8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 31, 2015, 6:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Before today, FGR had won 3 and lost 5 of their last 10 games, yet we are still 8 points behind them. When you smell blood, you have to kill. We invariably don't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
lee65
October 31, 2015, 7:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10

Optimism is why we all turn up every week I get that but the reality is that in the last 3 seasons at least nothing has really changed you could have predicted last night at 6pm....... cameras, big gate, decent start, decision goes against us, faded and lost shape, opposition nick a goal that looked like it was coming for 10 mins before, subs put on too late, 5000ish go home disappointed.      

Great comment, very succinct;

This is so true, it's like Groundhog Day, but it's not just a day, it seems to be lasting forever!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
GrimRob
October 31, 2015, 8:12pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Rob, I am not writing them off but 8 points behind the leaders with 40+% of the games gone does not look good, don't lose sight of the fact that there is only one automatic place, do you want another play off lottery?  

Admittedly like most seasons in this league I can see the likes of Bromley and Dover etc.. dropping off and I am sure we will be there or there about's but I don't think it's too much of an expectation to be if nothing else breathing down the necks of the top 2.  

Optimism is why we all turn up every week I get that but the reality is that in the last 3 seasons at least nothing has really changed you could have predicted last night at 6pm....... cameras, big gate, decent start, decision goes against us, faded and lost shape, opposition nick a goal that looked like it was coming for 10 mins before, subs put on too late, 5000ish go home disappointed.      

8 points is nothing at  this stage and reaching the play-offs is an acheivement for us in any season when there are teams with bigger budgets than us in the division which as ever is the case this season.

There's been plenty of cases when people go home happy, we've lost very few games at BP in 2015, I can't be bothered to work out how many, but it's not many.It's selective memory to say we always fail! We wouldn't be playing if front of record crowds at this level this season (and far higher than before PH came) if everyone wasn't more or less happy. I can't remember many spells when we have challenged at the right end of the table for so many consecutive years, we've picked up a whole new generation of supporters as a result of the relative success of the last few years..

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 70
stevethefish
October 31, 2015, 8:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
We have lost 3 games. To suggest sacking the manager based on this is extremely harsh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
ackomariner
October 31, 2015, 8:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GrimRob

8 points is nothing at  this stage and reaching the play-offs is an acheivement for us in any season when there are teams with bigger budgets than us in the division which as ever is the case this season.

There's been plenty of cases when people go home happy, we've lost very few games at BP in 2015, I can't be bothered to work out how many, but it's not many.It's selective memory to say we always fail! We wouldn't be playing if front of record crowds at this level this season (and far higher than before PH came) if everyone wasn't more or less happy. I can't remember many spells when we have challenged at the right end of the table for so many consecutive years, we've picked up a whole new generation of supporters as a result of the relative success of the last few years..

Post like this are why Fenty won't get rid of Hurst...... Acceptance is a dangerous precedent

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
barralad
October 31, 2015, 9:43pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ackomariner

Post like this are why Fenty won't get rid of Hurst...... Acceptance is a dangerous precedent

But Rob will sleep at night....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2015, 9:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from GrimRob

Agree with that to an extent defiantly about the new generation of supporters, which is good to see. Oh and by the way I don't think I posted anything along the lines of "we always fail" but recent history tells us we miss the dual opportunity of beating promotion rival and advancing up to the top 2/3 positions at the same time. I think Cambridge away on a Tuesday night was the last time we achieved that double whammy.

"Record crowds at this level this season" o.k. and more season ticket sales than in the last few years again which illustrates what we are doing off the pitch which overall is more and better than ever before. The initiatives to engage fans young and old have been brilliant and possibly never been seen since the players used to train at local comprehensives (I went to Havelock and they did that a few times there)  and John Newman and Alec King used to visit Junior Schools to do Q&A's with kids which they did when I was a 12 year old at Edward St.

But and this is a "big but" we may not have the biggest budget but we have a good squad and a manager learning his trade what we need to get out of this league is a good squad and a manager who knows his trade..........PH is a really good guy with a great eye for a player but maybe he should follow the  example of Steve Croudson who went to a big club (ouch that hurts) to further his coaching career.  

Off the pitch as Orphan Boy sang "now is our time" on the pitch it feels like it's always next week/month/season..........what does that suggest?      

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
ackomariner
October 31, 2015, 9:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from barralad

But Rob will sleep at night....

Only if the bookies have him as second favourites  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
friskneymariner
October 31, 2015, 9:58pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
I really think to be champions you not just have to have a good team  you have to have a winning mentality,that is nothing short of a win is goon enough,sadly this is not present and to say we are only 8 points behind is not the attitude of champions. Perhaps there is too much acceptance of mediocrity,could be what Rob Scott was hinting at.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
barralad
October 31, 2015, 10:07pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from ackomariner

Only if the bookies have him as second favourites  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Save OUR Season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.