Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New GTFC Anthem?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 189 Guests

New GTFC Anthem?

This thread currently has 8,893 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
May 12, 2015, 11:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Bignic69

I'm not so sure to be honest, Mariners sounds like we're all having a bit of a whinge.

have you ever seen a film called The Warriors? I've a friend who whenever I talk about gtfc starts chanting Mariners in the "warriors, come out to play" way. Funny but quite annoying
https://youtu.be/aRM2YcGpmxg?t=73
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
Bignic69
May 12, 2015, 12:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Thats a proper old skool movie, I have seen it, that would be quite menacing if we were chanting it like that lol.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
big al
May 12, 2015, 12:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from KingstonMariner
SWWF not good enough?

the best. we never sing it long enough these days. my favourite chant by a country mile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
May 12, 2015, 1:24pm
Guest User
Okay well when I made the original post I thought it would be a little too much to ask for. As soon as I clicked on the post button I thought "I bet this will end up creating a big debate and other suggestions other than just a positive agreement"....

Sorry for any any differences in opinion that this might have caused guys and gals. My intentions were only good intentions. I saw this Wembley final as a real opportunity not to be missed for the Mariners fans to adopt a new anthem, arrive at the stadium on the same page and all prepared and to produce a terrific noise to get behind the team with. I guess I am just desperate for us to create a wall of sound and genuinely feel that if you can pin your club name to a specific anthem, it is something that nurtures a spirit of togetherness between the fans and the crowd and spurs the team on. If the team arrive well prepared with tactics at the ready, then what is wrong with us being the same as fans and supporters.

There are many clubs that have adopted anthems and to hear their fans in full voice behind their teams is really awesome. Believe me, when many thousands of Rovers fans sing "Irene" three or four times at the weekend we will be awe of the sound coming towards us and it will drive their players on. I just wanted us to have something special in our armory.

I don't think it would matter to any great extent what we chose as long as it was a powerful sounding song worthy of being an anthem and that we all agree on it. As terrific as our supporters are, and hey our away fans are terrific, I just feel that our repertoire is a bit limited and a bit outdated. Chants like FISH, Mariners, SWWF , GTFC PH Black n White Army and I long to be GTFC etc.are okay as they go, and of course it is good to have a few in the collection. But I just felt we needed a big un to throw out.

When you listen to the big clubs and their amazing anthems I think it is terrific. It's what you come to associate the clubs with as well as their nicknames. For instance when you think of Liverpool you think of You'll Never Walk Alone or Fields of Anfield Road. And yes I know they have massive support, but our lot sound smashing too when in voice.

Thank you anyway for you view everyone and enjoy your day at Wembley. I hope we are all celebrating together come Sunday tea time.  
Reply: 23 - 49
May 12, 2015, 1:48pm
Guest User
Just one final comment though. When you do hear "IRENE" coming our way from 30+ thousand Rovers fans, just spare a little thought about this conversation as we reply with any one of our own less powerful. LOL.
Reply: 24 - 49
jimgtfc
May 12, 2015, 2:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
I've always loved it when we sing elvis' I can't help falling in love.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
BIGChris
May 12, 2015, 2:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
My ticket is for the play off final not an audition for The Voice
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
cleefish
May 12, 2015, 2:25pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
what about one love that sounds great at a match utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
big al
May 12, 2015, 7:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from 120790
Okay well when I made the original post I thought it would be a little too much to ask for. As soon as I clicked on the post button I thought "I bet this will end up creating a big debate and other suggestions other than just a positive agreement"....

Sorry for any any differences in opinion that this might have caused guys and gals. My intentions were only good intentions. I saw this Wembley final as a real opportunity not to be missed for the Mariners fans to adopt a new anthem, arrive at the stadium on the same page and all prepared and to produce a terrific noise to get behind the team with. I guess I am just desperate for us to create a wall of sound and genuinely feel that if you can pin your club name to a specific anthem, it is something that nurtures a spirit of togetherness between the fans and the crowd and spurs the team on. If the team arrive well prepared with tactics at the ready, then what is wrong with us being the same as fans and supporters.

There are many clubs that have adopted anthems and to hear their fans in full voice behind their teams is really awesome. Believe me, when many thousands of Rovers fans sing "Irene" three or four times at the weekend we will be awe of the sound coming towards us and it will drive their players on. I just wanted us to have something special in our armory.

I don't think it would matter to any great extent what we chose as long as it was a powerful sounding song worthy of being an anthem and that we all agree on it. As terrific as our supporters are, and hey our away fans are terrific, I just feel that our repertoire is a bit limited and a bit outdated. Chants like FISH, Mariners, SWWF , GTFC PH Black n White Army and I long to be GTFC etc.are okay as they go, and of course it is good to have a few in the collection. But I just felt we needed a big un to throw out.

When you listen to the big clubs and their amazing anthems I think it is terrific. It's what you come to associate the clubs with as well as their nicknames. For instance when you think of Liverpool you think of You'll Never Walk Alone or Fields of Anfield Road. And yes I know they have massive support, but our lot sound smashing too when in voice.

Thank you anyway for you view everyone and enjoy your day at Wembley. I hope we are all celebrating together come Sunday tea time.  

who knows - might happen yet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
lee65
May 12, 2015, 9:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Bignic69
Thats a proper old skool movie, I have seen it, that would be quite menacing if we were chanting it like that lol.

Great film The Warriors, but you cant clink together plastic cups together while chanting  http://www.thefishy.co.uk/blahdocs/Smilies/wink.png
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New GTFC Anthem?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.