Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The biggest game in our history?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 114 Guests

The biggest game in our history?

This thread currently has 5,158 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
May 15, 2015, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,058
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from LH
I know that this is the single most important game in our history. In terms of stature though it is nowhere near as big as an FA Cup semi final. I suppose what I'm getting at that in 80 years time this whole non-league debacle is forgotten about.

We hope!!!!

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
big al
May 15, 2015, 1:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from LH
I know that this is the single most important game in our history. In terms of stature though it is nowhere near as big as an FA Cup semi final. I suppose what I'm getting at that in 80 years time this whole non-league debacle is forgotten about.

I agree. I think the difference is, the semi-finals were games about the position we deserved to be in football. This one is about getting out of somewhere that we shouldn't be in the first place. It is so incredibly 'all or nothing' If we lose, I think people will be gutted in a way they have yet to fully comprehend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
KingstonMariner
May 15, 2015, 1:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
No wonder you're all bricking it thinking it's the most important game in our history. Hope the squad aren't thinking like this.

More important than the game that took us down here?

Despite the fact that losing the FA Cup semis held no real jeopardy for us, I'd still go with them being more important. The FA Cup is THE most important competition in football. Without it, it's doubtful if football as we know it would have existed. It was only then that clubs started using the same rules for all games. Having the opportunity to win the most important club competition beats the opportunity to get a promotion (as difficult as it is to get out of the Conference).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
jock dock tower
May 15, 2015, 1:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Given the amount of ex Football League teams in the Conference now they could expand the Football League and call it the 3rd Division. Back in the League without the worry

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
Les Brechin
May 15, 2015, 1:38pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from KingstonMariner
No wonder you're all bricking it thinking it's the most important game in our history. Hope the squad aren't thinking like this.

More important than the game that took us down here?

Despite the fact that losing the FA Cup semis held no real jeopardy for us, I'd still go with them being more important. The FA Cup is THE most important competition in football. Without it, it's doubtful if football as we know it would have existed. It was only then that clubs started using the same rules for all games. Having the opportunity to win the most important club competition beats the opportunity to get a promotion (as difficult as it is to get out of the Conference).

If you mean the Burton game, then at the end of the day it was totally unimportant. Even if we had won 10-0 on the day we would still have been relegated.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
KingstonMariner
May 15, 2015, 2:39pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

If you mean the Burton game, then at the end of the day it was totally unimportant. Even if we had won 10-0 on the day we would still have been relegated.

Well yes, we were still needing 'snookers' but it could have turned out OK. And if not that maybe the game before was the important one?

Splitting hairs really, but I'd leave the "most important game" spinning to the Conference and the naff PA announcements at Wembley.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
KingstonMariner
May 15, 2015, 2:39pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Well yes, we were still needing 'snookers' but it could have turned out OK. And if not that maybe the game before was the important one?

Splitting hairs really, but I'd leave the "most important game" spinning to the Conference and the naff PA announcements at Wembley.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
Abdul19
May 15, 2015, 3:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,504
Gold Stars: 215
Without a doubt

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Garth
May 15, 2015, 3:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Full of confidence that this is our year, and I will be there to see it
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
topuphere666
May 15, 2015, 3:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
The play off game in '98 at the time was massive, we were a reasonably well established 2nd tier club. We deserved to be back in Division 1. I don't think anyone would believe that 17 years later the same club would be heading back to Wembley to get back into the football league.

This game is a huge as they come for the club. Should we fail to go up it will open so many questions - have we got the budget to mount a serious challenge again next season?. What players would stick around etc?

We cannot afford to lose on Sunday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The biggest game in our history?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.