3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
May 29, 2015, 2:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
So the midfield stays the same for the 2nd season which is great for consistency !
Logged Offline
Private Message
oldun
May 29, 2015, 2:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I was rather hoping we might have 1 new face in there, someone more physical with pace to get into the opposition box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
Neilo83
May 29, 2015, 2:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +262
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from oldun
I was rather hoping we might have 1 new face in there, someone more physical with pace to get into the opposition box.

we still might
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Bradford Mariner
May 29, 2015, 2:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
So the midfield stays the same for the 2nd season which is great for consistency !

Not if we're consistently not good enough in this area!

Still feel we're not strong enough in midfield and I fear that this will cost us again this season.

Where are the players who can control a game and create chances for the strikers?

We should be looking to recruit the best midfield players available at this level if we're going to get promoted.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
Maringer
May 29, 2015, 2:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
Yep, I agree that our lack of strength and pace in the middle of the park is a weakness at times. I know that Chandler's name has been mentioned here and there and, from what I've seen of him, he would give us the option of some much-needed pace in central midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
fiveallive
May 29, 2015, 2:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Jamie Chandler fits the bill for me i mentioned the other week i think its a good midfield (central) Disley, Brown, Clay and Chandler good mix of youth and experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
highcliff mariner
May 29, 2015, 2:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Bradford Mariner

Not if we're consistently not good enough in this area!

Still feel we're not strong enough in midfield and I fear that this will cost us again this season.

Where are the players who can control a game and create chances for the strikers?

We should be looking to recruit the best midfield players available at this level if we're going to get promoted.

UTM

So we are consistently not good enough in midfield ?  ,and lots , have said our strikers  rare not  great .
I'm fooling amazed that we got anywhere near promotion 😜
UTM
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
DocTower
May 29, 2015, 3:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from highcliff mariner

So we are consistently not good enough in midfield ?  ,and lots , have said our strikers  rare not  great .
I'm fooling amazed that we got anywhere near promotion 😜
UTM

If we are to get promotion  we have to be better than last term , better players . Stats  don't lie .  Last season is now history  .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Mighty_Mariner
May 29, 2015, 3:07pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Think Lois Maynard would have been perfect had he not signed for Tranmere! 12 goals from midfield with bags of power and creativity. Halifax's POTY and exactly the sort of players we should be aiming to sign IMO.

I have total faih in PH to bring in the required quality though!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
jimgtfc
May 29, 2015, 3:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 44
Thought our midfield last season was the best we've had for years. I'm delighted we've kept them together.  

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
gytone
May 29, 2015, 4:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,020
Gold Stars: 7
The only thing missing for me last year was goal scored and that's what the stats say, quite liked Lenny but not too fussed he has gone although all we need now is one or two goalscorers easy done  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
northbankmariner
May 29, 2015, 10:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Happy with our midfielders. All decent players, but I would like to see a right winger beat his man and cross the ball with his right foot. Not saying anything bad about mackreth, very willing and helps out the full back massively but too many times in games he tries to beat his man only to then cut inside and play weak crosses with his left peg.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
Barrattstander
May 29, 2015, 11:05pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Maringer
Yep, I agree that our lack of strength and pace in the middle of the park is a weakness at times. I know that Chandler's name has been mentioned here and there and, from what I've seen of him, he would give us the option of some much-needed pace in central midfield.

Don't think he has the physique we could do with, and the only pace he demonstrated at BP was running to the ref to remonstrate and moan about decisions, in fact he spent most of the game in the centre circle but I think he was carrying an injury.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
Stew0_0
May 30, 2015, 8:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Still think we'll sign 2 more midfielders. Another cm (chandler) and another winger
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
SamTheMariner
May 30, 2015, 10:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
A wish list would be:

A creative midfielder,

A winger who can create something out of nothing, (a slimmer, more consistent version of Scott Neilson)

Omar Bogle

Another striker.

Maybe with Lenny departing Hurst will change the way we play and utilise Mackreth and Arnold better.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
Paul62
May 30, 2015, 11:57pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +9
My very personal point of view from the limited number games I saw as an exile last season was of a midfield that played quite defensively. They sometimes appeared nearer the back four and were slow to react to loose balls particularly when looking for the lay offs from long aimless balls played forward. On a more positive note we  looked dangerous and created great chances when quick ball was played through our midfield on the floor. I think most of us would like to see more quality in midfield but I am worried we're too reliant on Disley, something I don't envisage changing next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
chaos33
May 31, 2015, 7:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Barrattstander

Don't think he has the physique we could do with, and the only pace he demonstrated at BP was running to the ref to remonstrate and moan about decisions, in fact he spent most of the game in the centre circle but I think he was carrying an injury.

This. I don't think he's a player we need.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
DocTower
May 31, 2015, 7:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Paul62
My very personal point of view from the limited number games I saw as an exile last season was of a midfield that played quite defensively. They sometimes appeared nearer the back four and were slow to react to loose balls particularly when looking for the lay offs from long aimless balls played forward. On a more positive note we  looked dangerous and created great chances when quick ball was played through our midfield on the floor. I think most of us would like to see more quality in midfield but I am worried we're too reliant on Disley, something I don't envisage changing next season.

I agree with your observations,  we know they can move the ball on the floor and be dangerous , but they are playing to order .  When I have made these comments I'm being told I'm negative . Again , Disley is in the twilight of his career , and like yourself feel we can't rely  on past performances .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
essexexile
May 31, 2015, 9:13am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
Whatever we need more goals from midfield and Dis should get in the box more often particularly as he's the best header we've got in the side Just means when he goes forward Clay or Brown has to do his job at the back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
LongEatonMariner
May 31, 2015, 9:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I footballing terms Clay should continue to develop as a central midfielder for a few years yet so we may well have that dynimism already. He certainly showed it at Wembley, tho granted that was against tired legs, but he showed more vision and drive than anyone else other than Arnold in the first twenty mins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
moosey_club
May 31, 2015, 10:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Paul62

With you on this, Hurst is defence first....i do not think this will change...thats why we have Mackreth and not Neilson, Mackreth does more defensively than he offers in attack IMO and that is why he has been offered a new deal.  Arnold didnt offer too much as a traditional winger either, he looked far more dangerous when we played in the more lopsided formation where he drifted in centrally and picked up loose balls off the front line.
With all 5 of the regular midfield being resigned then its hard to see that any of that will change for next season,it would need either a formation swap ( he tried that at the start of this season and didnt like it ) , a mindset change leaning more towards attack ( leopards dont change their spots nor zebra's their stripes ) or assuming their are still 4 first team signings left in the budget ( with Hannah, Jolley, Palmer, Paddy, Bignot and potentially Toto and Magnay wages still to spend) then the next signings will be pivotal. I personally want to see some pace, some power and some flair brought in to give us the extra dimension attacking wise.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
oldun
May 31, 2015, 10:39am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I agree and would like to see a powerful midfield player to support the attack. However, It is possible that Craig Clay will develop further next season, after not rating him when he signed, I have been really pleased with his progress and would like to see him given a good run in the starting line-up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Midfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.