KingstonMariner
May 15, 2015, 12:30am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

I fail to see how being higher up in the league would make any difference to the site at PP being more viable, unless Town get in the premier league and that ain't going to happen any time soon. From what i understand the new stadium is only viable with an enabling development ( housing / retail ) and if she is against out of town retail then all of a sudden we have taken a massive step backwards yet again under this council.
And i really believed it was going to happen this time, what a mug.

She meant about the club not losing so much money.

As for taking another step back - it wasn't the council's idea to finance the ground that way. That was John Fenty and/or his advisers.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 106
KingstonMariner
May 15, 2015, 12:48am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Let's just have a little balance please.

* You could not "buy" a place at Clee Grammar School after 1951 because it was controlled by the Lindsey County Council.
** People were moved out of the Strand & East Marsh in the 1950s, 60s & 70s by both parties when in power to the Western, Crosby & Grange estates miles from any amenities or into the "family friendly" tower flats.
*** So built another pool miles from anywhere unless you happen to live in the middle of Little Russia.

* My mum's generation is older than that. By the 50s both major parties were well and truly behind the welfare state. It was the only way the Tries could get elected - it wasn't just about ending rationing.
** I know families who were glad to be moved out and provided with decent houses. Estates planned with shops, schools and parks.
*** "Little Russia" speaks volumes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 106
rancido
May 15, 2015, 1:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from ginnywings

They are not parking on "other peoples fronts" as you put it. They are parking on a public highway which is the right of everyone who purchases road tax. People who venture to BP in a car, travel around until they find the nearest empty spot to the ground, as is their right. You have no more rights to the bit of road in front of your house than the next person.

I usually enjoy your posts Ginnywings, they are usually well balanced and constructive. I do feel though that the opinion you have voiced in this post is the most selfish I have heard for some time. You may have the legal right to park where you like but surely there is a moral right for a person who lives in a terrace house to park on their own front. Once we start adopting this " f*ck you Jack I'm alright - I have a legal right to do this" attitude regardless, then we become a very selfish , uncaring society.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 106
MuddyWaters
May 15, 2015, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Dan
Why anyone needs to actually drive to Blundell park is beyond me. I should think the majority of home fans could very easily walk, get public transport or cycle. It's also only a short walk from the train station. And while we're in the conference, the away fans can easily park their 2 cars in McDonalds.

Like many Town fans I live in the Louth area which isn't terribly well served by High Speed Trains (thanks Dr Beeching), it's also quite a distance to walk and my knees don't permit me to bike - permission to drive please?
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 106
Dan
May 15, 2015, 3:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 106
Rodley Mariner
May 15, 2015, 3:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from rancido

I usually enjoy your posts Ginnywings, they are usually well balanced and constructive. I do feel though that the opinion you have voiced in this post is the most selfish I have heard for some time. You may have the legal right to park where you like but surely there is a moral right for a person who lives in a terrace house to park on their own front. Once we start adopting this " f*ck you Jack I'm alright - I have a legal right to do this" attitude regardless, then we become a very selfish , uncaring society.

He was talking about parking outside their house for a couple of hours once a fortnight, not mugging them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 106
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 15, 2015, 5:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

* My mum's generation is older than that. By the 50s both major parties were well and truly behind the welfare state. It was the only way the Tries could get elected - it wasn't just about ending rationing.
** I know families who were glad to be moved out and provided with decent houses. Estates planned with shops, schools and parks.
*** "Little Russia" speaks volumes.

* My cousin got a scholarship to Clee Grammar in the late 40s. His father was a deckie without a penny saved and knew nobody of note. Until 1951 the school was a minor public school in the sense of being funded by the church and private donations, notably in the 50s by the Kirman family who built the swimming pool block. Prior to WW2 admission was fee paying or scholarships but so were all grammar schools in some form or other as the only secondary schools available until the 1944 Act by the National Government raised the school leaving age and established secondary education for all.

** Mine was one of the families moves out and I assure you had no desire at all to be at the back of beyond on Crosby or Grange. The nearest shop to Crosby Road until Beechwood Road was built was in Second Avenue, a lovely walk. The earlier migrants from Strand who were housed on Western had no shops until Bradley Crossroads shops were built. Poor people, no cars. People who used to walk to work and shop had to use the wonderful bus service. Great if you were a fisherman or filleter. They had a school but no doctor. These estates in the sticks were a barmy idea and have done more harm than good as the court reports in the ET testify. Grimsby wasn't the only place to do it, Bransholme is brilliant too.

*** Little Russia is the name given to the West Marsh by one of the old Labour newspapers, the Herald I would guess, before WW2. Seeing as a lot of the West Marshers were shipped out to their own back of beyond on the Willows, that carried on the name. Common parlance to older people.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Melanie Onn

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.