Maringer
May 12, 2015, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,488
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from grimps
Labour hate successful businessmen and they hate Tories , Do you really think they'd ever help Fenty or the Town get what they want ?
She and the Labour council are playing politics with our club

Utter drivel on all counts.

Nothing party political about support or lack thereof of the club's latest stadium plans as far as I can see. I don't think Fenty's status as a Tory has any bearing on the matter. It seems that councillors of all parties take the 'Nimby' view

Personally, I think the Parkway site would be a good choice, providing they can sort out the transportation situation and bring the community aspect of it to the fore, but I can see why locals to the area might not be so happy about it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 106
diehardmariner
May 12, 2015, 10:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 537
Has anyone taken the comments in before drawing an opinion?

She's acknowledged the club need a new stadium but has doubts that Peaks Parkway is the right location for it.  That to me suggests she's willing to work with the club to achieve what's best for not only for them but also the local community and the people she serves.  Even hinting at that is more than Austin Mitchell did in 30 years!

We badly need a new stadium, Blundell Park is falling to pieces before our eyes and is becoming less and less viable for the club.  The last thing we want to do is jump from the frying pan into the fire.  Grimsby needs a kick-start, one the stadium can provide, to get things moving again and drag the Town out of the 1970's and into the 21st century.  This is a one-off opportunity, we must get it right!

I have doubts over Peaks Parkway as a venue but so far it is the best option presented to us.  If a local MP can use her influence to bring other alternatives to the table then I'm all for that.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 106
Grantham_Mariner
May 12, 2015, 10:27am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from diehardmariner
I have doubts over Peaks Parkway as a venue but so far it is the best option presented to us.  If a local MP can use her influence to bring other alternatives to the table then I'm all for that.

If she does and we get our new stadium she has a seat for as long as she wants it..........................

Hint, hint.........

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 106
grimps
May 12, 2015, 1:23pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,112
Gold Stars: 46
She'll have no clout now anyway that Red Ed and the other losers have had a kicking , She has just joined the commons as a Union Shoe In  just at the time that the Labour party will shift to the right to have any chance of avoiding total Wipeout
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 106
Vance Warner
May 12, 2015, 1:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from BIGChris

For me any new ground needs to be easily accessible to more fans, that is why Great Coates, IMO. was a great escape.

THIS. Fenty himself has come out and said he used to have sleepless nights about how we would get people out to Great Coates. The last thing we need is a souless stadium on the edge of town. Can't believe some people still think that was the ideal site.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 106
FishOutOfWater
May 12, 2015, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

If she does and we get our new stadium she has a seat for as long as she wants it..........................

Hint, hint.........

Is it just my dirty mind thinking of where she could sit  

Seriously though, what's the issue? If she acknowledges Town needs a new ground that's a start and if she's unsure about PP then better to say so than not

Who knows how this is going to pan out in the long run anyway?

She may only be the MP for 5 years and the way the saga of our new ground has dragged out for such a long time, things may have changed to the extent that SAGA will be more of an attraction to her than where a new home for the Mariners might be
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 106
cleefish
May 12, 2015, 2:37pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
she is quiet tasty  good rep for town utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 106
diehardmariner
May 12, 2015, 2:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Vance Warner

THIS. Fenty himself has come out and said he used to have sleepless nights about how we would get people out to Great Coates. The last thing we need is a souless stadium on the edge of town. Can't believe some people still think that was the ideal site.

Would be interested to know what percentage of fans walk more than a mile to Blundell Park at present.  My money is on the vast majority either driving or jumping on the bus to get to games.  

That would be the same for a stadium anywhere.  If the stadium is at Peaks Parkway most people will either want to jump on public transport or park up at the ground.  Other clubs manage to move out of town and factor the issue of getting fans out them quite easily.  Surely it would be a simple matter of offering sufficient parking and a fleet of buses from around the Town on match-days?
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 106
arryarryarry
May 12, 2015, 2:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Vance Warner

Maybe so but you only have to look at Glumford park, and how that area has developed.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 106
BIGChris
May 12, 2015, 2:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from diehardmariner

Would be interested to know what percentage of fans walk more than a mile to Blundell Park at present.  My money is on the vast majority either driving or jumping on the bus to get to games.  

That would be the same for a stadium anywhere.  If the stadium is at Peaks Parkway most people will either want to jump on public transport or park up at the ground.  Other clubs manage to move out of town and factor the issue of getting fans out them quite easily.  Surely it would be a simple matter of offering sufficient parking and a fleet of buses from around the Town on match-days?

I was told that around 5% of current season ticket holders live within 1/2 a mile of BP but well over 40% live within 1/2 a mile of the Parkway site so walking to the game comes much more attractive to many. Park n ride will be needed but surely the key is to make the ground accessible to as many as possible and that is why, IMHO, out of town sites such as Great Coates would be a real problem?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Melanie Onn

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.