moosey_club
May 25, 2015, 11:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,201
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from psgmariner
Clay looks light years ahead of Brown to me. Such a dramatic change from when both were signed. If Brown loses some weight, gets fit and finds his passing boots we may yet have a player on our hands.

you missed out ..... and has a growth spurt.....but i dont think that will happen now at his age.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
chaos33
May 25, 2015, 11:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
I agree to an extent about two year deals, but it's such a difficult balancing act in more ways than one, that the cub must really be up against it when trying to decide what to do for the best in the long term. As always - hindsight is a wonderful thing - it's easy for everyone to agree that it might have been a great idea to give the likes of Pearson and Magnay and one or two others two year deals, but these decisions have to be made ahead of that kind of assessment. Plus, in our current position, there's a world of difference in playing for us in the Conference and playing for us in the FL. Terms would always need to be reviewed in the light of a promotion. Imagine how complex that could get.

I've got a lot of symathy for the club on this one - we supporters are always going to oversimplify it. Plus, the other thing I'd say is....look at some of the recent two year deals we gave - Hannah, McLaughlin and Bignot. That worked out badly for club and players in the second year of those deals, both in terms of game time for the individuals, and VFM for the club.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
immariner
May 25, 2015, 11:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from chaos33
I agree to an extent about two year deals, but it's such a difficult balancing act in more ways than one, that the cub must really be up against it when trying to decide what to do for the best in the long term. As always - hindsight is a wonderful thing - it's easy for everyone to agree that it might have been a great idea to give the likes of Pearson and Magnay and one or two others two year deals, but these decisions have to be made ahead of that kind of assessment. Plus, in our current position, there's a world of difference in playing for us in the Conference and playing for us in the FL. Terms would always need to be reviewed in the light of a promotion. Imagine how complex that could get.

I've got a lot of symathy for the club on this one - we supporters are always going to oversimplify it. Plus, the other thing I'd say is....look at some of the recent two year deals we gave - Hannah, McLaughlin and Bignot. That worked out badly for club and players in the second year of those deals, both in terms of game time for the individuals, and VFM for the club.

See my above post. Essentially a two-year deal with a one-year break clause in the club's favour if they want to move a player on. Most clubs at this level seem to do it. You also can't put Magnay and Pearson in the same bracket when weighing up the pros and cons of handing out 2-year deals as we've known how valuable Shaun is for a long time now; it's a bit different when signing new players as it's a bit more of a gamble. As you say though, easy for us as supporters to over-simplify it but I can't help but feel we should have been offering our 'must-keep-regardless-of-division' players contracts earlier when the opportunity/attraction for them to talk to other clubs wasn't so much there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
LH
May 25, 2015, 11:30pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
Bignot was on an option deal wasn't he? Activated the option in his first year and played virtually no game time in the second year. LJL activated an option in his deal too from memory so they aren't all bad.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
immariner
May 25, 2015, 11:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from LH
Bignot was on an option deal wasn't he? Activated the option in his first year and played virtually no game time in the second year. LJL activated an option in his deal too from memory so they aren't all bad.

Yeah, they were in the player's favour. That's a different kettle altogether.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
chaos33
May 25, 2015, 11:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from immariner

See my above post. Essentially a two-year deal with a one-year break clause in the club's favour if they want to move a player on. Most clubs at this level seem to do it. You also can't put Magnay and Pearson in the same bracket when weighing up the pros and cons of handing out 2-year deals as we've known how valuable Shaun is for a long time now; it's a bit different when signing new players as it's a bit more of a gamble. As you say though, easy for us as supporters to over-simplify it but I can't help but feel we should have been offering our 'must-keep-regardless-of-division' players contracts earlier when the opportunity/attraction for them to talk to other clubs wasn't so much there.

I think it's a good point about Pearson, but again, we might be oversimplifying. How do we know that we didn't offer Pearson or others two years on terms that they weren't happy with? It does take two to agree and sign a contract. I do generally agree with you though, and I think everyone probably will see the advantages, but my point is - with most of our players it is impossible to know how well that's going to work out, especially if they've had (say) a very serious injury in the past, like Magnay had. Its easy for us to sit and pick out the players we should have signed on a 2 year deal now the season's over.
I think, perhaps, many of us would like to have seen several players sign extensions part way through this season, with suitable clauses for renegotiation in the event of promotion/remaining in the conference. That, perhaps, might have spared us some of the insecurity we now face, and the pressure to re-sign those players we value highly or face 'losing our assets' for no return to rivals. It's easy to assume that players want to sign for as long as they can.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
excusebeef
May 26, 2015, 8:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
Quoted from LH
I think LJL might well have a club higher take a punt on him after his personal best season and if not he'll be one of the last to re-commit.

my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't stay after the abuse he received for 2/3 of the season! My only negative from our fans this season for our top scorer!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
DocTower
May 26, 2015, 8:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
With hearing that players are being picked up by other sides in the division , it's obvious we to would like to hear the same . If we do have the same faces as last year we can expect much of the same . Seeing as we have released a number  of players,  we must assume that hopefully those funds will be allocated to playing staff . Which position is up to our manager , so the debate of whether it be defence , midfield or forward line will go on .  

I think  the loan market will come into play for us , it's just picking up the right one of two . I believe there are new rules regarding loan players  this season,  have they got to be a season  long loan ?

Would be happy to see Ollie back .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
arryarryarry
May 26, 2015, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from excusebeef

my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't stay after the abuse he received for 2/3 of the season! My only negative from our fans this season for our top scorer!

I would say he received far more negative comments the season before but he used the re-signing clause that was in his contract to sign for last season.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
KK_DOG
May 26, 2015, 10:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Matt Dean from Radio Humberside just tweeted another player has signed. Details in the morning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › two signings this week

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.