground, does anyone know who it belongs to?

It belongs to a farmer who my old gaffer rents a lockup off.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 110
ackomariner
November 18, 2015, 9:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from sonik

Peaks Parkway is central. Not Freeman Street! We need this now not in 10 to 15 years. Typical stalling Council.

UTM!

And the only place for it IMO.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › labour council unable to make a decision shock!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.