8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
October 31, 2015, 1:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Bored of it all now tbh , the club the manager the excrement league.

Nowts gonna happen as much as i would like it too so lets all stay bored together  

Im resigned to another 10 game unbeaten run with 6 draws and then come unstuck to a better team with a better manager.

Repeat repeat.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 31, 2015, 2:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

Of course you are right. I detest it when we lose, but it could easily have gone our way - especially if the penalty had been given. We were the better team for long periods of the first half but I was shocked how we couldn't raise our game when they scored.

There is a long way to go yet; I think we all agree there are no outstanding teams this year (including us sadly) and if we get to the play offs we could make it this time.

It always seems the end of the world when you lose an important match, but unless we start plummeting down the table we will have to regroup and get on with it.

What other choice is there than to cry in your beer? Nothing will happen, the manager has JF's support and in any case there is nobody else apart from Doig as caretaker at least. We might think this manager is failing the team and the supporters, some of us are pretty certain of it,  but all we can do is stick out our lower lip and sulk.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
GrimRob
October 31, 2015, 3:39pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Civvy at last

You are very much a betting man Rob. Given your posts on here could you then tell us if you have had a large bet ( by your standards) on Town going up ?

I did I have £150 on us at the start of the season to win the league. After our poor start I was offered to cash most of it back at a small profit after about three games so it seemed to good an offer to turn down. Since then I have put relatively small bets on a few other sides, so I have positions on Chetlenham, Eastleigh and Tranmere, plus some of the pre-season bet on us left. I still think Cheltenham are probably the best bet out of the top four favourites, Eastleigh I think are a good outside bet. I don't fancy us at the odds quoted, but I am not a favourite backer by nature I tend to go for outsiders.

I do think though it's a good idea to step back and look at the betting odds for the title before becoming too despondent about the prospects for the season. The bookies look objectively at all 24 clubs and consider lots of different factors when they draw up their books. Supporters look at one team, see all the problems that any side has, and virtually ignore the other 23. Yes I know the price is also market driven but a lot of the serious money probably comes from indiviuals who have also looked objectively at the remainider of the season as a whole. Realistically there's probably a group of about six teams two of who will get promoted and we're one of them.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 70
PPMariner
October 31, 2015, 4:11pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GrimRob

I did I have £150 on us at the start of the season to win the league. After our poor start I was offered to cash most of it back at a small profit after about three games so it seemed to good an offer to turn down. Since then I have put relatively small bets on a few other sides, so I have positions on Chetlenham, Eastleigh and Tranmere, plus some of the pre-season bet on us left. I still think Cheltenham are probably the best bet out of the top four favourites, Eastleigh I think are a good outside bet. I don't fancy us at the odds quoted, but I am not a favourite backer by nature I tend to go for outsiders.

I do think though it's a good idea to step back and look at the betting odds for the title before becoming too despondent about the prospects for the season. The bookies look objectively at all 24 clubs and consider lots of different factors when they draw up their books. Supporters look at one team, see all the problems that any side has, and virtually ignore the other 23. Yes I know the price is also market driven but a lot of the serious money probably comes from indiviuals who have also looked objectively at the remainider of the season as a whole. Realistically there's probably a group of about six teams two of who will get promoted and we're one of them.

Whilst I think we differ quite often on things Grimsby Town - quite funny to read you've established positions on Cheltenham, Tranmere and Eastleigh just as I have jumped on the exact same three, at various points as the season has developed.

Whilst home versus Halifax isn't currently going as I might have envisaged - Eastleigh, fourth favourites pre-season, priced as low as 3/1 since season began, with a game in hand and seven points from top...were available at 23 (twenty three) to 1 yesterday on Betfair. Incredible value, I think/thought...

UTM

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
ginnywings
October 31, 2015, 4:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
According to someone on the Cheltenham forum, he got them at 4/1 to win last night, so the bookies aint always right.

Anyway, i don't give a shoite what the bookies think. I think Hurst has never endeared himself to a good chunk of our fans and never will. That's what is important to me, not what some outsider who hasn't got the emotional attachment we have thinks of our chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
PPMariner
October 31, 2015, 4:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ginnywings
According to someone on the Cheltenham forum, he got them at 4/1 to win last night, so the bookies aint always right.

Anyway, i don't give a shoite what the bookies think. I think Hurst has never endeared himself to a good chunk of our fans and never will. That's what is important to me, not what some outsider who hasn't got the emotional attachment we have thinks of our chances.

Agree, wholeheartedly, as regards Hurst and Grimsby. Probably how I usually seem to be at odds with Rob, despite perhaps occasionally enjoying the same odds as Rob  

Cheltenham were indeed 4/1 for a while on Betfair yesterday.

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2015, 5:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from GrimRob
Does our season need saving, we are second favourites to win the league and only a couple of levels behind the favourite? We are also favourites to win the play-offs. If you think the bookies have got it wrong then put your money where your mouth is and bet on us not getting promoted.

Saying our season is over now is like saying Arsenal's season is in tatters.

Sorry I don't want to sound offensive but that's complete "pony" if favourites always won bookies would give up taking bets. As of 5pm today we sit 9th 8 points behind the leaders who both after one attempt we have failed to beat.

Oh yes above us sit the likes of Dover, Bromley, Braintree amongst others. The only team above us who could be considered a "bigger club" is Wrexham and that's debatable.

So the evidence after 41% of the season having gone is that something needs saving if not just the sanity of the loyal supporters.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
GrimRob
October 31, 2015, 5:43pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Sorry I don't want to sound offensive but that's complete "pony" if favourites always won bookies would give up taking bets. As of 5pm today we sit 9th 8 points behind the leaders who both after one attempt we have failed to beat.

Oh yes above us sit the likes of Dover, Bromley, Braintree amongst others. The only team above us who could be considered a "bigger club" is Wrexham and that's debatable.

So the evidence after 41% of the season having gone is that something needs saving if not just the sanity of the loyal supporters.  

The Pos column is not that important at this stage, it's the Pts one that is. It's developing into one of the most open divisions around at the moment. Loads of teams still in .with a shout. Hard to believe that some of our so-called supporters have written us off in what promises to be a really exciting season with lots of twists and turns.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 70
ginnywings
October 31, 2015, 5:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from GrimRob

The Pos column is not that important at this stage, it's the Pts one that is. It's developing into one of the most open divisions around at the moment. Loads of teams still in .with a shout. Hard to believe that some of our so-called supporters have written us off in what promises to be a really exciting season with lots of twists and turns.

Are the sceptics not true fans then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
HertsGTFC
October 31, 2015, 5:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from GrimRob

Rob, I am not writing them off but 8 points behind the leaders with 40+% of the games gone does not look good, don't lose sight of the fact that there is only one automatic place, do you want another play off lottery?  

Admittedly like most seasons in this league I can see the likes of Bromley and Dover etc.. dropping off and I am sure we will be there or there about's but I don't think it's too much of an expectation to be if nothing else breathing down the necks of the top 2.  

Optimism is why we all turn up every week I get that but the reality is that in the last 3 seasons at least nothing has really changed you could have predicted last night at 6pm....... cameras, big gate, decent start, decision goes against us, faded and lost shape, opposition nick a goal that looked like it was coming for 10 mins before, subs put on too late, 5000ish go home disappointed.      

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Save OUR Season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.