barralad
May 1, 2015, 11:20am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry
Did Gary score the equaliser at Wolves in the League Cup replay, I remember we went on the special train that broke down in Lincoln and we arrived late. I think we were 1-0 down and seem to remember it was Gary that scored at the far end of the ground.

I have tried searching on google but no luck.

It definitely was mate! I think it went in off his back/shoulder/ar*e but as I remember none of us cared very much!

I also remember him scoring two in the first game of that season in a 4-1 win over Exeter in what must have been his debut....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
BIGChris
May 1, 2015, 12:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Good player as many have stated above but also a larger than life character off the pitch too.

Some will remember that he attended the Mariners Trust 1980 reunion dinner. At the evening Gary approached me and said he had brought some memorabilia with him which he would like to donate. He told me he was staying at the Dovedale and I arranged to visit him the following morning at 11am.

When I arrived i told the receptionist i had come to see Mr Liddell who was a guests with them. She looked in her book and looked up at me and said

'erm.......I dont think Mr Liddell will be up yet'

When i enquired why. she told me that when she turned up for work at 8.45 that morning she found Gary asleep on the floor behind the reception desk and struggled to wake him. She said he was very drunk.

She showed me to his room and as we approached the door was wide open. I expected to find him sleeping off his hangover. As I peered in, he was stood there, beaming smile and ready to take on the world. Fresh as a daisy!

He was ready to go again and he was meeting Joe Waters & Mike Lester at 12 noon for another session.

RIP Gary.

PS Gary's match worn shirt which he gave me that day is in the Family Lounge bar.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
arryarryarry
May 1, 2015, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from barralad

It definitely was mate! I think it went in off his back/shoulder/ar*e but as I remember none of us cared very much!

I also remember him scoring two in the first game of that season in a 4-1 win over Exeter in what must have been his debut....

Cheers
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
ginnywings
May 1, 2015, 1:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
The LJL of his day? Much derided but better than given credit for. Would run through a brick wall for the team.

RIP Gary.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
AdamHaddock
May 1, 2015, 2:32pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,803
Gold Stars: 25
RIP

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
HertsGTFC
May 1, 2015, 2:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Sad news RIP, always played with a smile on his face from what I remember.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
cannylad68
May 1, 2015, 2:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
[quote=799]The LJL of his day? Much derided but better than given credit for. Would run through a brick wall for the team.

LJL

You must be joking.

He was an excellent player, coming to us from Leeds United.

I spoke with him on a few occasions and found him to be a very nice and humble person.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
BIGChris
May 1, 2015, 2:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
LIDDELL
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 1, 2015, 3:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIGChris
LIDDELL

Oh sod it, somebody noticed! Serves me right for copy and paste from the club website!

As people have said, Gary was more than just a journeyman runabout centre forward. He had great skill and could pick a pass at a much higher level than we are now. His link up play with Joe Waters was excellent. Thoroughly nice chap as well.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
ginnywings
May 1, 2015, 4:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from cannylad68
[quote=799]The LJL of his day? Much derided but better than given credit for. Would run through a brick wall for the team.

LJL

You must be joking.

He was an excellent player, coming to us from Leeds United.

I spoke with him on a few occasions and found him to be a very nice and humble person.

No, not joking. He was way better than LJL but got a lot of stick. We were at a lot higher level then and he got plenty of abuse as I remember it. That's my memory anyway.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › RIP Gary Liddle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.