GYinScuntland
April 13, 2015, 12:15pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from chaos33
I would just add this: too often people get the cart before the horse on this issue of the crowd and the team.
I was at the Gateshead match along with almost 6000 other Town fans. The whole ground was right behind the club as kick off approached and well into the game. Everybody buried their doubts and fears and shouted and sung. It was the best atmosphere I've experienced in a long time at Blundell Park and I really enjoyed being part of it. Meanwhile, on the pitch, the team really didn't get going in the first half at at all, subsequently falling behind. Yes it went quiet then until we equalised. The volume increased dramatically and the fans got excited again - trying to lift the players with their singing and chanting. We missed an immediate chance to take the lead whilst that was happening (Palmer) and then failed to put any real pressure on them at 1-1. Everyone knows the rest.

The performance was decent at best. The fans seemed like they wanted it and believed it more than the players. I can't see that we can do much more than that. The Alfreton away victory was a good piece of work by everyone and then the Wrexham game comes along, and the whole team fails to turn up. Now when have I seen that before from Town?

Whether or not the fans believe we can get promoted or not is not the decisive factor in this situation in my opinion. Our fans have been superb and react to what they see on the pitch. They pay for that right. We all keep coming back, giving it another go, forgeting the past and getting our hopes up and all that.

I know some are happy that we've secured a play off spot and are philosophical about falling out of the title race (lets call it that), but I'm angry that we bowed out with a whimper, and, as far as yesterday is concerned, with a weak collective effort not worthy of the support from the public. We wasted a golden opportunity because, in more than two full seasons, Hurst hasn't figured out how to get his team to take advantage of playing at home on a good pitch, with glory to play for and a big crowd desparate to burst into life and cheer them all the way as a clear incentive. Not just once. Not just yesterday, or a few weeks ago, but every few games, amounting to nearly half a home season, every f*cking season!

I hope the players believe they can do it, because that's what counts. It doesn't matter what I think. I hope we can do it, and I'll act like we can as a supporter in the stadium.

One of the best posts I've read in recent week .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.