2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Badger57
April 16, 2015, 8:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
Shortly after the Bradford fire there was a possible similar outcome at BP.
We were in the pontoon and in those days you could see through the wooden steps to the piles of paper and rubbish that had fallen through over many many years just as at Bradford. Probably because it was still very much in mind I happened to look down and saw a few glowing embers below. I panicked a bit and said to others around me that we ought to get out the stand but nobody was interested as I think we'd just scored a goal and there was much jubilation as you would expect. There were no mobile phones in those days but fortunately one of the stewards below had spotted it too and had gone down to put it out. I doubt anyone else saw or remembers this but I do.
The guy who has the book was on Jeremy Vine today recalling his horrific memories of that day. I found his recolllections very very moving.
There but for the grace of God and all that.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
KingstonMariner
April 16, 2015, 10:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I can feel sympathy for the bloke in losing family in the fire but it seems pretty obvious that this is conspiracy theory based on personal motive. If the owner had wanted to raise money then setting a fire would not help in any way and the notion of him doing it on a match day is just ridiculous whatever his previous track record. The book seems to me to start with the conclusion that the fire was deliberate then work towards "proving" it and ignores the evidence that points in the sensible direction of accidental deaths. The only thing the chairman could be guilty of is having a stand with awful safety issues but in those days that applied to most clubs in lower leagues. Think about the Barrett Stand.

The Barrett Stand wouldn't have gone up in flames. It was soaked through in urine.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
northbankmariner
April 17, 2015, 12:39am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
I remember the incident badger 57 is referring to. I was in the pontoon that day as well. Looking back at it now it could easily have gone up in flames, horrible how those fans suffered.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
FishOutOfWater
April 17, 2015, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from northbankmariner
I remember the incident badger 57 is referring to. I was in the pontoon that day as well. Looking back at it now it could easily have gone up in flames, horrible how those fans suffered.

I also remember the same thing happening while we were playing Sheffield Utd, the day we got promoted in May 1980

Only a small fire with some of the debris that the wind had blown under the Pontoon that didn't really catch but there could have been a disaster waiting to happen that day, given how packed the ground was that day  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 19
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 17, 2015, 2:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The Barrett Stand wouldn't have gone up in flames. It was soaked through in urine.

You forget the urine alcohol content  - it would have gone up like a distillery!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
grimsby pete
April 17, 2015, 9:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I can remember a few small fires in the old Ponny,

We used to pee on them and put them out.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
scrumble
April 17, 2015, 9:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
If the owner had wanted to raise money then setting a fire would not help in any way

But surely seven previous fires prove otherwise

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 19
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 17, 2015, 11:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from scrumble

But surely seven previous fires prove otherwise

No it doesn't. Even if seven previous fires were criminal (and there is only this bloke's word for that) they did not involve setting fire to something that contained several hundred people at the time. Even if nobody was hurt there would be compensation claims and no insurance company would pay out on a stand with so many safety issues. He would be sued for every penny he had.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 19
aldi_01
April 18, 2015, 6:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Not sure if it has been mentioned but I suspect this guy is just trying to promote his book. Could be a clever piece of fiction masquerading as fact or there could be some truth. I'm not sure we will ever find out, let's face it, they're still doing well at cover up some stuff from Hillsborough at an independent inquest.

It's no consolation for the victims families either but this chap, along with others also received payouts nearer the time. This chap had family who owned a successful business in Cleethorpes, a younger brother/cousin, can never remember was in my year at school.

Would openin an inquest have implications on previous payouts? All I know is that its a can of worms that could've opened...coincidence, conspiracy or reality?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
April 18, 2015, 7:29am
Guest User
I heard an interview on talksport with the chap that has released this book. He's a geek, only given time by the media because they are hungry for new revelations following the Hillsborough cover up. The timing isn't a coincident either. I wouldn't give him the time of day.
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bradford Fire

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.