Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › labour council unable to make a decision shock!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

labour council unable to make a decision shock!

This thread currently has 21,829 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
acko338
November 17, 2015, 2:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
What happens if the Council shut down options to THEIR favourite site, with conditions could well be laid down for any support given, not GTFC's???

Is there any funding available to bid for, other than stadia development funds and whoever comes in as the commercial partners?

Just as a thought, would a major re-development of Freeman Street generate any public / EEC funding to include the building of the ground, linking out to local businesses, and using as many as four entry / exit routes as well as public transport around all sides of any developed football pitch?

Could the ground then hold any concerts, or other major events, that would bring in long term cash? - would that be feasible at any other of the venues on the council short listing?

Don't any of the local green energy partners want to come in and use the new ground (wherever) as a local advertisement for their services - a la Forest Green and eco energy?

Just make sure that the floodlights are on a very large UPS system !!

The major partner could be the sticking point for their logistical needs !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 110
Mrbump53
November 17, 2015, 2:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
From what I understand in relation to the docks is that ABP are reluctant to sell the land due to its own plans for development opportunities or selling it at a premium.

Europarc is too remote to be viable as a community stadium due to poor transportation (no buses or trains) nearby and it is classed as industrial use. In addition the proximity of COMAH sites could be an issue.

Freeman street is the "council" favourate due to regeneration monies that the council could get and it is the pet project of a tory councillor hence the reason to keep it in despite it only being 14th best) However, the location means that only a stadium could be built and car parking could be restricted (the remit of the study was to have parking for 2000 cars and coaches)  Also transportation issues around the area could cause a problem (single carriageways already experiencing congestion at times during the day).

The problems with Great Coates are still there from previous feasibility studies which ruled it out before and you will have potential transport issues as nearly everyone will be travelling out to the area prior to the match and into the town after on a roads not designed for that flow (as a lot of people know every weekday travelling out and into Grimsby). It states in the report the site access is not suitable.

Peaks parkway is not the ideal location but it does offer a true community stadium with additonal community resources which are needed. Traffic is still a problem but the flow does have the opportunity to be in different directions (i.e. south of Grimsby for some and further into town there are a number of routes offered to split up the traffic). The report also rates the site access as "excellent potential" and good car and train (?!) access.

Just need a flipping decision from the council not delays!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 110
Neilo83
November 17, 2015, 2:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
What happened to Peaks Parkway?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 110
barralad
November 17, 2015, 2:59pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Neilo83
What happened to Peaks Parkway?

It is on the list...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 110
scrumble
November 17, 2015, 3:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
The one of the main reasons great Coates dragged on so long was it's proximity to the number bank chemical works. How is moving it right next door on the europarc going to work?

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 110
excusebeef
November 17, 2015, 4:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
Interesting to see that all the sites fall short of the acres required for the full development plan by the club. Even the golf course is short of the required amount. I wonder what "other sites" the club were thinking of regarding possible expansion opportunities for the Peaks Parkway site?

Of all the recommendations, I would love to have seen a stadium just off Freshney Place across the river. A town centre stadium would be awesome. Like a smaller version of the millenium stadium. The town centre would be buzzing before and after the games. However the site's too small and unviable for expansion.

In terms of regeneration then the dock area would be my next preference to give the whole place a face lift.

But having seen the plans, the most viable is indeed Peaks Parkway by the looks of it. Seems like the club have indeed done their homework!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 110
Chrisblor
November 17, 2015, 4:24pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,757
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from scrumble
The one of the main reasons great Coates dragged on so long was it's proximity to the number bank chemical works. How is moving it right next door on the europarc going to work?

I believe there was also an issue related to a level crossing near the Great Cotes site - Network Rail would require the club to foot the £3 million quid bill for upgrading it which obviously isn't feasible. It's a non-starter and i'll be disappointed (but ultimately unsurprised) if any councillors try and push it as a location. Europarc too since it's bloody miles away from everywhere.

In an ideal world where we had money to throw at the project the location between Freshney Place and the Heritage Centre would be fantastic, but given that we're reliant on a supermarket / housing as an enabling development it's a non-starter.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 110
arryarryarry
November 17, 2015, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from barralad

And, the inescapable (but possibly for many inconvenient) fact is that he is right. We've seen the club post another loss albeit significantly down on last years due to Wembley etc. Such a position cannot continue indefinitely on the basis of one mans money continuing to prop up the club. When people glibly talk about cutting our cloth more appropriately they need to understand what that means in the context of modern football finance. It is my opinion that it would mean a final goodbye to hopes of getting out of this league if by some unfortunate occurence we weren't successful this season. There also has to some understanding of the need for a facility that earns GTFC money seven days a week-not only on match days and the odd occasion when someone wants to hold a function at McMenemy's. Far too much time has been wasted already. I've seen no end of references on here over time to Paul Hurst's alleged lack of a "Plan B". To throw all of our hopes into getting back into the Football League on the promise that to do so would supposedly see our reliance on John Fenty suddenly evaporate would be supreme folly. I'd be very interested (perhaps Chaos can help?) in how and why York came to the conclusion that Bootham Crescent with its city centre situation wasn't the way forward for them...

Has this been confirmed, will income from the stadium on non match days be used to fund GTFC considering we wont own the stadium?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 110
Mrs Doyle
November 17, 2015, 4:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Peaks parkway would be grid locked on match days especially Saturdays with Freshney place traffic and NO I don't live around here just stating a fact of how it is now.

Freemo could really be a winner if it was done properly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 110
bradzmilne
November 17, 2015, 4:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,381
Gold Stars: 29
The sad reality is that if we ever do get to the point of building a new ground it won't be in town. I'm nigh certain of that. To much objection (can't even call it NIMBYISM because of the total objection of our football club from some of our local residents).
I do wonder how much money we've thrown at our redevelopment plans over the years - I'm sure that is an eye watering amount.
Since moving away from Grimsby/Cleethorpes you do realise why our home town is in such a dire state. I love Grimsby to the absolute bottom of my heart but the reality is its stuck 25 years in the past. In my honest opinion, the best way of trying to get out of this rut is by sticking firm with renewable energy and getting a new multi use sports stadium. Admittedly that would only be the tip of the iceberg but it would be a start. However, too many people are happy to sit with the town as it is now and watch it fall further and further behind modern day England.
We'll see anyway, I'll put good money on the fact we will still be at BP in 10/15/20 years time.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › labour council unable to make a decision shock!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.