Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I might be in a minority of one but...
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 313 Guests

I might be in a minority of one but...

This thread currently has 4,759 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
May 17, 2015, 7:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
I thought it was a bloody awful game from two defensive teams who were desperate not to lose. Did either keeper make a save during the whole 2 hours?
Can't fault towns commitment but thought disley and Browns performances were strewn with errors,Palmer offered ver little whilst toto continues to survive by the seat of his pants. Real shame that Arnold was so little involved and not the danger man he could be, because he was asked to sit so deep. Thought even magnay was below par, whilst shop was well dealt with by their centre backs.the left back had mckreth in his pocket. Crossing and corners were poor.
Pearson was motm by a country mile IMHO.  Played a lot of football at the back but failed miserably to do anything meaningful in the attacking half. Rovers were even worse . Quite embarrassing the amount of shanks, passes played straight out of play, players falling over their own feet, miss kicks .the joy of non league football eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
May 17, 2015, 7:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Worth noting it is non league football after all....................... Agree with Pearson as MOTM though.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
jonnyboy82
May 17, 2015, 8:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Yes you are in the minority of one.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
mariner2000
May 17, 2015, 8:13pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
I think as stated the point is THIS IS NON LEAGUE FOOTBALL.

I agree Hursts negative awayday tactics do your head in but on the day the team did well, they outplayed Briistol Rovers the stronger team.  

I just wish we had decided to shoot when we were in the box!!

Of course there were errors today, their were lots of nerves so it was to be expected.  Overall we still deserved to win.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 3 - 14
devs
May 17, 2015, 8:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
We were great today apart from not shooting enough... feel I've been saying that all season
Very proud of the players and the magnificent effort they put in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
Tommy
May 17, 2015, 8:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Couldn't disagree more about Toto I thought he was brilliant and probably our MOM.

We weren't far off but just lacked what we lacked all season to make the difference - that Akinde/Vardy/Hearn/Andre Gray/Tubbs quality striker.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
mariner2000
May 17, 2015, 8:52pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
this year we need it from DAY ONE not from Christmas!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 6 - 14
tails303
May 17, 2015, 8:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +182
I thought town played well UPTO the final third.mackreth couldnt beat an egg and LJL trying to many fancy flicks...having said that, we didnt deserve to lose. Team and fans did us proud and ive no doubt we will be challenging again next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
arryarryarry
May 17, 2015, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from forza ivano
I thought it was a bloody awful game from two defensive teams who were desperate not to lose. Did either keeper make a save during the whole 2 hours?
Can't fault towns commitment but thought disley and Browns performances were strewn with errors,Palmer offered ver little whilst toto continues to survive by the seat of his pants. Real shame that Arnold was so little involved and not the danger man he could be, because he was asked to sit so deep. Thought even magnay was below par, whilst shop was well dealt with by their centre backs.the left back had mckreth in his pocket. Crossing and corners were poor.
Pearson was motm by a country mile IMHO.  Played a lot of football at the back but failed miserably to do anything meaningful in the attacking half. Rovers were even worse . Quite embarrassing the amount of shanks, passes played straight out of play, players falling over their own feet, miss kicks .the joy of non league football eh?

I thought Palmer didn't do that bad considering the poor effort from both wide men who hardly got a decent cross into the area all game.

When we were lumping it forward it was usually Palmer getting his head to it, when he went off we hardly won a header for the rest of the game.

Lets not forget it was a good run and effort to beat the keeper when the cheating tw@t should have walked.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
petethemariner
May 17, 2015, 11:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Have to be honest, i thought our two forwards were moderate today,Shop won a few headers and tried
hard, but neither he or Palmer held the ball up well enough today, remember thinking to myself 'couldn't trap
a bag of cement' a good few times today, perhaps the service to them wasn't the greatest, but its that area
of the pitch, plus an attack minded midfielder that is the reason we face  at least another season in the non
league. IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
Grim74
May 17, 2015, 11:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Agree with forza, apart from the first 15 mins it was a very boring Game, I thought town would of gone on the attack but they resorted to negative backwards passing with 75 mins to go, as for Bristol although they looked the more threatening it was just the same hoof ball we have been accustomed to at blundell park.

Overall the game lacked any quality and must of showed how poor non league football is to the watching public including the England manager,which to be positive will hopefully dispel any interest in our players.

And that's no criticism of the team they are what they are and I am proud of they way they have performed over the season, it's no shame to fall at the final hurdle against the biggest club in the league, I believe if we stick with hurst we will win the league next season.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
Maringer
May 17, 2015, 11:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
For a game with not too much in the way of goalmouth action, I thought it was still a decent spectacle. The first half especially was quite open and entertaining.

Both teams use a defensive style of play which relies on good organisation at the back and lots of hard work throughout the team. I think it's no surprise that the best players on both teams were the defenders today.

I don't mind this conservative defensive approach too much but I would to see us improve the speed of passing through our midfield as we rarely had any threatening counter-attacks, in part because we are often so slow in moving the ball in this area.

Only small tweaks and changes required, but let's hope we can manage to sort these things out during the close season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
AlanPoutonsTackle
May 18, 2015, 12:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Quoted from forza ivano

Couldn't agree more. Behind the rose tinted spectacles that is what it was and saying it is non league doesn't wash. You are playing players of your own level and as such should be able to pass the ball take players on and have a shot that goes toward the goal. Both teams for me were devoid of a couple of players to do something different that could win the game. We relied on the long ball too much and our moves broke down too quickly. What you have written were exactly my thoughts after the game

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
Eastendmariner
May 18, 2015, 7:58pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
Rovers were there for the taking today they were awful.it wasn't a spectacle but Town in patches played well.we lacked real q in front of goal mackreth was disappointing with final ball.pearson was man of the match. When we did get behind them 3-4 times the final ball was poor.  I think the town were superb as well we are as one everyone was behind our team we know we havn't felt like that for a few years. Brush ourselves off and think about next season UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
Garth
May 19, 2015, 8:45am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Not a good football spectacle due to the tension between the teams regarding the occasion MOM in my opinion was Toto
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I might be in a minority of one but...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.