This thread currently has 3,836 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
SamTheMariner
May 28, 2015, 10:59am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
I agree we should deal in 1 year contracts but with extensions so we can trigger them and either sell them, get money or keep them playing so we can get promoted.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
MuddyWaters
May 28, 2015, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from SamTheMariner
I agree we should deal in 1 year contracts but with extensions so we can trigger them and either sell them, get money or keep them playing so we can get promoted.

Will probably depend on what the players' agents are telling them. If the players sign a deal that includes an extension it may also affect the agents fees too.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
diehardmariner
May 28, 2015, 11:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,429
Gold Stars: 532
I don't believe we have only offered straight one-year deals, definitely not for the established players.

I would imagine a lot of the deals offered would be with options of additional years and/or triggers depending on appearances.  

For a lot of the players who are in demand, us offering a two/three year contract still won't be enough to compete.    If a we offer a player a two-year deal and a league club can match the length but treble the salary, we've not got a leg to stand on.

It's bloody frustrating and very disappointing but it works both ways.  We've benefited in the past when we picked up Pearson and McKeown under these circumstances.  No doubt we'll benefit in the future from it too.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Les Brechin
May 28, 2015, 2:18pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from diehardmariner
I don't believe we have only offered straight one-year deals, definitely not for the established players.

I would imagine a lot of the deals offered would be with options of additional years and/or triggers depending on appearances.  

For a lot of the players who are in demand, us offering a two/three year contract still won't be enough to compete.    If a we offer a player a two-year deal and a league club can match the length but treble the salary, we've not got a leg to stand on.

It's bloody frustrating and very disappointing but it works both ways.  We've benefited in the past when we picked up Pearson and McKeown under these circumstances.  No doubt we'll benefit in the future from it too.

I know that we have offered at least 3 of last season's squad 2-year contracts this time.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2 year contracts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.