8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 1, 2015, 6:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
The crass statement when people say we are 'on an unbeaten run' is the one that gets me. Draw 6 games and it's all rosy but winning 3 and losing 3 is 3 more points! Am not saying we should go gung-ho every game but, it seems at times (comments from Fridays fall out) that people are more often than not satisfied with a point.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
ginnywings
November 1, 2015, 7:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
The crass statement when people say we are 'on an unbeaten run' is the one that gets me. Draw 6 games and it's all rosy but winning 3 and losing 3 is 3 more points! Am not saying we should go gung-ho every game but, it seems at times (comments from Fridays fall out) that people are more often than not satisfied with a point.

Draws are a waste of time to title winning chances. 9 draws= 9 points.

3 wins, 6 defeats= 9 points also, yet 9 unbeaten is bandied about as a victory of sorts. It isn't.

See Neil Woods.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
cmackenzie4
November 1, 2015, 10:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ginnywings
Before today, FGR had won 3 and lost 5 of their last 10 games, yet we are still 8 points behind them. When you smell blood, you have to kill. We invariably don't.

This in bucket loads!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 1, 2015, 12:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
When we beat Crawley away in our first ever game in this illustrious division I remember that Evans was interview afterwards. He said that he wasn't worried. Grimsby were a big club. If his side beat all the teams they should beat they would be promoted. They did.

The context is exactly the same. Losing to Cheltenham would still have been a disappointment if we had all those lost points from all those draws in games we should have won. But losing to Cheltenham would not have felt so threatening to our promotion hopes as it does now.

Does anyone else feel this - the manager is too easily satisfied? We are heading for another play off lottery at best and I think that is the manager's aim. Of course he would love to win the title but for him the play offs is a realistic aim. For me it isn't. This squad could win the title if it performs consistently with the conviction we have seen in some parts of some games and if it beats the teams we ought to beat.

Let's face it, Cheltenham were a good workmanlike team but certainly not better than Town man for man. The same applies to all the "top" sides we have played. Nobody has looked class or had players that really stood out as better than the division. So when this inconsistency happens it is down to the manager to iron it out.

He will try. But my bet is we will see him do it with another loan striker and Bogle/Amold on the bench again. He will not try to get us going as a steamroller outfit, just as a workmanlike one that shades enough results to make 5th place and if we are lucky a bit higher. That is his realism at work.

But football isn't just about realism and budgets. If it was, would we see the likes of Dover up above us? Would Wimbledon ever have won the cup?  This club would never have been up there in the old Div 2 not so very long ago if realism was the only criterion. Of course it takes some determination and character to convince a team that it can beat anyone and there are risks.

Football is just as much about belief and teamwork and a team will reflect its manager's attitudes. That is what we are seeing out there on the park. Good football at times, pressing football as well for parts of games, but no real belief on the bench that taking the game to the opposition will take us where we want to be.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
Rik e B
November 1, 2015, 12:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
^ Thought provoking post Ron
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
HertsGTFC
November 1, 2015, 4:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
When we beat Crawley away in our first ever game in this illustrious division I remember that Evans was interview afterwards. He said that he wasn't worried. Grimsby were a big club. If his side beat all the teams they should beat they would be promoted. They did.

The context is exactly the same. Losing to Cheltenham would still have been a disappointment if we had all those lost points from all those draws in games we should have won. But losing to Cheltenham would not have felt so threatening to our promotion hopes as it does now.

Does anyone else feel this - the manager is too easily satisfied? We are heading for another play off lottery at best and I think that is the manager's aim. Of course he would love to win the title but for him the play offs is a realistic aim. For me it isn't. This squad could win the title if it performs consistently with the conviction we have seen in some parts of some games and if it beats the teams we ought to beat.

Let's face it, Cheltenham were a good workmanlike team but certainly not better than Town man for man. The same applies to all the "top" sides we have played. Nobody has looked class or had players that really stood out as better than the division. So when this inconsistency happens it is down to the manager to iron it out.

He will try. But my bet is we will see him do it with another loan striker and Bogle/Amold on the bench again. He will not try to get us going as a steamroller outfit, just as a workmanlike one that shades enough results to make 5th place and if we are lucky a bit higher. That is his realism at work.

But football isn't just about realism and budgets. If it was, would we see the likes of Dover up above us? Would Wimbledon ever have won the cup?  This club would never have been up there in the old Div 2 not so very long ago if realism was the only criterion. Of course it takes some determination and character to convince a team that it can beat anyone and there are risks.

Football is just as much about belief and teamwork and a team will reflect its manager's attitudes. That is what we are seeing out there on the park. Good football at times, pressing football as well for parts of games, but no real belief on the bench that taking the game to the opposition will take us where we want to be.

Never before since we have been in this league as a manager had a squad with this (relative) quality, But we are predictable if you play the ball off the ground against us it destroys our tempo and any pattern of play  We only have a plan A, sit too deep and don't press the ball consistently. We have pace outside but all too often promising positions result in poor delivery to a lack of numbers in the box We are also poor at set pieces.

The manager insists on playing people out of position whilst a good player who can play in that role sits on the bench. Additionally we import loans and they are picked ahead of signed players??? Loans should be brought in as a last resort in my view. When we are up against it we don't change things until 70 mins if at all, only once can I remember PH changing personnel at half time.

All of which suggests that the manager is over complicating things which in turn could generate a lack of belief when we need it most.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
chaos33
November 1, 2015, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Sums it up really well RRFC.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
WetFlannel
November 1, 2015, 4:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
I always say we have an amazing fan base that deserves the football league... It's hard for me to still think that after seeing the entitled, arrogant views of people on here recently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
chaos33
November 1, 2015, 4:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I don't understand that reaction at all. What's your position then mate? What do you think?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
ackomariner
November 1, 2015, 5:00pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from WetFlannel
I always say we have an amazing fan base that deserves the football league... It's hard for me to still think that after seeing the entitled, arrogant views of people on here recently.

Just a shame we haven't got the manager to deliver it....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Save OUR Season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.