Trawler
May 12, 2015, 3:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Transcript....

DB Where do you stand on the new stadium for GTFC the chairman wants to build it off Peaks Parkway in Grimsby?  

MO I think I am worried about the location. We need to have a new stadium there's no doubt about it - I think that actually having a new stadium if we can get into the proper football league it can do an awful lot for sense of community and sense of the pride in the town but I am worried about the location.  There are a lot of issues in terms of transport and access to that area.  I don't know. I have been speaking to a lot of people about it and they are sort of like why didn't we agree on the Great Coates site because 10 years ago that would have been perfect.
The site at PP - they're talking about having it as a mixed retail and new build housing plot and I think do we need another retail space outside the town when we have already seen quite a lot of new industrial retail sites in the area. Will it just draw more trade away from town? So I am worried about those knock on consequences that I haven't seen enough of an answer to really, but I understand the financial position of the club. I know they are losing a lot of money every single year.  Perhaps it wouldn't be the case if thy were higher up in the league however.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 106
MuddyWaters
May 12, 2015, 3:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Trawler
Transcript....

DB Where do you stand on the new stadium for GTFC the chairman wants to build it off Peaks Parkway in Grimsby?  

MO I think I am worried about the location. We need to have a new stadium there's no doubt about it - I think that actually having a new stadium if we can get into the proper football league it can do an awful lot for sense of community and sense of the pride in the town but I am worried about the location.  There are a lot of issues in terms of transport and access to that area.  I don't know. I have been speaking to a lot of people about it and they are sort of like why didn't we agree on the Great Coates site because 10 years ago that would have been perfect.
The site at PP - they're talking about having it as a mixed retail and new build housing plot and I think do we need another retail space outside the town when we have already seen quite a lot of new industrial retail sites in the area. Will it just draw more trade away from town? So I am worried about those knock on consequences that I haven't seen enough of an answer to really, but I understand the financial position of the club. I know they are losing a lot of money every single year.  Perhaps it wouldn't be the case if thy were higher up in the league however.

Typical politician - yes but no but yes but no......

The best argument for a new stadium will be a win on Sunday - UTM
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 106
arryarryarry
May 12, 2015, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Trawler
Transcript....

What the frig is she rattling on about.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 106
promotion plaice
May 12, 2015, 4:03pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Trawler
Transcript....

I fail to see how being higher up in the league would make any difference to the site at PP being more viable, unless Town get in the premier league and that ain't going to happen any time soon. From what i understand the new stadium is only viable with an enabling development ( housing / retail ) and if she is against out of town retail then all of a sudden we have taken a massive step backwards yet again under this council.
And i really believed it was going to happen this time, what a mug.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 106
gtfc98
May 12, 2015, 4:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Quoted from arryarryarry

What the frig is she rattling on about.

Give her a break. She's only just got her feet under the table. She's clearly not a football fan and doesn't know the in's and out's of the issue yet. Christ, she though we were at Wembley in 2001 not 1998!

Pretty sure all she was saying from what I heard was that she had concerns about the location, she didn't indicate that she wasn't open to hear the club's ideas to mitigate those concerns!

She's going to be a very good MP for this area. Of that I'm sure.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 106
pizzzza
May 12, 2015, 4:11pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from BIGChris

well over 40% live within 1/2 a mile of the Parkway site so walking to the game comes much more attractive to many

Can't be right Chris, I'd say the site is probably about 1/2 mile from the Weelsby Road junction and there isn't much else in the other direction!
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 106
Dan
May 12, 2015, 4:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
There is only one logical place to move the stadium:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YrCdh1k.png[/IMG]

• Town Centre location
  • Perfect Rail and Bus Links
  • Easily accessible from major roads into and out of town
  • Within walking distance of pretty much everyone
  • Not too many houses nearby so no complaints about noise
  • Not too many graves nearby so no complaints about disturbing the dead
  • Revitalise empty Riverhead locations
  • Pre-drink in Wetherspoons / Barge
  • Car Parking at the old Allied Carpets place just over the river (next to bus station)
  • Away fans can visit the Ross Tiger
  • intercourse Henry Boot

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 106
GTFCNiles
May 12, 2015, 4:24pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +38
Gold Stars: 5
And zero car parking.........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 106
Maringer
May 12, 2015, 4:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Nutty idea. We currently have street parking for hundreds of cars around BP.  I don't think the B&M Bargains car park will suffice!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 106
Dan
May 12, 2015, 4:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
People can park at Asda / Sainsburys / B & Q / Tesco / Freshney Place / That dilapadated old car park near Doughty Road and walk. There's literally thousands of car parking spaces round here.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Melanie Onn

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.