Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Railway Engineering Jobs
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 397 Guests

Railway Engineering Jobs

This thread currently has 3,424 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
LH
May 25, 2015, 1:29pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Due to leave the RAF in October and looking to get into rail engineering. If there is anyone on here who is in the industry or knows someone etc would you mind PMing me as I have a few questions. Thanks in advance.
Private Message
cmackenzie4
May 25, 2015, 7:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
I work for the railway Leon, I work as a signaller at Grimsby Pasture Street signal box, I do know that applying for jobs has changed in regards that you have to apply for an advertised job, when I started on the railway you could hand in a cv and they would contact you if you fitted the criteria they were looking for, I would definitely recommend a career on the railway if you can get in mate.

At the moment they seem to be taking on a lot of Graduates, if you require any other info on human resources addresses etc etc let me know and I'll get back to you.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 10
grimsby pete
May 25, 2015, 7:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from LH
Due to leave the RAF in October and looking to get into rail engineering. If there is anyone on here who is in the industry or knows someone etc would you mind PMing me as I have a few questions. Thanks in advance.

Only seemed like yesterday you were joining the RAF LH,

How long have you been in the forces mate ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
LH
May 25, 2015, 9:55pm

It'll be six and a half years when I leave Pete. We were relegated to the Conference about 11 months after I joined up so hopefully next season a few months after I've left we'll be promoted back up so I don't miss the midweek home blockbusters with Accrington Stanley and Morecambe!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Marinerz93
May 26, 2015, 4:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LH
It'll be six and a half years when I leave Pete. We were relegated to the Conference about 11 months after I joined up so hopefully next season a few months after I've left we'll be promoted back up so I don't miss the midweek home blockbusters with Accrington Stanley and Morecambe!

Six and a half years, they don't make em like they used to (shakes fist)  

What was your trade again Leon?

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
LH
May 26, 2015, 4:59pm

Avionics. They don't make them like they used to but they didn't use to dump people in a hangar of civilians with no dets either. Although there's a few more reasons than the boring postings.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
chaos33
May 26, 2015, 9:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
If you don't mind me asking a few questions LH - what jets are you working on?
How old are you?

I'm a qualified Careers Adviser amongst other things, so I am happy to try to answer some of your questions if you like.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
LH
May 26, 2015, 9:16pm

Will PM you chaos.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
chaos33
May 26, 2015, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Ok mate

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
Marinerz93
May 27, 2015, 8:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LH
Avionics. They don't make them like they used to but they didn't use to dump people in a hangar of civilians with no dets either. Although there's a few more reasons than the boring postings.

Could be worse Leon, you could have been on a field squadron were shite hawks don't do the required courses for deployment so you end up only spending a fragmented 3 months a year back in the UK.

The increased civvi workers taking over uniform jobs was all about saving money, what they didn't take into account was station / section duties and deployments.  It was only going to go one way as soon as they started doing that.

The biggest problem is yet to come, and that will be skills shortage.  Training 2 years, and experience for certain trades is another 2 years.  The Forces have been at breaking point for years.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
Southwark Mariner
May 29, 2015, 12:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 81
One thing you might not have thought about is the London livery companies. I seem to end up working a lot with them and they absolutely adore forces and some of them need full-time staff. Only problem is that it tends to be London

However, I love trains and with the prospect of hs2 and crossrail2 it's not a bad industry to get your feet into.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Railway Engineering Jobs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.