This thread currently has 5,922 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Fcukthescunts
April 18, 2015, 6:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Well very much an end of season performance.
Back 5 looked dodgy IMO when pressured Parslow has the touch of a elephant! In midfield Paddy looked like someone who didn't want to be there, Brown ran about a lot but didn't do much. Clay was ok but seen him play better. Chappell did well I thought and Mackreth looked on it when he came on. Strikers well I now see what Hurst doesn't like about Palmer. Pittman looked better when Palmer went off.
Note the wind was an issue but Southport managed the conditions better. Overall fair result. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
BIGChris
April 18, 2015, 7:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Agree with most of that. Pearson and Gowling looked like strangers. magnay nor Parslow looked comfortable.

Paddy had the chance to show what he can do but fell flat.

Second half Southport responded to a half time rocket, got in our faces and took the game to us. We didn't really have the stomach for the fight for long periods.

Brown got two assists, the 2nd was the type of corner we have been crying out for all season, Chapple looked lively enough and should have had a penalty(?), Palmer continues to disappoint and Pittman doesn't look anything like th employer he was early in the season. A headache as to who partners the Shop on the play offs? Maybe Hannah will get a start next week?

I would be surprised if any Town fan was shocked at the performance, a nothing game, a dead rubber and as expected in showed

The players to emerge with the most credit were Disley, John-Lewis, Arnold, Mackreth
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
RoboCod
April 18, 2015, 8:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Scored from a corner though! If we can just remember how we did it......might come in handy for the future.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
TownSNAFU5
April 18, 2015, 8:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Worrying that we were not very strong at the back.  Defending is supposed to be our strength over the whole season generally.  We have a player but have to make the most of this.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
HertsGTFC
April 18, 2015, 10:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Big Problems up front.......... Everyone else in the play off mix are scoring a few home and away our strikers have dried up. So out of the six we have Palmer not sure TBH, Lenny has regressed to the Lenny of last year, JP......Good lad but has been better, Jolley? shame he is injured as I would have liked to have seen him down the middle as he looks like he has quick feet if nothing else. So next week throw in Ross and Hamish? Thought Ross should have had a start today TBH.        

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
barralad
April 18, 2015, 10:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
First half we were in no difficulty at all. I cannot remember Maccas goal being threatened. Having said that we weren't much better. Brown deserves credit for the ball to Chapple for Town's first goal.

Second half they went for the jugular from the kick off and we managed our seemingly usual "Back off the man with the ball". It was a great finish but no-one in a blue shirt got within five yards of him. Macca just rooted to the spot.
Their second goal was all Macca's fault-flapped at the ball only succeeding in setting up their lad who couldn't believe his luck!
Hurst gets flak for his subs or more correctly lack of but got it bang on today. I've made no secret of the fact that I think Mackreth is no better than any of the three previous number sevens but he was bloody good today-the only Town player prepared to run at the opposition and they couldn't handle him!
Great corner from Brown and a brilliant header from Pearson.
2-2 a fair result in the end. Third place secured.
Last word about the ref. The decision to award a free kick against Chapple after he'd got behind the defender who then hauled him down has to be the worst single decision I've seen in a season absolutely rife with them. Totally bottled it...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
HertsGTFC
April 18, 2015, 10:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Could not go today as working till noon but sh1t that Chappell free kick decision must have been bad if that's the worst seen this year as the refs have been effing crap in the Conference.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2015, 11:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Mackreth is much maligned. Too much. IMO. Seems to crop up with valuable contributions often enough.

Never noticed it before but right back in September when we played Aldershot it was his harrying of their fullback and CD that led to the ball bearing cleared to Neilson. The first goal at Barnet was down to his persistence. His goal and assist v Gateshead. Sure he's not perfect (but who is in this squad). Don't be surprised if he does the biz in the play off final.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
bobbyturtle
April 19, 2015, 1:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Mackreth is much maligned. Too much. IMO. Seems to crop up with valuable contributions often enough.

Never noticed it before but right back in September when we played Aldershot it was his harrying of their fullback and CD that led to the ball bearing cleared to Neilson. The first goal at Barnet was down to his persistence. His goal and assist v Gateshead. Sure he's not perfect (but who is in this squad). Don't be surprised if he does the biz in the play off final.

i would settle for that utm

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Mrs Doyle
April 19, 2015, 7:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Jack is a great lad but more than most he is a confidence player he has the ability to go round people but often cuts inside but if he can score screamers like that one the other week I'll forgive him lol.

Needs help when teams double up on him sometimes when Magg's as the ball I am sure is hoping Jack will make a run down the line instead of coming  short most of the time.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
aldi_01
April 19, 2015, 8:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In Mackreths defence he seems to have hit too confidence and form at the right time.

The back four was leggy but nothing more. Macca was at clear fault for their second, a few times he's been at fault this year.

Brown doesn't offer anything for me, would much rather see Clay and Dizza in there and Palmer is frustrating. We know he can chip in with a goal, hence why he starts but i do think him and shop are better partnership.

It ended up playing out like a nothing game, the weather was nice, we didn't lose, we scored 2 decent goals and some players got a much needed run out.
Next week will be similar. Anyone remember us tearing Newport apart last day only to be out foxes in the playoffs? I think we'd all take that now...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
gobby
April 19, 2015, 9:14am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 7
First half seemed a stroll, good delivery from Brown easy placed goal from Chappell. Very poor start 2nd half, again an outside the box strike which we could not close down and Macca flapping for their second, good subs from PH and Jack M changed the game as he scared the hell out of their defence. cracking header from Pearson.Not too concerned for the play offs but please PH keep Paddy Mac off the squad list for the pay offs.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
Calamarikid
April 19, 2015, 3:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -395
Quoted from Fcukthescunts
Well very much an end of season performance.
Back 5 looked dodgy IMO when pressured Parslow has the touch of a elephant! In midfield Paddy looked like someone who didn't want to be there, Brown ran about a lot but didn't do much. Clay was ok but seen him play better. Chappell did well I thought and Mackreth looked on it when he came on. Strikers well I now see what Hurst doesn't like about Palmer. Pittman looked better when Palmer went off.
Note the wind was an issue but Southport managed the conditions better. Overall fair result. UTM

Brown didn't do much?he was our most advanced midfielder all match and laid on both goals.Jesus wept...what does this lad have to do for some of our so called supporters to give him credit?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
MuddyWaters
April 19, 2015, 3:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Calamarikid

Brown didn't do much?he was our most advanced midfielder all match and laid on both goals.Jesus wept...what does this lad have to do for some of our so called supporters to give him credit?

Have to say Scott Brown hasn't had the impact I hoped he would this season.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
nightrider
April 19, 2015, 3:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Southport were the better team. Pretty even at half time, both teams useless with very few chances created. Second half was all Southport until the last ten minutes when they must have tired. Mckeown looked dodgy all game
Speaking to a Southport fan after the game, he reckoned other than the players on the bench they didn't have any others available.
Is it me or do we struggle when John Lewis isn't on the pitch? If we cant hoof it down the middle to him, were buggered
Jack Mackreth is a good impact player, the most positive we have. Why he gets so much stick is beyond me. He provides more entertainment in 9 seconds than Paul Hurst has done in the last 9 months.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
headingly_mariner
April 19, 2015, 8:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Calamarikid

I thought that barring the two good deliveries the game passed him by, he gave the ball away far too much and was pretty ineffective at winning it back. For me he has really struggled the last few games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
chaos33
April 19, 2015, 8:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I remember seeing him for Southport last season and then for us in pre-season through first part of the season and thinking that he was going to be really influential for us, and that he had many aspects as a central midfielder that we had been lacking for a while. I suppose we all must have thought similar. He was everywhere - using it well, always wanting the ball, making things happen and ...scoring goals, He's faded quite badly for me, and looks a shadow of that player.  He did suffer an injury and I think he just hasn't recaptured that earlier form and sparkle. For me, the play offs are make or break for him. We need the old Scot Brown to stand up big and deliver if selected.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Fcukthescunts
April 19, 2015, 8:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Quoted from Calamarikid

I saw it very much as Headingley Mariner... I saw him for Southport against us last season and he ran the show for them involved in everything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
HertsGTFC
April 19, 2015, 9:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I remember seeing him for Southport last season and then for us in pre-season through first part of the season and thinking that he was going to be really influential for us, and that he had many aspects as a central midfielder that we had been lacking for a while. I suppose we all must have thought similar. He was everywhere - using it well, always wanting the ball, making things happen and ...scoring goals, He's faded quite badly for me, and looks a shadow of that player.  He did suffer an injury and I think he just hasn't recaptured that earlier form and sparkle. For me, the play offs are make or break for him. We need the old Scot Brown to stand up big and deliver if selected.

Brownie - After getting injured at Torquay he has looked a shadow of those first few games, and came back looking like he was carrying some timber too but despite things not progressing how they suggested he certainly appears to want to play his part and I for one hope he stays for another year regardless of what division we are in.    

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
arryarryarry
April 19, 2015, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,939
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I thought that barring the two good deliveries the game passed him by, he gave the ball away far too much and was pretty ineffective at winning it back. For me he has really struggled the last few games.

I would agree with that.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
forza ivano
April 20, 2015, 9:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from BIGChris

Paddy had the chance to show what he can do but fell flat.

Now there' s a surprise!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2015, 12:55am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Bit harsh on Paddy. Give him one game and write him off.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
arryarryarry
April 21, 2015, 10:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,939
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Bit harsh on Paddy. Give him one game and write him off.

To be honest I have not been impressed with him since he signed and have said so many times, he just doesn't look fit to me unless that is his laid back style of playing.

He doesn't have pace and gives the ball away too many times and yes he was poor on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.