rancido
May 13, 2015, 7:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from psgmariner
I never struggle to get a space within a 5 minute walk of the ground. Easy to get out and it's free. Not sure what your point is or is this a whoosh moment?

Not a " whoosh " moment at all. I just don't see how fans think the car parking arrangement is ok at BP when there isn't any PUBLIC parking except for parking on other peoples fronts. I know they don't have " reserved " spaces in front of their homes but I'm fairly sure that fans wold be up in arms if they had cars parked on their fronts on a regular basis if another form of entertainment was involved . I think this would be certainly the case of they couldn't then park their own cars outside their homes.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 106
grimsby pete
May 13, 2015, 7:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Maringer
When my Dad was very young he lived in a house near BP (don't remember which street) and has told me he remembers stacks of bikes in their yard from people going to the game!

That's right, the owners used to charge 2d that's less than 1p to leave your bike while the match was on,

Also there were many special buses put on from all parts of the town,

I was a bus driver and we got in free to watch the game if we were driving a special.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 106
FishOutOfWater
May 13, 2015, 8:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from rancido

Not a " whoosh " moment at all. I just don't see how fans think the car parking arrangement is ok at BP when there isn't any PUBLIC parking except for parking on other peoples fronts. I know they don't have " reserved " spaces in front of their homes but I'm fairly sure that fans wold be up in arms if they had cars parked on their fronts on a regular basis if another form of entertainment was involved . I think this would be certainly the case of they couldn't then park their own cars outside their homes.

You could argue that the council can't be too fussed about the current issues concerning the area closest to BP and everyone parking there on match days

Take this Sunday at Wembley for example....it will be residents only close to the stadium to protect the local inhabitants' rights so fans will have to park away from the venue and find other means of getting to the ground

This could be sorted out in Cleethorpes too I guess although all it would mean administration to control who can park there (and a cost for this no doubt) but it would mean the majority driving to the game would have to park further away from  the ground than they do currently and leave the streets closest to BP free for residents
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 92 - 106
rancido
May 14, 2015, 2:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

You could argue that the council can't be too fussed about the current issues concerning the area closest to BP and everyone parking there on match days

Take this Sunday at Wembley for example....it will be residents only close to the stadium to protect the local inhabitants' rights so fans will have to park away from the venue and find other means of getting to the ground

This could be sorted out in Cleethorpes too I guess although all it would mean administration to control who can park there (and a cost for this no doubt) but it would mean the majority driving to the game would have to park further away from  the ground than they do currently and leave the streets closest to BP free for residents

You could but wasn't it the council who first suggested that the club move . As I understand it the club approached the council to see how favourable their reaction would be to a re-developed BP ( this was quite some years ago ). The councils response was that they would rather the club moved to a new site. Now I'm not saying this was the only reason but it is possible that the council regarded the existing parking at BP as totally inadequate and this could be solved by the club moving to another site.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 106
ginnywings
May 14, 2015, 3:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from rancido

They are not parking on "other peoples fronts" as you put it. They are parking on a public highway which is the right of everyone who purchases road tax. People who venture to BP in a car, travel around until they find the nearest empty spot to the ground, as is their right. You have no more rights to the bit of road in front of your house than the next person.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 106
jock dock tower
May 14, 2015, 3:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I was brought up around bp, and I still live there now.  I accept that the football ground was there before I moved back there and plan around match days as best I can.  I also agree with the point about increased car usage. I remember the ladies who would let you leave your bike in there yard for a penny.

Is that a euphenism?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 106
Dan
May 14, 2015, 5:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Why anyone needs to actually drive to Blundell park is beyond me. I should think the majority of home fans could very easily walk, get public transport or cycle. It's also only a short walk from the train station. And while we're in the conference, the away fans can easily park their 2 cars in McDonalds.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 106
ginnywings
May 14, 2015, 11:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Dan
Why anyone needs to actually drive to Blundell park is beyond me. I should think the majority of home fans could very easily walk, get public transport or cycle. It's also only a short walk from the train station. And while we're in the conference, the away fans can easily park their 2 cars in McDonalds.

I walk to and from BP (2.5 mile round trip) but if people choose to use their car, then i can't see the problem myself. If it's p1ssing down, the missus will drop me off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 106
FishOutOfWater
May 14, 2015, 11:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Dan

As an exile like you Dan, I drive in to see Town play because I don't feel that public transport serves my needs

I park as close as I can to BP but generally I get to leave the car somewhere close to Sidney Park....say at the top end of Lovett Street or Barcroft Street.

It more often than not means I still have to find a space to park even though I still have a 5-10 minute walk to the ground but I guess I could park even further away and not have to worry too much about leaving my car in front of someone's house, taking the space maybe of someone who might like to park outside their own front door

Unfortunately it's a fact of modern life that there are too few parking spaces on the terraced streets around the area...they were designed well before car ownership reached its current levels so now we just have to play a kind of "musical chairs" taking whatever is up for grabs
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 98 - 106
KingstonMariner
May 15, 2015, 12:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

They are not parking on "other peoples fronts" as you put it. They are parking on a public highway which is the right of everyone who purchases road tax. People who venture to BP in a car, travel around until they find the nearest empty spot to the ground, as is their right. You have no more rights to the bit of road in front of your house than the next person.

You've just hit on one of my pet hates around here.....people who double the width of the entrance to their driveway (which was probably never made as a driveway in the first place) then expect people not only to not park in front of the lowered kerb but also not park within 7 feet of it. You end up losing even more parking space than if they'd just parked their car on the road outside their house in the first place - and the buggers aren't there all day anyway.

I feel better for that!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Melanie Onn

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.