This thread currently has 12,646 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
SamTheMariner
May 25, 2015, 9:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
If we do sign Chandler I'd be reasonably happy because he would provide quality back-up, but back-up only. If Clay can be less ponderous in possession and Brown the same we might have a quality midfield on our hands.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
immariner
May 25, 2015, 10:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That touch at Wembley to cut inside before playing in Pitman was brilliant. Think we will see a lot more of "the worst signing ever" next year.

Clay was the better player for much of the season and I'd have preferred to see him start at Wembley, buuuut, in that instance he should have shot. It was calling out for a curler into the far corner!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
LH
May 25, 2015, 10:11pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Hopefully we have offered Clay a longer deal this time, two possibly three years. That thread from when he signed is Fishy Gold.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
Hagrid
May 25, 2015, 10:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 507
I bloody hope we arent giving out 3 year deals!!!!^
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
Nelly GTFC
May 25, 2015, 10:34pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Hagrid
I bloody hope we arent giving out 3 year deals!!!!^
I would hope that if we unearth another potential Ryan Bennett, that we don't offer them a measly one year deal, otherwise they will be sold for peanuts at the end of the season.

I've just read Fleetwood only bought Jamie Vardy for 20K, we probally could not of afforded his wages, but even if Fleetwood was paying him 2K a week, we would of made a fortune selling him on just like they did.

That's not something negative, but I hope our club consider the potential gamble on quality players, that could make Grimsby Town a decent profit and be a benefit to any one or two seasons.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
LH
May 25, 2015, 10:44pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
He's only just turned 23 and has proven he is good enough. For the reasons Nelly states it is worth taking a bit of a gamble on one or two younger players if they have proven their worth. Three years on a player 5 or 10 years older would be stupid but surely we've got to take a bit of a punt on our YPOTY? How old was Shaun Pearson when we signed him?

The one year deals have their uses but we find ourselves in a bit of a situation now where really good players are free to move on and we get nothing out of it. I understand the reservations people have with longer deals and even worse the option deals with "Bignot" clauses.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
chaos33
May 25, 2015, 10:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from LH
Hopefully we have offered Clay a longer deal this time, two possibly three years. That thread from when he signed is Fishy Gold.

There's no way that any player of ours will be offered a 3 year deal, and I'd be very, very surprised if more than a couple were offered 2 years.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
Stew0_0
May 25, 2015, 10:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Would be a massive statement of intent to the 10 others if Pearson and Magnay signed first. Cmon guys you know it makes sense
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
chaos33
May 25, 2015, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from SamTheMariner
If we do sign Chandler I'd be reasonably happy because he would provide quality back-up, but back-up only. If Clay can be less ponderous in possession and Brown the same we might have a quality midfield on our hands.

But isn't that like saying, if the midfielders we've got were different to how they actually are, they'd be quality?
Their strengths are their strengths - for example, I think Brown has great energy, and Clay is very good at breaking up attacks and using the ball generally, but we just need a player or two who is better all round, and definitely offensively IMO.

I think Disley has been great and hopeflly he'll play on for another year or so with us and keep producing like he has done, but I think we're crying out for an outstanding partner for him who can really get hold of a game and dominate it. A player with a bif of pace and skill, and who can create and score. Add up Clay and Brown's combined assists and goals last season and you'll see what I'm getting at.

To fit the Hurst mould he'll still need to be solid defensively, but if we can find such a player (I thought Brown looked like it could be him in pre-season/early season last year), then we'll win more games, especially at home. When was the last time everyone agreed that Grimsby won the game because their midfield were dominant? For me, a really good centre midfielder, and a genuine goalscorer are the only vital pieces of the jigsaw missing in the team 2014/2015. I feel positive about the situation we're in now, because it's abundantly clear what we need to do to progress. That's much better than standing around at the end of a season scratching our heads, wondering where it all went wrong, and arguing bitterly amongst ourselves about what we should be doing next. We can see clearly and we should act decisively and confidently - do what needs to be done and go all out for the title next season. The support is there.

Of course, I realise that this means that all (or almost all) of the players offered deals will need to sign for us.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
immariner
May 25, 2015, 11:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Contracts should always have an option for a further year or two in the club's favour. That way you don't risk losing them for nowt/next to nowt if they have a good season. I don't know why ours don't. Too risky.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › two signings this week

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.