LondonMariner43
May 20, 2015, 10:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from arryarryarry

To be honest I can't be arsed to go back and check but it would be interesting to found out who said that this season Hurst would get us promoted.

I would say PH did pretty much everything humanly possible to get us promoted and until around 4.30 on Sunday I thought he would.  We lost out in the league because we started the season with massive issues around injury and suspension.  Hard to imagine that we started the season pinning our hopes on Alan Connell who has hardly played a game of football lower down the pyramid since, and scored no goals.  We were in close contention for automatic promotion until the final 2 weeks of the season.  We were the better team at Wembley and if extra time hadn't come to an end there was only one team going to win it.  It was noticeable how our side showed superior fitness at Wembley (thanks to PH maybe?) - towards the end Bristol were out on their knees - at one stage 3 players were down with cramp.  Most people acknowledge that a bit of backbone from the ref would have seen us 1-0 against 10 men with 70 minutes remaining.  Unfortunately PH couldn't take all the penalties, though he seems like the kind of bloke who would have taken one given the chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
arryarryarry
May 20, 2015, 11:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Grimal

Would you rather us be in the conference or rather us have no club at all, if it wasnt for JF you wouldnt have that choice.I find it "sweet"to have a Football club in my home town to support,even at this level but obviously like everyone else would love to see us back in the football league.

I'd rather have had a chairman that had sacked Neil Woods before he was allowed to drag us out of the Football League.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
TAGG
May 20, 2015, 11:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Fenty has put stupid amount of money into this club.

and Hurst is not far off being our most successful manager we have ever had.

Since Rob Scott departure we have been looking forward, removing the players with bad attitudes and replacing with players who wear the shirt with pride.

With Hurst in charge, i will be confident

"Fenty has put stupid amount of money into this club" you are right there mate stupid is the word. If he had not made so many stupid decisions while at the helm of GTFC may be he wouldn't have had to put as much money into the club. Also he seems to have done a very good job again with the club being 277,000k in the red this year.

"Hurst is not far off being our most successful manager we have ever had"
ye as successful as Bobby Roberts.

Paul Hurst
    Lincolnshire Senior Cup: 2011–12, 2012–13

See below for SUCCESS

Alan Buckley
    Division Four runners up, Promoted: 1990
    Division Three 3rd place, Promoted: 1991
    Auto Windscreens Shield winner: 1998
    Division Two Play-off winner: 1998

George Kerr
    Division 3 Champions 1980

Paul Hurst can come no where near these two as a Manager in honours or footballing style in a million years.

Not living in the past just pointing out the difference between my interpretation of success as opposed to the notion that losing in the play offs is success.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
diehardmariner
May 20, 2015, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,588
Gold Stars: 538
Didn't we win the Lincs Cup this year too?  
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
psgmariner
May 20, 2015, 12:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Hurst should not be beyond criticism.

He has made some huge mistakes this season and he has failed in his primary objective of getting us promoted. I think he has done really well to finally assemble a balanced and committed squad but obviously this was done far too late. Whether he will receive the same financial backing next season remains to be seen and I certainly think another terrible start to the season could see the knives out again.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
TAGG
May 20, 2015, 12:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from diehardmariner
Didn't we win the Lincs Cup this year too?  

Wooops missed that one  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
sparko501
May 20, 2015, 12:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +97
Quoted from arryarryarry

Perhaps you would like to explain what is "sweet" about being a Conference side. Are you seriously suggesting you would rather be in the Conference than in the Football League.?

Ermmm no, where in my post does it say that?

My point is that compared to other conference clubs we have good set up and I personally don't want that to change as I think it would make things worse, so I was just saying be careful what you wish for
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
arryarryarry
May 20, 2015, 1:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from sparko501

Ermmm no, where in my post does it say that?

My point is that compared to other conference clubs we have good set up and I personally don't want that to change as I think it would make things worse, so I was just saying be careful what you wish for

Ermmm you said :-

"as a conference side we have it pretty sweet"

Then I was asking you a question.

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
LH
May 20, 2015, 1:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
What's your point? Historically as a side that has played mostly in the upper reaches of the Football League we have it pretty excrement.

As it stands - we are a Conference side. Relatively speaking we do have it pretty sweet. High attendances, a team that has made the play offs three years on the bounce and we're not scratching around signing players who have been injured for most of the last two years.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
FishOutOfWater
May 20, 2015, 1:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from realist
Since when has a frustrated supporter been a troll?. I have also been called defreitas just because I have a different opinion to others.
Once the rose tinted specs have gone after a battling Wembley performance we will stil be stuck in this rubbish league.
so. No trolling or wind up. Just a personal opinion. I could be wrong but I doubt it, after all it looks like I'm the only one on here who backed and wanted Cameron to win.
I stand by what I originally posted I think our current manager will not get us out of this league.

Got me thinking that I had seen somewhere this is Masturbation Month

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/national-masturbation-month/

Both of the May victories by the blue teams mean so far it's been totally w@nk...  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › looks like another 2 years in the conference

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.