Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New GTFC Anthem?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 193 Guests

New GTFC Anthem?

This thread currently has 8,890 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
May 12, 2015, 9:48pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Can anyone speak German and translate this?

[youtube]Lj9ISzXAUQU[/youtube]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
May 12, 2015, 10:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from big al

who knows - might happen yet

I doubt it.

I sense a lack of enthusiasm for change.
Reply: 31 - 49
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2015, 12:46am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 120790
Okay well when I made the original post I thought it would be a little too much to ask for. As soon as I clicked on the post button I thought "I bet this will end up creating a big debate and other suggestions other than just a positive agreement"....

Sorry for any any differences in opinion that this might have caused guys and gals. My intentions were only good intentions. I saw this Wembley final as a real opportunity not to be missed for the Mariners fans to adopt a new anthem, arrive at the stadium on the same page and all prepared and to produce a terrific noise to get behind the team with. I guess I am just desperate for us to create a wall of sound and genuinely feel that if you can pin your club name to a specific anthem, it is something that nurtures a spirit of togetherness between the fans and the crowd and spurs the team on. If the team arrive well prepared with tactics at the ready, then what is wrong with us being the same as fans and supporters.

There are many clubs that have adopted anthems and to hear their fans in full voice behind their teams is really awesome. Believe me, when many thousands of Rovers fans sing "Irene" three or four times at the weekend we will be awe of the sound coming towards us and it will drive their players on. I just wanted us to have something special in our armory.

I don't think it would matter to any great extent what we chose as long as it was a powerful sounding song worthy of being an anthem and that we all agree on it. As terrific as our supporters are, and hey our away fans are terrific, I just feel that our repertoire is a bit limited and a bit outdated. Chants like FISH, Mariners, SWWF , GTFC PH Black n White Army and I long to be GTFC etc.are okay as they go, and of course it is good to have a few in the collection. But I just felt we needed a big un to throw out.

When you listen to the big clubs and their amazing anthems I think it is terrific. It's what you come to associate the clubs with as well as their nicknames. For instance when you think of Liverpool you think of You'll Never Walk Alone or Fields of Anfield Road. And yes I know they have massive support, but our lot sound smashing too when in voice.

Thank you anyway for you view everyone and enjoy your day at Wembley. I hope we are all celebrating together come Sunday tea time.  

Good intentions sir, but when you have 3000 regulars who don't all sing, you aren't going to get more than 20 people to learn a new song in 6 days, let alone 10-12,000. You gotta keep it simple and familiar, or it's got to be so easy and catchy and sung with gusto by several hundred before others catch on and join in.

Simple
Familiar
Loud
Repetitive

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2015, 12:48am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 120790

Love this one

That is ace. Not heard it before.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
KingstonMariner
May 13, 2015, 12:58am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
Can anyone speak German and translate this?

[youtube]Lj9ISzXAUQU[/youtube]

It's been a long time since I did it at school, but it's a wistful song told from the point of view of a seamen who'd travelled the world over, seen all the continents, sailed every ocean, seen beautiful sunsets, and golden sands.

But of all his trips the most memorable was across Der Nord See, to a fair town famous for fish, where the buildings reminded him of his dear hometown of Hamburg. And like home he found the people rough and ready, salt of the earth but welcoming. And just like Hamburg he met a woman on a street called Riby Square. And then it gets a bit hazy, I don't understand the idiom but I think it's something about spending the night "active" with her. Then he finds he's got crabs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
Les Brechin
May 13, 2015, 7:13am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It's been a long time since I did it at school, but it's a wistful song told from the point of view of a seamen who'd travelled the world over, seen all the continents, sailed every ocean, seen beautiful sunsets, and golden sands.

But of all his trips the most memorable was across Der Nord See, to a fair town famous for fish, where the buildings reminded him of his dear hometown of Hamburg. And like home he found the people rough and ready, salt of the earth but welcoming. And just like Hamburg he met a woman on a street called Riby Square. And then it gets a bit hazy, I don't understand the idiom but I think it's something about spending the night "active" with her. Then he finds he's got crabs.

Ha ha, brilliant. I wonder if he ever released it in English.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
May 13, 2015, 10:16am
Guest User
Right I'm going to sing Sailing on my bloody own and see who joins in...

Up the Mariners.
Reply: 36 - 49
Bignic69
May 13, 2015, 11:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from 120790
Right I'm going to sing Sailing on my bloody own and see who joins in...

Up the Mariners.

Followed by a chorus of 'you're on your own'

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
moss_side_mariner
May 22, 2015, 6:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from 120790
Just one final comment though. When you do hear "IRENE" coming our way from 30+ thousand Rovers fans, just spare a little thought about this conversation as we reply with any one of our own less powerful. LOL.

i think they sang it twice, but it did sound good. we were a lot louder. this got me thinking about an anthem we could adopt as our own. something catchy with a nautical/maritime theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k9BiDRHANg

i've even heard it said it was played at a trawlermans funeral.

then thought about rovers "IRENE" or stokes "DELILAH" and the link is girls names, so what about....Molly Malone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXKLkLcdtjI

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
Marinerz93
May 22, 2015, 8:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mimma
Sorry Marinerz93, I don't do drugs, but I'd happily buy you a beer if you can find me that is

Not that kind of coke mimma, I was driving that day  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New GTFC Anthem?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.