5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
April 28, 2015, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 518
Matt Tubbs was rumoured to be on £13,000 a week having signed for Bournemouth in 2012 when they were in League One.

Don't get me wrong Howe has done a great job both with and without money, you also have to spend the money right.   But I do laugh at the idea of plucky little Bournemouth overachieving against the odds.  
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
diehardmariner
April 28, 2015, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from Maringer
What do they say, again? Football is all about momentum.

Bournemouth reacted incredibly well to a 17 point deduction and transfer embargo to earn their escape relegation and their momentum continued the next season and so on.

On the other hand, we managed to escape relegation being rubbish, but relying on huge points deductions to other clubs. Our downward momentum continued the following season (thanks to some appalling management) and we're only just about on an upward trajectory even now, years later.

I'm not envious of Bournemouth, just frustrated with our own failures since then.

Even leaving that game at Bournemouth on the back of a 2-1 defeat I was very optimistic for the future.  During the summer we managed to secure three of the four loanees who played a massive role in our survival (the one we didn't keep in Hennessy we managed to get a former Irish international in his place), tied our prized asset and club captain down to a long-term contract, we looked decent in pre-season and season ticket sales were very good.

Fast forward to half-time of the opening day away at Cheltenham.  1-0 up and looking absolutely superb, there and then I thought we were going to walk the league.  The home side bring on 75-year-old Barry Hayles and we collapsed.

The rest is history.  
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
Les Brechin
April 28, 2015, 10:45am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from diehardmariner

Even leaving that game at Bournemouth on the back of a 2-1 defeat I was very optimistic for the future.  During the summer we managed to secure three of the four loanees who played a massive role in our survival (the one we didn't keep in Hennessy we managed to get a former Irish international in his place), tied our prized asset and club captain down to a long-term contract, we looked decent in pre-season and season ticket sales were very good.

Fast forward to half-time of the opening day away at Cheltenham.  1-0 up and looking absolutely superb, there and then I thought we were going to walk the league.  The home side bring on 75-year-old Barry Hayles and we collapsed.

The rest is history.  

Grrrrr, people like you really annoy me! Those who exaggerate just to make their point.

Hayles was only 72 at the time!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
arryarryarry
April 28, 2015, 10:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Teestogreen

When you consider that Bournemouth and Rotherham had 17 points each removed in that table, you have to say that going in to administration paid dividends - (there must be some creditors somewhere that weren't best pleased).

Grimsby, meanwhile continued to try and pay its bills and take the drop, it seems.

Well done Bournemouth - (with a slightly hollow tone)

Nothing to do with that, we are where we are because of crap decisions by the board and crap decisions by the manager(s)
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
Maringer
April 28, 2015, 12:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Yeah, I remember being upbeat after that Cheltenham game, thinking we'd have a good season ahead of us. It took a few games before I realised it was going to be a struggle!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
biggles9999
April 28, 2015, 12:13pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I saw a report that Bournemouth only spent an average Championship budget this season.  They had money in hand from selling players, including Danny Ings to Burnley. Fair play to them.

Howe must be some manager:  he develops Danny Ings, buys him when AT Burnley, getting the credit for signing a top young striker, then returms to Bournemouth, uses the new funding, gets them promoted, then Bourrnemouth in line for sell-on money when Burnley sell Ings.

One sunday paper this week did give good coverage to the Bounrmeough v Town game which kept them in the League.  We started their success.  

Ahh the old Football Manager trick, take over United sign a player for £20 million and off you go.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
RichMariner
April 28, 2015, 12:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I'm massively envious of Bournemouth and don't mind admitting it.

What Eddie Howe has achieved is incredible. Forget the billionaire Russian owner for a minute - purely from a coaching and managing perspective, he's done wonders with 'average' Championship players.

What I'm slightly confused about is their financial position...

The club lost £15.3m in the financial year ending July 2013 and in total, their net debt is just over £15.5m. They only just passed Financial Fair Play regulations earlier this season. Taken from [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32315677[/url]

It seems to me like they've overspent massively for such a 'small' club, but compared to the spending in the rest of the Championship it's probably not that much. Is that right?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Maringer
April 28, 2015, 12:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Their record signing is £3 million which is remarkable for a club of their size. That's like six Lee Ashcrofts!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
pontoonlew
April 28, 2015, 2:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from diehardmariner
Matt Tubbs was rumoured to be on £13,000 a week having signed for Bournemouth in 2012 when they were in League One.

Don't get me wrong Howe has done a great job both with and without money, you also have to spend the money right.   But I do laugh at the idea of plucky little Bournemouth overachieving against the odds.  

Bournemouths spending pales into insignificance when you compare it to the majority of clubs who have previously got promoted from The Championship, it's an almighty achievement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
psgmariner
April 28, 2015, 3:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from RichMariner
The club lost £15.3m in the financial year ending July 2013 and in total, their net debt is just over £15.5m. They only just passed Financial Fair Play regulations earlier this season. Taken from [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32315677[/url]

It seems to me like they've overspent massively for such a 'small' club, but compared to the spending in the rest of the Championship it's probably not that much. Is that right?

"I vaguely remember the commentary 'It's Fletcher…Legend!' as he smashed home a loose ball in the box," recalls BBC Radio Solent commentator Laurence Herdman.

"The big man ripped off his shirt during the goal celebration in front of the main stand revealing a muscular physique and rippling bodybuilder biceps.

Bit gay.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bournemouth

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.