Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Work to do, and fast !
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 117 Guests

Work to do, and fast !

This thread currently has 4,421 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Grantham_Mariner
May 18, 2015, 11:06am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,170
Gold Stars: 50
Contracted players for next season......

James McKeown
Callum Bastock................

.......so we are ok for Keepers !

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
jonnyboy82
May 18, 2015, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
If we can retain most if not all the players of the squad and add 2-3 players that would be ideal but the ones that worry me are Pearson and Toto , for me they have been our best central defenders in recent years and they could easily play league 2.

I really hope we can sign them up.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
May 18, 2015, 11:14am
Guest User
I think most of these players will want to be coming back.

My biggest two worries are Pearson and Magnay.

I would love to see Ian Miller signed who has been released by Cambridge.
Reply: 2 - 21
pontoonlew
May 18, 2015, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 167
More chance of rocking horse shite than Miller coming back here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
Jarmo.Is.God
May 18, 2015, 11:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Keep gowling instead of Miller
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
jonnyboy82
May 18, 2015, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I agree , gowling should be snapped up if possible.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
mariner91
May 18, 2015, 11:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,542
Gold Stars: 258
Sign Gowling, Magnay, Pearson and Toto as soon as possible. Championship winning sides are built on solid defences and we've got a pretty damn good one currently. Then look at investing in the forward areas. We weren't far off this season, just needs that extra spark.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
diehardmariner
May 18, 2015, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,359
Gold Stars: 531
In an ideal world I'd love to see the vast majority of this squad kept together with the exceptions of Brown, Hannah, McLaughlin, Bignot and Jolley let go.  

Replace Brown basically with someone a bit better.  I know that's a very generalised statement to make but we need someone with a bit more about him.  He started well but yesterday just highlighted the difference in our tempo when Clay is playing instead of Brown.   I think it was the York fans who commented that Brown goes badly missing in bigger games too, which unfortunately I think we've seen this season.  I don't think he's a bad player at all, but we want to improve.  Clay and Disley are a fine pairing, just need a viable alternative.

Hannah doesn't offer enough for me.  I saw a few people on facebook/twitter last night saying it was a perfect opportunity for him yesterday and we were crying out for him. Sorry but I couldn't disagree more.  Hurst has set us up as a side who have strikers who hustle and bustle, run into the channels and even have that little bit of unpredictability about them.   Hannah is a willing runner, nothing more.  Even for the disappointing performances he put in later in the season I'd like to see Palmer remain here and work with LJL and Pittman.  As for another option, I wouldn't be too disappointed to see what Watson is like with a full pre-season under him and a bit more development.

McLaughlin, Bignot and Jolley - I'd see as part of cost saving if I'm honest.  
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
MuddyWaters
May 18, 2015, 12:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 233
Hypothetical I know, but I wonder what might have happened had Rodman stayed. I know he was inconsistent but he offered more of a threat than Mackreth does.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
diehardmariner
May 18, 2015, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Don't think Rodman had anywhere near the work ethic that Mackreth brings to the table.  Individually, no contest but I'd much rather have Mackreth in this team.

Mackreth has been an unsung hero for me this season.  Scored some vitals goal at a time when we were stuttering a bit but more importantly never once has he gone missing, which Rodman was prone to doing.

Mackreth is a nice medium of the ability of Rodman but the workrate of Colbeck.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
ginnywings
May 18, 2015, 12:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Hypothetical I know, but I wonder what might have happened had Rodman stayed. I know he was inconsistent but he offered more of a threat than Mackreth does.

I think McKreth plays to orders. He clearly checks back most of the time and thinks defence before attack. Seen it a lot this season and i don't think he put one decent cross in yesterday but his tracking back was exemplary.

He is not a true winger in this set up, more of a modern type wing back. Neilson and Rodman could beat men but forgo the other parts of the game. Hurst likes the McKreth type who will run all day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
forza ivano
May 18, 2015, 12:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,127
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from diehardmariner
Don't think Rodman had anywhere near the work ethic that Mackreth brings to the table.  Individually, no contest but I'd much rather have Mackreth in this team.

Mackreth has been an unsung hero for me this season.  Scored some vitals goal at a time when we were stuttering a bit but more importantly never once has he gone missing, which Rodman was prone to doing.

Mackreth does an awful lot of good defensive work. i noticed in the last few games that mackreth is left back as one of the defensive markers at corners, because he is so quick he can cover if there is a break. clever idea from hurst and it's served us very well because there's been half a dozen occasions when mackreth has 'tidied up'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
MuddyWaters
May 18, 2015, 12:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Mackreth does an awful lot of good defensive work. i noticed in the last few games that mackreth is left back as one of the defensive markers at corners, because he is so quick he can cover if there is a break. clever idea from hurst and it's served us very well because there's been half a dozen occasions when mackreth has 'tidied up'

I accept all of those points. Anyone who reads my posts knows that I'm not Paul Hurst's biggest fan but I acknowledge and praise him for the squad he's assembled, but I honestly believe that we need more attacking threat at home in particular, and given that, we would have probably won this league.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
diehardmariner
May 18, 2015, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I honestly believe that we need more attacking threat at home in particular, and given that, we would have probably won this league.

Equally so we may have dropped more points on the road and ended up with less points overall?

It's swings and roundabouts.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
MuddyWaters
May 18, 2015, 12:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Equally so we may have dropped more points on the road and ended up with less points overall?

It's swings and roundabouts.

Or you could carry on with our tactics and formation away and have a more attacking strategy at home???
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
grimsby pete
May 18, 2015, 12:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I can not see many players wanting to leave,

If a league club comes in and offers more money and a longer contract then good luck to them,

Most of the players will want to give it another go,

With 2 or 3 good signings we might just achieve our dream next season.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
ackomariner
May 18, 2015, 12:48pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

I think McKreth plays to orders. He clearly checks back most of the time and thinks defence before attack. Seen it a lot this season and i don't think he put one decent cross in yesterday but his tracking back was exemplary.

He is not a true winger in this set up, more of a modern type wing back. Neilson and Rodman could beat men but forgo the other parts of the game. Hurst likes the McKreth type who will run all day.

Spot on Ginny....said it all season long

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
topuphere666
May 18, 2015, 1:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
A player like Neilson was quality, but his attitude  - if you believe what was posted etc - was poor.

When he was on form and could be bothered he was exciting to watch, he drove at players and made them worry, he got arses off the seats.

If we can sign a player with the same set of footballing skills and better human skills we would be onto a winner.

The core of this current squad needs to remain with the addition of a winger and an out and out striker.

The centre of the park has been good this season, it is the first time in a long time we can say that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
arryarryarry
May 18, 2015, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,062
Gold Stars: 116

I was never a big fan of Rodman but he had far more ability than Mackreth has ever shown for us in taking defenders on.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
rancido
May 18, 2015, 7:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,518
Gold Stars: 96
The squad for next season needs to be compact, some multi-position players and not too large. We do not have a reserve team and as a consequence those not involved on match days only have training sessions to impress PH, which is not the best situation to be in. We signed 3 first year pro's last season but hardly used them which , to me anyway , is a waste of money. I know they won't be on fantastic money but their 3 wages combined could pay 1 experienced players wage. If we are going to bring on players through the youth set-up then we must use them or abandon the policy completely. If we had a reserve team then that would be different because they would be getting competitive game time and experience. I don't know about the possibility or legality of having a reserve team in a division lower down the pyramid eg Brigg Town level but if possible then that would be of great benefit to the fringe players.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
Jarmo.Is.God
May 18, 2015, 7:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Forget neilson, I think Arnold wanted it more and is a better player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
Rick12
May 18, 2015, 8:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from topuphere666
A player like Neilson was quality, but his attitude  - if you believe what was posted etc - was poor.

When he was on form and could be bothered he was exciting to watch, he drove at players and made them worry, he got arses off the seats.

If we can sign a player with the same set of footballing skills and better human skills we would be onto a winner.
!
That's the thing that annoys me. Players like Neilson have the ability but they don't maximise it and let it go to waste.On another level that's why I respect Christiano Ronaldo his work ethic is second to none and added to that his undoubted ability makes him the world beater that he is

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Work to do, and fast !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.